Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

this is why we are staying up...

I have looked through the fixture list over the course of the morning and it has just summed up what I already feel... we have nothing to fear next season!We have come up off the back of 2 promotions and will be starting next season with an air of invincibility. As far as I am concerned we have got a easy start to our first 2 games. Normally i wouldnt say that but Wigan barely stayed up last season and Stoke will have cup final hangover. Chelsea away... still a world class team, but an ageing team... a team that tripped up to Wolves last season, A team that no longer have the clout they once did under Mourinho and Hiddink a few years back.. if we get off to a winning 2 game start, with the momentum of the last 2 seasons behind us Chelsea wont fancy it.. even at their place... Chelsea are a team that need to suffer an embaressment to kick start their season and the media would see a win for us as one.. we can do it.. im going to stick my neck out and say we WILL do it...As for the rest of the season yes we will lose games, yes we will find it hard... But I have faith in Lambert and each and everyone of those players to do us proud.We are better now than we were last time in this division, that time round we beat a better Man Utd side, gave ourselves a fighting chance.. this time round we are stronger, better, will fight to the death.The end of the season doesnt scare me either.. there are at least 7 teams in the division who will finish below us...Blackburn will be looking over their shoulder, as will Villa.. Carrow Road is a fortress and we all know how spectacularly Liverpool can throw a trophy away... I can only speak as a supporter of the club, but I can honestly say there isnt 1 single team we cant beat in this division... I hope the players feel the same...the other sides can look down their noses at us.. the bookies can write us off and the Media can call us "Little Norwich" with "Loveable Delia".... Because when it comes too it we are going to prove them all wrong this season.if anyone from the other clubs is reading this, porbably not, but all i can say is...Throw your best at us and we will throw better back at you... Everyone behind the team, the players showing that fighting spirit that they have for the last 2 years, positivity all the way and we will do this!Bring it on... 9 points from our first 3 games... Whats that saying again.. "easy.. easy.."on the ball City

[quote user="crabbycanary"]That''s the spirit Jas![/quote]to bloody right it is! last time we were in the premiership i wasnt confident.. this time round is much different

Sod the 500 other posts of run ins calculations, historic league positions etc

Lets bloody fight tooth n nail for everything, its a long season anything can happen, lets hope we prove that ''little old Norwich'' are back where they belong and are a force to be reckoned with.

Hear Hear best post of the day!!

that''s all very well but we haven''t signed enough strikers, players with Premier League experience, how are Championsip players going to know their way round a Premier League pitch ....

......where are the bargain foreign imports that we should have to build a squad to bounce back if not having another back up keeper means one of the back four will have to go in goal and how many of them have played in the Premier league, to be honest we should not have come up yet, should have waited a few seasons until we were ready then come up....

....... I''m really dreading the season we were better off in League 1 at least we knew where we were ............

...................... ah ya stull there ne-ull ?

Are you joking!

We are better off in league 1???? well thats your opinion for little old Norwich.

Its all about building for the future, we might end up being a yo-yo club over the next few years each time getting stronger. We dont have to buy foreign when young English talent who know the fast paced game, will have  a hunger to succeed and prove a point. They will actually find that they will have more time on the ball in the Premiership that the lower leagues.

Am I right in thinking you would rather Norwich sit in League 1 with no ambition, because thats what is sounds like. If we TRY to wait to come up how can we do that? We obviously played well enough to get where we are now.......confused with your statement.

So list some bargain foreign imports, we have had them before and some of them can not adjust quick enough to the English game. I thought that about Cedric Anselin when Norwich signed him years ago......Do foreign players want to play Championship next season potentially, I dont think so.

Its a chance for the new, exciting additions to gel with the existing squad and have faith in Lambert and the staff and board around him!

i would suggest that was a sarcastic dig at some of the hilarious callers to Canary Call - glad only those in Norfolk can hear the sh*t they come out with

I''m a lot more confident than I was last time out. I feel that we have a better manager, a more balanced squad and staff behind the scenes that are more knowledgable about how to stay in this league.

