Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

The Banner!

[quote user="a1canary"] Kevin Piper will be able to advise sensibly on it too. He''s coming back to me tomorrow.[/quote]

Sorry but what advice can a TV presenter/pundit give on this matter?

Whilst I am totally up for the banner, can''t we have something a little more long term NCFC! I suggest a "Let''s Be ''Avin You" one!

jeesus, I really love the can do attitude of some people! I don''t know tilly, maybe after many many years being a fan and working around the club, interviewing staff he may have an idea about whether it''s a goer. simply being a fan doesn''t stop people on here giving their ''advice''.

however, the principle reason for his involvement clearly is to get some media coverage.

We''ve got to remember we are now a well run, professional club with a corporate approach to business. As soon as Mr McNally becomes invovled the banner will be scrutinised for health and safety, fire safety, repuatation management/pr risks etc. and then take an age to get a decision.This is a CRACKING idea and for it work it needs to be kept informal and be fan led. In the words of Nike Just Do ItThanks and well done OP. More than happy to contribute a fiver or whatever is agreed...(providing this is kept simple!)

Starting ''with the end in mind'' - where is the proposed banner going to go?

Uptake on sponsorship sales is likely to be higher since our promotion to the Prem - are there any gaps left?

There is no way a banner will be allowed to block the view of paid-for sponsorship, so a suitable vacant position would need to be agreed with the club.

Putting aside the fact that I can''t think of anywhere for this banner to go, and that needs to be discussed with the commercial team at Carrow Road to work out places where advertising doesn''t sit, and the size of those spaces, I can see a major flaw here. I would be happy to throw a fiver in the direction of a decent banner, but not that one. St Paul''s Cathedral is a place of worship for the Church of England. Paul Lambert is a Celtic legend from Glasgow. You may as well all wear Rangers shirts with Lambert on the back. The irony is just far too great for me to support it. Can''t we just have a Grant Holt banner? I tell you what, if you can come up with something much less Alan Partridge-esque I''d chip in a tenner, despite not sitting anywhere near the Barclay.

I don''t think the whole Anglican/Catholic thing should be of concern. He went to Linwood High School, which is very much an Anglian "school for Rangers fans". So I very much doubt he was raised a, or is a, Catholic.

There is even some talk that he used to be a Rangers fan, although apparently he frequented St Mirren when he was growing up.

Once you get officialdom involved you''ll come up against all sorts of things you hadn''t even thought of.

Number one being that advertisers will have paid large amounts of money only to have a banner unfurled over it, club won''t allow this end of.

What about a large flag as used to be passed around at Anfield - so long as it''s not offensive in any way I can''t see anyone objecting too much. Although you may have to fight off over zealous stewards.

I would be a fan of some banners at Carrow Road, when you see them all at Old Trafford or the San Siro it looks impressive. The religious aspect although it shouldn''t be an issue with the recent issues flairing up in Scotland it is probably best avoided at the moment. If you want this to happen they you have to give the club no reason why it shouldn''t.

I disagree with others who say keep into just within the fans, without the clubs permission the banner will last all of 5 mins before it has been confiscated by the stewards and removed and then you will have a lot of people wanting their money back for a banner that is pretty much useless.

As for advertising on the banner, that shouldn''t be an issue as long as it is fairly subtle - the issues at the World Cup arose from Budweiser paying FIFA to be the "official" beer of the World Cup and thus only having adverts for their brand within or surrounding the stadium - there are no such deals when it comes to the Premier League; obviously if the banner was just a large advert the club would remove it. Also if the banner will cover an exisiting advert the club won''t allow it - adverts on any stand that can be seen by the SKY cameras will have shot up in value and the club will want to protect this lucrative revenue stream.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

As for advertising on the banner, that shouldn''t be an issue as long as it is fairly subtle - the issues at the World Cup arose from Budweiser paying FIFA to be the "official" beer of the World Cup and thus only having adverts for their brand within or surrounding the stadium - there are no such deals when it comes to the Premier League.

[/quote]Hey? Premier League has plenty of such arrangements, and has done since it started in 1993. Even the football league does. Budweiser is also the official beer of the Premier League. http://www.premierleague.com/page/BudweiserI''m sure some people on here just write things because they sound good without double checking their facts. It took me five seconds to Google "official beer premier league", which I did because I was instantly 99.9% sure that it would have one, with the Premier League being a more valuable brand than the World Cup anyway.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

As for advertising on the banner, that shouldn''t be an issue as long as it is fairly subtle - the issues at the World Cup arose from Budweiser paying FIFA to be the "official" beer of the World Cup and thus only having adverts for their brand within or surrounding the stadium - there are no such deals when it comes to the Premier League.

