Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The Standard Of Refereeing In The Premier Division

Undoubtedly the guys (and gals) who officiate at this level have earned the right to be there (can''t believe I''ve just said that!).

But will they treat us fairly?

I seem to remember last time we were there we got the rough end of the stick from some of them. Do you think the Refs will be slightly less impartial towards us than the bigger clubs? After all I''d bet that Man U are more likely to get a penalty at Carrow Road for a ''possible'' foul than we are to get one at Old Trafford for a ''stonewaller''. I think some of the officials are afraid of upsetting certain managers because of the backlash, but  will they think that we are ''Little old Norwich'' and favour the big guns?

can someone help cure my ignorance and explain the phrase ''stonewaller''.  i know what it means - definate, without doubt etc.. but don''t get the reference to stone walls!  is it just another one of those old cliche sayings that lost its original meaning many moons ago?

you can tell it''s off season i know!

The term came to be used in Parliament for the blocking of legislation by long-winded procedures that were not meaningful or responsive. This led tp the meaning of non-cooperation, especially in the supplying of information.

STONEWALL - WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

What is the first recorded use of the word "stonewall" to mean "absolutely certain", as in "it was a stonewall penalty"? The Chambers Dictionary lists "stonewall" as a verb, not an adjective.

"I believe that stonewalling was originally an Australian term used by politicians for delaying tactics," says Ray Routledge. "There was also an American Civil War general, Thomas Jackson, who was nicknamed Stonewall because during the Battle of Bull Run in 1861 he stood firm, ''like a stone wall''. In a sporting context I think it was first applied in cricket when a batsman would play constant defensive shots, blocking every delivery so as to minimise the risk of getting out."

But Mark Power claims: "Chambers is right: "stonewall" is a verb, as in "to block obdurately, or Defensively". I suspect what Seamus or Ron have seen is a stone-cold penalty, as in "dead obvious", or "a no-brainer".

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]I remember Lauren of Arsenal pulling back Huckerby (virtually clear on goal) = just a yellow! Since then that would be a red without even thinking. Things have changed[/quote]

I seem to remember the Ref got out of that by giving us a free kick further back for ''an earlier incident'', thus meaning he had no decision to make about that particular foul. I''m sure had it been the other way round we would have been down to 10 men

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]I remember Lauren of Arsenal pulling back Huckerby (virtually clear on goal) = just a yellow! Since then that would be a red without even thinking. Things have changed[/quote]

I seem to remember the Ref got out of that by giving us a free kick further back for ''an earlier incident'', thus meaning he had no decision to make about that particular foul. I''m sure had it been the other way round we would have been down to 10 men.

Re. the Holt/Reading incident.Are more players in the Prem likely to do an Ian Harte or have the Refs wisened up to the scammers?  

"The Ref" in the Arsenal game, when Huckerby was dragged down by Lauren, was none other than Mr Poll.

After the game, he said he whistled at an earlier point in the move after his assistant had flagged. You could see the footage as clear as day from a different angle which showed no flag and no whistle, clearly a fabricated lie.

Sadly, we will get the thin end of the wedge decision wise, that''s a given as a newly-promoted team in the Prem up against the big boys.

Don''t forget added time puzzles that seem to occur frequently in Prem games. If one of the big boys is losing or tied at 90, there are often way more than expected added minutes.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]I remember Lauren of Arsenal pulling back Huckerby (virtually clear on goal) = just a yellow!

Since then that would be a red without even thinking. Things have changed[/quote]no it wouldnt... we were playing a big 4 side....later that season collins John got sent off against Arsenal whilst playing for Fulham for doing the exact same thing... it was the same referee too..... win at all costs or helped out a bit?

Worthy''s approach was you just have to live with the decisions and get on with it.  Not the approach of Ferguson, Wenger etc.

I''m hoping Lambert will make sure officials are picked up when they give bad decisions against us !

If I remember correctly Huckerby was the most fouled player in the league that year.

However much favouritism the top teams get surely the refs can''t be as bad as last season''s?

Also as regards lots of added time, who knows it may help us, we all know how much the team likes injury time :)

You have got to remember that with the quicker and more skillful players, and likelihood of more posession and territorial advantage, teams like Man United and that are always likely to get more penalties. Say they have 3 ''maybes'' in a match and get 1 penalty, their opposition will maybe have 1 ''maybe'' and no penalties.

You make your own luck in the long run. I do agree that there are some shocking decisions though, and certainly the referee does get pressurised at home grounds. I think there should perhaps be more in place for the referee to do his job with as especially in high stakes games in the premiership, not enough is invested in keeping them consistent and fair.

The blame for this does not maybe solely fall on the man in black, look at the bigger picture.

Yes it did Mahogany, but we were the big boys last year and maybe some of those games went longer than they should have. I wondered at the time and asked about it but never got a clear answer. Certainly if we are down 1 at 90 min. vs. Man U. there will not be a magically long added time although it likely will happen if the game is tied or we''re winning by 1.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Undoubtedly the guys (and gals) who officiate at this level have earned the right to be there (can''t believe I''ve just said that!).

But will they treat us fairly?

[/quote]

I really fear the worst for us.

Maybe we are shaking off the ''Little Old Norwich'' tag, but perhaps someone should tell the officials.

We deserve better, Man Yoo or the others wouldn''t have conceded the penalty or had the man sent off, so why should we ?