The overall standard of the Premier League also seems to have been declining over the past few years. Blackpool got within a couple of points of staying up last season but, for all of the platitudes about how well they played and how refreshing their style of football was, they were pretty poor. Look around the lower reaches of the league and there is not too much to fear. The likes of Wigan, Wolves, West Brom and Blackburn are decent on their day but should not cause us any fear. Fulham are terrible. Newcastle are a club on the verge of imploding. Villa are getting rid of some of their best players and are about to have a fans revolt on their hands.

The top clubs (with the exception of Man City) have been getting worse over the last few years. Chelsea are an ageing side who are constantly fighting against interference from their owner. Man Utd may have won the league last year but were far from imperious. Liverpool might finally be arresting the slide of the past two or three years but they still have a lot of work to do. Arsenal have become a parody of themselves. Spurs have slipped backwards but such is the media love-in with ''Arry that nobody will mention it. Everton? Meh.

We have a great chance to establish ourselves in ''The Greatest League in the World'' and we should not listen to anybody who tells us that seventeenth would be an achievement. Aim high.

P.S. I don''t know what your choice of drink is Jas but it must be pretty strong if you still feel the effects three months later [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Stoke will have cup final hangover.

[/quote]

I think it is incredibly premature to say.

A lot of clubs have yet to pull out the cheque book. Some haven''t even appointed managers yet.

But as has been said elsewhere. The fixture list isn''t as intimidating as it once was.

Carrow Road needs to become a really intimidating place for opposition to come. I am talking about a wall of noise, and pulsating atmospheres.

Last time round few had great confidence in our team, mainly because it was bought for peas and probably peaked the year before. Yes you had some gems in the likes of Huckerby but the rest were possibly a good couple of years beyond their best.

This time round we have youth, experience and commitment to the cause. All of our players still have the legs for a season in the premiership.

You have to respect every team in the prem though. You know every single one will have internationals in it and players that if not well shackled that will punish us.

That said, this summer will be a mental transfer season. For starters I feel Man U and Chelsea have massive re-building to do in terms of their squads. The manager-go-round has just started to go up some gears. You have Mark Hughes and Martin O''Neil out of work - both of whom can attract players to play for them wherever they are.

So we shall see. Ask me again come the end of July.

That''s the kind of fighting talk I like!

I say we should enjoy the ride next season and hope it''s the start of a long stay back where we belong. The focus of the sporting world will be back at Carrow Road along with the worlds best teams and players. Bring it on indeed!

[quote user="chicken"]I think it is incredibly premature to say. A lot of clubs have yet to pull out the cheque book. Some haven''t even appointed managers yet. But as has been said elsewhere. The fixture list isn''t as intimidating as it once was. Carrow Road needs to become a really intimidating place for opposition to come. I am talking about a wall of noise, and pulsating atmospheres. Last time round few had great confidence in our team, mainly because it was bought for peas and probably peaked the year before. Yes you had some gems in the likes of Huckerby but the rest were possibly a good couple of years beyond their best. This time round we have youth, experience and commitment to the cause. All of our players still have the legs for a season in the premiership. You have to respect every team in the prem though. You know every single one will have internationals in it and players that if not well shackled that will punish us. That said, this summer will be a mental transfer season. For starters I feel Man U and Chelsea have massive re-building to do in terms of their squads. The manager-go-round has just started to go up some gears. You have Mark Hughes and Martin O''Neil out of work - both of whom can attract players to play for them wherever they are. So we shall see. Ask me again come the end of July.[/quote]

Lg1 =1st, Champ = 2nd, Prem=Dare we say it, I have never felt so confident before, No I don''t think we will finish 3rd, but anywhere above the bottom 3 will do for me I think anywhere about 12 would be a fantastic achievement.   