[/quote]

Hey? Premier League has plenty of such arrangements, and has done since it started in 1993. Even the football league does.

Budweiser is also the official beer of the Premier League. http://www.premierleague.com/page/Budweiser

I''m sure some people on here just write things because they sound good without double checking their facts. It took me five seconds to Google "official beer premier league", which I did because I was instantly 99.9% sure that it would have one, with the Premier League being a more valuable brand than the World Cup anyway.

[/quote]

Yep Budwieser is the "official" beer - but they don''t have an exclusivity right. You will see adverts for Carling, Foster etc at stadiums and on teams shirts. Also at the World Cup the only bloody beer you could buy was Budwieser, where at least in the Premier League you have a choice of sh#t beers to drink.

I''d be very careful about the religious message, although it shouldn''t be an issue, it''s very dodgy ground in Glasgow and probably best to stay clear of. Especially when there are other avenues you can go down.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d be very careful about the religious message, although it shouldn''t be an issue, it''s very dodgy ground in Glasgow and probably best to stay clear of. Especially when there are other avenues you can go down.[/quote]Not to mention the fact that we are rumoured to be playing Celtic in a testimonial game at the end of the season for Adam Drury, be a sure fire way to start a riot. The Celtic fans were fantastic for the Tim Shepperd game, absolutely superb, I would at least expect the banner to be banned for that game. We do have to play Liverpool next season too, by the way. I just think any banner which has anything potential at all to offend should be rejected in favour of another design. We are one of only three or four places in the country to have both a Catholic and Protestant cathedral, by the way, just to throw a random fact into the mix!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]Hey? Premier League has plenty of such arrangements, and has done since it started in 1993. Even the football league does. Budweiser is also the official beer of the Premier League. http://www.premierleague.com/page/BudweiserI''m sure some people on here just write things because they sound good without double checking their facts. It took me five seconds to Google "official beer premier league", which I did because I was instantly 99.9% sure that it would have one, with the Premier League being a more valuable brand than the World Cup anyway. [/quote]

Yep Budwieser is the "official" beer - but they don''t have an exclusivity right. You will see adverts for Carling, Foster etc at stadiums and on teams shirts. Also at the World Cup the only bloody beer you could buy was Budwieser, where at least in the Premier League you have a choice of sh#t beers to drink.

[/quote]Oh I see what your saying, fair enough. All this would still need to be checked however. That''s why I think this needs to go through the club. Basically the club need to confirm:a) that a banner can be hungb) location it is allowedc) size of locationd) health and safety requirementse) that they are happy with design and sloganElse, money will be wasted. I wouldn''t want my name on something which can then make people liable for anything in any circumstance, I could do without a lawsuit!

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d be very careful about the religious message, although it shouldn''t be an issue, it''s very dodgy ground in Glasgow and probably best to stay clear of. Especially when there are other avenues you can go down.[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that we are rumoured to be playing Celtic in a testimonial game at the end of the season for Adam Drury, be a sure fire way to start a riot. The Celtic fans were fantastic for the Tim Shepperd game, absolutely superb, I would at least expect the banner to be banned for that game. We do have to play Liverpool next season too, by the way. I just think any banner which has anything potential at all to offend should be rejected in favour of another design. We are one of only three or four places in the country to have both a Catholic and Protestant cathedral, by the way, just to throw a random fact into the mix!
[/quote]

FFS it''s a play on words and has nothing at all to do with religion!!!!

Agreed Lord Horn!

Don''t let the PC world of today get you. It''s a place of worship for our team......managed by St Paul of Lambert.

I''ll happily put a fiver in......IF it''s big enough to be seen by the TV cameras and people at the other end of the ground.

