Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Welcome to the Premier League

It seems to me that in the past Norwich have avoided the use of the Scudamore / Premier League business model,  summed up very nicely in the article in a bit that''s borrowed from FC United."The Premier League clubs have put up prices regardless of the ability of people to pay,  those that can afford to pay continue to pay and those that can''t fall off the end. Ultimately that will undermine the game of football, which has always been about inclusivity, not exclusivity." Hopefully Norwich will be able to avoid falling into this trap - not doing so this far is probably the reason for the 20,000 season ticket holders we currently have. Can we offer affordable football and compete at this level though ?The article is nicely summed up at the end too :"next time Scudamore delivers some impenetrable management-speak homily on his "customers", you are cordially invited to substitute the word with "wankers". It should save an awful lot of time." Bolton are 2nd bottom of the Premier League for percentage of capacity filled for last season.  When you''ve got this bloke as chairman, is it any wonder ?

Ugh. It''s depressing how often i am reminded how much i hate the premier league and all it stands for.Makes me wonder how i feel about us trying to establish ourselves there. If we do so, i hope we can remain aware of the circus around us rather than become aborbed into it as one of its hideous acts.Yes i''m glad we got promoted because we''ve reached the highest league in the land, i can see much more of my heroes, and we get a bunch of money to get us out of our horrible indebted mess. Doesn''t mean we have to like the PL circus though and that vile ringmaster Scudamore. Because i don''t. If i hadn''t made that clear. Good article by the way.

[quote user="a1canary"]Ugh. It''s depressing how often i am reminded how much i hate the premier league and all it stands for.

Makes me wonder how i feel about us trying to establish ourselves there. If we do so, i hope we can remain aware of the circus around us rather than become aborbed into it as one of its hideous acts.

Yes i''m glad we got promoted because we''ve reached the highest league in the land, i can see much more of my heroes, and we get a bunch of money to get us out of our horrible indebted mess. Doesn''t mean we have to like the PL circus though and that vile ringmaster Scudamore. Because i don''t. If i hadn''t made that clear.

Good article by the way.
[/quote]

Brilliantly put. Agree with every word and sentiment here - I truly hope as a club we retain some sense of morality and appreciation of the bigger picture should we as a memebr of the sacred PL be in a position (as I''m sure we will) to vote on matters that affect ''smaller'' clubs (ie anyone not in the PL at that particular moment in time) whose fans look upon their own club as every bit as importnat to them as NCFC is to us.

Why thank you bob. Good to know that there are a lot of us who don''t like what the PL has become and will not change their view of it just because we''ve got ourselves there.

Great find ''Shack Attack''. She sums up far more eloquently than I how I feel about modern football. The money men who continuously and contemptuously fatten their football cash cow are ars*holes of the highest order. Annoylingly they are winning the battle quite easily because the ''w*nkers'' are flocking to the games in higher numbers than ever.

The only way to win is to vote with your wallets and never subscribe to Sky Sports, never pay extortionate ticket prices and never buy ridiculously over priced merchandise. The choice is yours.

Or for an alternative angle on the same subject, and for a bit of light relief, this is one of the best and funniest peices i''ve read in a long time. Gotta love Charlie B.http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/30/why-idolise-footballers

Love that Charlie Brooker article too. However.....

".......Athletes earn astronomical sums because that''s how society has chosen to reward them. It''s wonky and demented, and I don''t understand it, but that''s the way it is. Corporations, the media and the public have somehow conspired to create that environment. They designed, dug and filled the ornamental fishpond: now they complain when the goldfish shit in the water."

So he thinks we''re all w*nkers too [;)]