Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Ritchie De Laet having medical ahead of loan move

Apologies if this has already been posted, couldn''t see it anywhere myself.

Highly rated, Loan move within the premier league was Sir Alex''s idea of the ''next step'', and apparently there were a few interested.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11709_6990847,00.html

Has already been posted, but nevermind - I think he could be a good signing, he is obviously rated by United but I haven''t seen enough of him to be excited by this - I would like to see another, more experienced CB come in too.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Hmmm, I would much rather we signed players permanently. Not keen on the idea of loan players in general.
[/quote]

And I most certainly am not keen on loan signings.

As I have posted on other threads ..... when, oh when, are clubs going to wake up and smell the coffee?

What would these super rich, mega clubs do if lower clubs (like us) stopped loaning players? What would they do with another 10 to 20 professionals at their clubs? Where would they get their meaningful matches? Who would give them the exposure they crave to increase their performance and value?

Perhaps they would have to release a few and then all other clubs would benefit!

Shawcross was Man Utd, highly rated then loaned to Stoke who bought him. He has done fantastic for them and is now worth a bomb. Loans used selectively can be good for both parties. Lambert knows what he wants and has always had a couple on loan and many of these have eventually signed. Good move for the lad hope it works out

Shawcross is an excellent example of how a smaller clubs has benefitted from the loan system and we have had our own obviously. I cant understand this view that buying a player is less of a risk/better. I bet for every crap loan player I can name a crap bought player and often they are not sold on to recoup money, simply released.  The point raised by yellow wall is an interesting one, if lower league teams (or any team for that matter) stopped loaning players would it benefit the game?.. couple of things to think about

1. the players loaned out are often not in the squad (25 in prem or first team/bench in champ) of their parent club. would big clubs be able to keep hold of rising stars aged 16-21 and if not would these players lose out on the top class training development proveded by these clubs heavly impacting on our national team and quality of football throughout the leagues. (if they are loaned out year after year they dont get this I know but its more exception than rule)

2. the only way for a good young player at a decent club to get competitive experience would be playing for the first team, would throwing kids into games they are not ready for be both unfair to them and the team? (ie had D Beckham been thrust into the first team at 17 (or whatever age) instead of loaned out to preston to get some experience been good for anyone?)

Anyway, back to topic, Ritchie De Laet signing for a season maybe a good move but have my doubts that he is an improvement on ward/zac/bennett and therefore have concerns its another squad strenghening rather than team improvement.

Has De Laet disappeared into the Colney Triangle along with Bradley Johnson, never to be seen again?

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

Shawcross is an excellent example of how a smaller clubs has benefitted from the loan system and we have had our own obviously. [/quote]Look at Hucks, I doubt he would have signed for us directly, it was only by coming on loan that he decided he liked the area and agreed to move.