Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

The Banner!

Ok people, we have a draft design, courtesy of Andy Larkin, and we have a local firm willing to make it. Any further comments/suggestions on the design better post them now. Wording is still open to alteration if necessary.

http://t.co/pPFosn3

Size is of the order of about 1 meter or whatever the depth of the stand edge is, by about 4m length. Now to the business end. Prices as follows:

Mesh (type of material i guess): £175

Banner: £195

So that''d mean we''d need near enough a hundered people paying 2 quid for example, or 195 people paying a quid each obviously for the banner version. Or McNally paying for half of it!? Anyone had contact with him before like to ask?

Please indicate below if you''re willing to help and indicate by how much. We could set up a paypal account to receive the money. Happy to throw in three or four quid myself.

I''d welcome one huge banner across the front of the Upper Barclay.

It would need to be much longer than 4m - if you just had ''ST PAUL''S CATHEDRAL'' on a single line with large font you''d need around 12m-15m to ensure its visable from the N&P / River End.

PS: I have two 4m vinyl signs (one each side of the pitch) at Wroxham FC and they didn''t cost anything like £175.00 each to produce.

Design is awesome, I do think the sizing needs to be increased, more like 8-12 metres long, obviously depending on restraints from the club, i''ll buzz McNally on twitter now...

Would like to see it much bigger if possible - happy to sling a fiver in for the pleasure of seeing it on Sky Sports

Mark .Y.

Yeah i''m definately up for slinging a 5iver in, message sent to McNally, waiting for reply.

Well there''s probably room for negotiation but if we want it bigger the cost is going to go up quite quickly.

UPDATE: KP has asked for details - if we can get it on Anglia and they give the sign writers a mention we should be able to get the price down.

They had suggested putting their logo on it but after the dutch beer girls getting arrested for trying to blag free advertising at the world cup in South Africa, i fancy that might not be allowed now we''re talking about global advertising exposure/revenues! 

Not wanting to pee on anyone''s fire, but where do you plan to put it?  I don''t think there''s going to be much of Carrow Road next season without adverts and if it hides any adverts it will be taken down within seconds (as we know all too well with the Capital Canaries flag at England matches).

It may be worth contacting AVIVA and see if they want to get involved, they might even be able to get it done cheaper

I always wanted to make a massive banner that could be put up before the game that would cover the Barclay lower. I''d imagine it would cost alot but I''d be willing to chip in for something like that.

I think we can get round those issues. Granted there will be issues over covering any existing advertising - it may just have to held up in the crowd. As mustard has shown, other banners have been made - it can be done. Rocket science it isn''t. Although i''m not expecting one as big as that Giggs one!!

As for the other St Paul''s Cathedral objecting, just you watch the CoE get crucified in the press if they do seriously/officially object. And if they do, think of the publicity! I don''t think they''d be so stupid.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Why is Paul Lamberts head on a dartboard?[/quote]That''s for when he walks out to take over at Ipswich...!

Love it! Would also love one with a counter of the years since Ipswich have been in the top flight. Would be great if get a few of these big banners up, really add character extra character to the ground!

Hi A1 and Andy

Been away for a week so am only now aware of this.

Seems a good idea and I''m up for a few quid contribution. If you can get it put at the front of one of the stands where the camera''s can pick up, then great. Alternatively perhaps the club would consider the banner on the pitch when the players come out.

As I say, I''m happy to contribute but of course it must look professional. There''s a fine line between that and naff!

Well done, however, for your efforts.

I love this idea!  It would look fantastic if we could get the Barclay and Riverend covered in them!  How about one also for Roy Waller or Justin Fashanu?

I suggest that before you progress too far down the line that you consult with the stadium manager/head of security with regard to what is permitted in the ground and about it being flame proof to comply with health and safety.Not being a killjoy chaps but better to make sure first rather than some jobsworth jump on you at the first game.With regard to size 1m x 4m seems rather small to me if you want maximum impact and media coverage.By the way count me in for a couple of quid.

Happy to put my hand in my pocket too.

I agree with bigger is better in this case.

For revenue generation, what about contributors names stitched into the flag. I''m sure many fans have thought about purchasing (owning) something similar in the past, been as I can''t get to every game these days this will give me an alternative connection.

Just a thought anyway, your idea, happy to chip in either way.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''ll give this one a miss ta[/quote]Please never post, you massive tit.Great idea lads! [Y]

Personally, I think this banner is dodgy territory. Depending on Paul Lamberts beliefs, he may take offence and actually find this blasphemous. Clever play on words but personally, I wouldn''t happy if I was portrayed in this way.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I always wanted to make a massive banner that could be put up before the game that would cover the Barclay lower. I''d imagine it would cost alot but I''d be willing to chip in for something like that.[/quote]

I agree that a "crowd surfing banner" is what is required. A few seasons ago, there used to be one in the Jarrolds Stand just before kick off but it was only out for about 30 seconds. I understand Sunderland fans created one last season and it measured 15 metres by 9 metres.

I think the banner is a great idea, 4m would actually be big enough. I am sure the countdown clock they have at Old Trafford is much smaller and i was able to see that fine from the other end of the stadium. Any bigger than 4m and i am sure you will be encroaching on advertisingThere should be no problem with the name, cannot be copyrighted.I think the problem could be hanging it over the side, i used to sit the first row of the upper barclays and there were some guys who hung a flag up over the side and the stewards used to get well mardy about it, trying to take it down every game. I think it may be ebst to leave the club out of it and just do it, and just keep putting it up every game, the stewards will get bored and give up if there is a problem, i am sure most stewards will see it for what it is and leave it.I would be happy to through some money in to, it''s easy enough to set somethign up online that everyone can donate too.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Personally, I think this banner is dodgy territory. Depending on Paul Lamberts beliefs, he may take offence and actually find this blasphemous. Clever play on words but personally, I wouldn''t happy if I was portrayed in this way.[/quote]Hmmm, I was wondering if Lambert might object.. not for this reason but because of his constant modesty and belief that its the team that should take the plaudits!

Re dodgy territory, don''t forget Lambert was a player at Celtic. Religious sensitivities are not the best thing to carry around with you at Celtic Park. Lambert will see it as it is - good natured fun. You see banners at loads of clubs, let''s not let picky details spoil it. There''s nothing that can''t be overcome. Kevin Piper will be able to advise sensibly on it too. He''s coming back to me tomorrow.