Sign in to follow this  
Downloads

4-2-3-1

I know its been mentioned on here a few times, and I appreciate we aren''t going to just dispose of the diamond (I actually like it), but does anyone think that realistically we might play with this formation during the season?

Strikes me that with the signing of Bennett, it looks like it could be a good formation for us?

Crofts / Fox

Surman / Wes / Bennett  (Maybe another midfielder still to come in)

One of any 4 strikers

Anyone see any merit in this? I guess the only issue is morale of the strikers, but we wouldn''t have to play it every match, maybe against the better teams to retain more possession?

It''s an option which could work in some games. Thing is that we will have to be a lot more adaptable this season, that''s why PL is bringing in players who are different in their skill sets. We, possibly, could have the players in the squad to play any formation.

Probably... I would have thought that it will be one of many systems that is employed this coming season.This is why we need the type of players who can add to the squad and who also have the ability to fit in to several different playing formations, instead of just being comfortable in one position.  I can see us using this system, 4-4-2, the diamond and maybe others.  Depends upon the opposition and the confidence level of our players entering a specific match.

I feel that it is going to be a difficult season without our play being stereotyped to the same system of play each match.

With the squad that is being assembled we will be able to be far more adaptable and will be able to surprise a few teams by playing different formations.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

I feel that it is going to be a difficult season without our play being stereotyped to the same system of play each match.

With the squad that is being assembled we will be able to be far more adaptable and will be able to surprise a few teams by playing different formations.

[/quote]That''s my thinking.  We''ll have the players for positions for differing formations.

I think it''s a good shout particularly away from home, would prevent us getting overrun in midfield, however I would think we need a pacier left sided attacking midfielder to make it work effectively. Surman''s a great player but he is not the quickest, I fear Holt could get really isolated using this system if he doesn''t have two wide men to get up and support him quickly from midfield.

Fantastic comments , we are basically gonna do whatever it takes to stay in the Premier.

And we seem to be confident that. Lambert and the coaches / players. Will be willing to learn and adapt as needed.

I''m looking forward to it

Yeah, feel sort of encouraged knowing i''m not the only one thinking this way.

We are a good passing team and I really feel we have the players to play keep ball even against some of the better teams - Which we will still no doubt lose!

Just in reference to a poster above, I believe Bennett is also very adaptable and can play on the left wing too?

I guess in an ideal world I would still like Snodgrass in as he would suit this formation well, but that ship has no doubt sailed.

I can see us reverting to this type of formation in some games next season. Maybe in some away games when we may struggle to get enough possession to make the diamond formation work as well as it should.

I wouldn''t have Crofts as one of the deeper lying midfielders though. On the few occasions I saw him play at the base of the diamond last season I felt he maybe lacked a little tactical discipline and got dragged out of position a little. Fox doesn''t do this and although he maybe lacks the bite in the tackle that Crofts has his positional play and distribution more than makes up for this. Crofts would be better suited to one of the three attacking midfield positions alongside Wes/Surman/Bennett where he can provide not only a goal threat but also has the energy and hard running to press the opposition high up the pitch. All of which probably means we need another deep lying midfielder if we want to play this system.

4-2-3-1 is a formation im a fan of!2 defensive midfielders can frustrate the hell out of a team especially if they are working as extra centre backs when trying to win the ball back... 6 defenders!i would like to see us give it a go against the likes of WBa and Stoke and the teams who get stuck in as we have the creativity in the middle 3 to make it work... sacrifices width though, the lone striker needs to be able to score with what could be the only chance he gets against better sides.4-1-3-2 is another good one to.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I can see us reverting to this type of formation in some games next season. Maybe in some away games when we may struggle to get enough possession to make the diamond formation work as well as it should.

I wouldn''t have Crofts as one of the deeper lying midfielders though. On the few occasions I saw him play at the base of the diamond last season I felt he maybe lacked a little tactical discipline and got dragged out of position a little. Fox doesn''t do this and although he maybe lacks the bite in the tackle that Crofts has his positional play and distribution more than makes up for this. Crofts would be better suited to one of the three attacking midfield positions alongside Wes/Surman/Bennett where he can provide not only a goal threat but also has the energy and hard running to press the opposition high up the pitch. All of which probably means we need another deep lying midfielder if we want to play this system.

[/quote]

Turning a DM into an AM can work with the right player, Crofts could be our Yaya Toure. Ten points to the person who first uses Yaya Toure; poor man''s Andrew Crofts as their screen name.