Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Could Ruddy?

Get an England call up this season if he performed well. I know the notion sounds absolutely ridiculous but take a step back and think about it. Hart is obviously the undisputed number 1 but after that there are no names which jump out at you. Robert Green, Ben Foster and Paul Robinson are all retired from international football. Scott Carson has moved to Bursapor in Turkey so he is likely to become a forgotten man. I know this speaks volumes for how bad the English goalkeeping situation is. But there is an opportunity for Ruddy (particularly if David Stockdale can get a call up!), whether he can grasp is another matter. Putting the tin hat now.

Interesting theory, and not as crazy as it first appears on first read!I guess only time will tell, the lad has a big season ahead of him!

[quote user="morty"]Interesting theory, and not as crazy as it first appears on first read!

I guess only time will tell, the lad has a big season ahead of him!
[/quote]

It is a big season for him. His platform is the arguably the best league in world. If you perform there, you must have a shout. Particularly as only Steve Harper also played top flight football last year out of available England keepers.

it''s in his own hands, so to speak.  as morty says, a lot will depend on how well he plays this year - for him, and so many of our team, this is the biggest season of their careers

As Morty said, this isn''t as crazy as it may first sound, if he has a good season then who knows, he certainly doesn''t have loads of competition, Frankie Fielding and maybe Forster if they are playing regularly at a decent level.

Robert Green isn''t actually retired is he?

But I agree, and I think thats a good motivation for him to have. I think he is really under rated and all the De Vries and Westwood being best keepers in Championship. I would put Ruddy in the same bracket. I think he has made some top class saves and would rather him the Forster any day of the week.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]Robert Green isn''t actually retired is he? But I agree, and I think thats a good motivation for him to have. I think he is really under rated and all the De Vries and Westwood being best keepers in Championship. I would put Ruddy in the same bracket. I think he has made some top class saves and would rather him the Forster any day of the week.[/quote]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8527125/England-management-to-ask-West-Hams-Robert-Green-whether-he-will-continue-international-retirement.html

I think he came back as an emergency because there was no one else. But he seems to have indicated he doesnt want to be included in future squads.

Will get slated for this, but Ruddy is not a great GK.

Set pieces his positioning is awful.

Good shot stopper yes, but not confident with him between the sticks.

I must agree with you Merv. I would love to see Ruddy improve but I fear he is not good enough for the Prem and he always gave me the shudders many times last season.

Give me Forster any time.

IMO Ruddy will never go much further than a club who is top half Championship/lower half Premiership however due to the very low amount of good English keepers he could actually get a call up.  As soon as someone like Foster or Carson are reviewed for having good games on Match of the Day people are screaming for them to be called up and this could easily happen to Ruddy if he hits some good form.  This could certainly be a good incentive for him.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Will get slated for this, but Ruddy is not a great GK. Set pieces his positioning is awful. Good shot stopper yes, but not confident with him between the sticks.[/quote]

I doubt you''ll get slated as a lot of posters agree with you and it would be underserved. You are after all only offering your opinion. Personally, I think he will be up for the job next season. You could see as the season went on that his confidence grew and I don''t think the FF love from large parts of the CR faithful helped him when he first came here. Whilst I agree on the matter of positioning for FK''s this is certainly something that he can work on. Others have criticised him for a lack of commanding his area. I feel that a soild preseason knowing who the defence are will make a huge difference.

I sadly think he will be picking the ball out of his own net alot this season so i wouldn''t count on an england call up.

This is not a dig at Ruddy but if he ended the season as an England keeper, I think we can wave goodbye to any success in the Euro''s!

John Ruddy should be in the England team and it''s as simple as that, folks. However the day he and Holty make the England side is the day I win the lottery!

Sadly if you are English and a Goalkeeper in the premier league you can get in the international side.. you dont have to be that good either! (Scott Carson)

Talking of the ''great'' Scott Carson, here''s his first game for Bursaspor. Comical to say the least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS_CiwL07ck

"This is not a dig at Ruddy but if he ended the season as an England keeper, I think we can wave goodbye to any success in the Euro''s! "

What chance of success in the euros?

Richard Wright could always be recalled for international duty.

Oops, sorry.

Ruddy could well be in contention with a few decent displays next season, but it would be by default.

I quite rate the player, especally his attitude, but England goalkeeper? No way.

I recall the time that we had such a wealth of talent in that position that one England manager, was it Grenwood, had to alternate two for internationals, Shilton and Clemence.

Home grown players, in all positions, are being pushed out by foreign imports. We all know this and if the trend keeps up for much longer, then Capello will spend as much time at Championship grounds than Premiership grounds looking for his team.

I will say this now and will get slated for it but here it goes.

I HATE anyone who says bring back fraser forster Ruddy simply isnt good enough because quite simply you''re wrong if Fraser Forster was that brilliant then PL would have broken the bank for him but he didnt need to because he had seen a good quality keeper in Ruddy who made a couple of mistakes last season that get thrown in his face but yet all the Fraser Forster mistakes, sending offs miskicks seem to be forgotten funny that!!!!!!!!!!!

TEAM RUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND''S NO1!!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Sadly if you are English and a Goalkeeper in the premier league you can get in the international side.. you dont have to be that good either! (Scott Carson)
[/quote]

That''s my theory in a nutshell Jas. Who is he competing with realistically? As things stand Steve Harper, Joe Hart and John Ruddy are the only English goalkeepers likely to start in the Premiership who are available for England duty. So if he gave a decent account of himself he must have a chance. Although like I said it illustrates just how bare the English goalkeeping cupboard is.

I think a few of you lot have been on a trip to Fantasy Island.  We''ll leak goals like a sieve this coming season.  And how I feel about it is,  we''re going for the ''rather win 3-2 affair rather than 1-0''.

In a word No.

Not good enough, watch the DVD of last season, there were so many shots that went under his body.

There are at least 7-8 keepers ahead of him.

Ruddy has made some very good saves at the same time.

I think we should get a 2nd keeper with a wealth of experience who can help Ruddy develop his game.

This time last year I and many were doubting Russell Martin, so I think he deserves his chance.

In August last year Watfords Scott Loach and Blackburn''s Frankie Fielding were called up to the bench for the Hungary match. I''m pretty sure if Capello is capable of doing this, he''s more than capable of calling up Ruddy.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]Ruddy has made some very good saves at the same time.

I think we should get a 2nd keeper with a wealth of experience who can help Ruddy develop his game.

This time last year I and many were doubting Russell Martin, so I think he deserves his chance.[/quote]

Reliable source (I know I know) has told me today that in a conversation with a very prominent (non playing) member of NCFC, he has said that we are not in the market for another keeper ,as PL is happy to have Declan Rudd as the number 2 keeper.

Personally I would want an experienced back up and send Steer out on loan.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Will get slated for this, but Ruddy is not a great GK.

Set pieces his positioning is awful.

Good shot stopper yes, but not confident with him between the sticks.[/quote]Spot on... [Y]  This must be the comedy season surely???I think that it is critical that we sign a new goialkeeper unless we want a real scrap on our hands at the wrong end of the table this season.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

In August last year Watfords Scott Loach and Blackburn''s Frankie Fielding were called up to the bench for the Hungary match. I''m pretty sure if Capello is capable of doing this, he''s more than capable of calling up Ruddy.

[/quote]This is true.  Capello is an absolute clown as far as international management goes.Best he go back in gto club management where he can buy success at a big club!