A compromise would be to have one passed around the stand with fans under it "rippling" the banner as it goes - a la on the continent or Liverpool, Man U etc.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d be very careful about the religious message, although it shouldn''t be an issue, it''s very dodgy ground in Glasgow and probably best to stay clear of. Especially when there are other avenues you can go down.[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that we are rumoured to be playing Celtic in a testimonial game at the end of the season for Adam Drury, be a sure fire way to start a riot. The Celtic fans were fantastic for the Tim Shepperd game, absolutely superb, I would at least expect the banner to be banned for that game. We do have to play Liverpool next season too, by the way. I just think any banner which has anything potential at all to offend should be rejected in favour of another design. We are one of only three or four places in the country to have both a Catholic and Protestant cathedral, by the way, just to throw a random fact into the mix!
[/quote]

[/quote]

It has everything to do with religion!! The picture is as good depicting Lambert as a Messiah. As other people have said, if we have the opportunity to do a banner to add to the atmosphere, we could pick something that isn''t going to be blown out of the water on suggestion! Also Lambert is one of the most modest managers going. He''s always deflecting the clubs success from his achievements. Do people really think this will be his cup of Tea?

See I agree with Yellow, im not sure how Lambert will like it. He sees everything as the teams achievement.And petty enough, if its able to raise debate amongst supporters on here you never know what some sensationalist Newspaper might try to do with it.Still would love to have several large banners in that style!

Oh FFS… it is a simple banner. It is proposed to be used at a football match not the bloody Orange Marches in Norn Earland.It uses a simple play on words. It is very clever and humorous at the same time. It should make people laugh. It is hardly likely to cause offence… and if it does, you really, really, really need to get over yourself.

Besides, there isn''t a god… so there''s really nothing to get offended about is there?

Yeah, I heard that the guys who created the Giggs "Tearing You Apart" Banner had complaints from people whose family members were mauled by lions.

Regardless of whether it is offensive or not (I would say not) before getting approval, and money, from fans get permission from the club. I know it seems like quite a performance to go through for a banner, but seeing as I can''t remember seeing any at Carrow Road before it would certainly be worth at least hearing the club''s policy before you potentially spend £195 on it.

I would keep it much simpler, without all the background image. Use yellow banner with vinyl lettering and the Lambert image printed separately and apply to the banner material. Much cheaper option! Something like the image below.Just a thought!

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/Jonno73/?action=view&current=stpscath.jpg

Yeah and we have to stop singing "There''s only one Paul Lambert" because he''s a modest character and wouldn''t want to self promote over the teams achievements. Jeez.....

What Jono said. I would keep it simpler...http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7039/stpaulscopy.png

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d be very careful about the religious message, although it shouldn''t be an issue, it''s very dodgy ground in Glasgow and probably best to stay clear of. Especially when there are other avenues you can go down.[/quote]Not to mention the fact that we are rumoured to be playing Celtic in a testimonial game at the end of the season for Adam Drury, be a sure fire way to start a riot. The Celtic fans were fantastic for the Tim Shepperd game, absolutely superb, I would at least expect the banner to be banned for that game. We do have to play Liverpool next season too, by the way. I just think any banner which has anything potential at all to offend should be rejected in favour of another design. We are one of only three or four places in the country to have both a Catholic and Protestant cathedral, by the way, just to throw a random fact into the mix![/quote]

[/quote]Do you think that people really throw petrol bombs at eachother in Belfast as the result of religion? Do you think that the Celtic fans and Rangers fans who stab eachother after games really do it because of their religious beliefs? Americans justify the deaths of millions in the name of god, do you think that moderate muslims believe that suicide bombers are really following the koran correctly? Religion is a load of bollocks, I am personally an athiest, but it is also the cause of most of the worlds problems matey.Or should I say that in big green letters with some text speech thrown in?........FFS Do you think that people really throw petrol bombs at eachother in

Belfast as the result of religion? Do you think that the Celtic fans and

Rangers fans who stab eachother after games really do it because of

their religious beliefs? Americans justify the deaths of millions in the name of god FFS, do you

think that moderate muslims believe that suicide bombers are really

following the koran correctly FFS? Religion is a load of bollocks, I am

personally an athiest, but it is also the cause of most of the worlds

problems matey. FFS.
Is that better?

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Oh FFS… it is a simple banner.

It is proposed to be used at a football match not the bloody Orange Marches in Norn Earland.

It uses a simple play on words. It is very clever and humorous at the same time. It should make people laugh. It is hardly likely to cause offence… and if it does, you really, really, really need to get over yourself.

[/quote]

Blimey,i bet you didn''t think it would be this much effort?!

My advice fwiw.Knock up a cheap one.Hang it up somewhere.If it gets yoinked by security,or if you get attacked by stone weilding religious bigots,then get rid of it[:P]