[quote user="San Miguel"]i would suggest that was a sarcastic dig at some of the hilarious callers to Canary Call - glad only those in Norfolk can hear the sh*t they come out with[/quote]

Im not sure Chelmsford Canary had got the sarcastic gist.  Seems to be a common thing in the chav county - thats why The Only Way is Essex did so well in the TV awards.  Essex people love it - the rest of the country just takes the p**s [:)]

Really interested by your post, Shack. Were you really not that confident last time around? My memory is that most fans were just as optimistic as most of us seem to be now. After all, we''d just won the title and we had the best player in the division by a mile in Hucks. Yes there was some disquiet about the departures of Malky and Iwan, but I think most people expected us to stay up. I''m not accusing you of it personally, but I wonder whether some people are skewing their memories of how they felt this time in 2004 with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree that the Premier League looks weaker with all these tinpot teams like Wigan, Stoke and Chelsea in it, but whether it is actually weaker is doubtful to me. I think there could be some buckets of cold water come August. The fact is that we would have been big underdogs in a cup-tie against Wigan last season, and the same is true of the opening day.

I still think 17th would be an astonishing achievement.

Yes 17th would be a big achievement but I also feel more confident this time

Why?  Its not the squad – in fact the squad of 2004 was arguably better than that of 2011.  

Nor is it the winning feeling – the squad of 2004 lost as few games as the squad of 2011.  The season before we’d finished 8th and the season before that we were playoff finalists.

Nor is it our opening fixtures – we opened against Palace (H), Man U (A) and Newcastle (A) last time and although our fixtures are on paper easier this time they will still be tough.

No – the key differences this time are

It looks as if we are keeping the big players of our team.  Last time round we got rid of Iwan and Malkay and we lost a little of the presence that we’d had in the Championship.  This time we’re keeping the guts of the side (hopefully)

We have a manager that doesn’t just have a plan B – but plan C and D as well.  We’ll rarely settle for a draw – unless we’re behind.  I honestly think we will go to Chelsea and try and win.  Worthy for all his successes didn’t always have a change of tactic or shift of gears up his sleeve

THAT’S why I think we’ll survive – in fact I think we may put a few noses out of joint and finish mid-table.  

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Really interested by your post, Shack. Were you really not that confident last time around? My memory is that most fans were just as optimistic as most of us seem to be now. After all, we''d just won the title and we had the best player in the division by a mile in Hucks. Yes there was some disquiet about the departures of Malky and Iwan, but I think most people expected us to stay up. I''m not accusing you of it personally, but I wonder whether some people are skewing their memories of how they felt this time in 2004 with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree that the Premier League looks weaker with all these tinpot teams like Wigan, Stoke and Chelsea in it, but whether it is actually weaker is doubtful to me. I think there could be some buckets of cold water come August. The fact is that we would have been big underdogs in a cup-tie against Wigan last season, and the same is true of the opening day.

I still think 17th would be an astonishing achievement.

[/quote]

I''m about to go home where I will (once again) be without internet access for the weekend so I might have to leave this until Monday to answer in any depth.

To be brief I can''t really remember exactly how I felt last time we got promoted. But looking at the fixture list this morning I was struck by how many teams there were in the Premier League who I thought we might have a chance of beating (assuming of course that PL gets in averybody that he wants). I don''t recall having that same feeling last time although someone will probably drag up a thread now where I said I thought we could qualify for the Champions League [:$][;)].

I think there were a lot of doubts about whether the players in our last promoted team would make the step up. The likes of Edworthy, Fleming, Mackay, Drury, Holt, Svensson and McKenzie looked for all the world like Championship players who had just clicked for one season and gone on an amazing run. We had Hucks as you say but for all we might think he is a legend he had had to drop out of the top flight to get a regular game. Now you could well say the same about our current crop of players as none of them have played much top flight football but there is something there that fills me with confidence. That something is Paul Lambert.

I doubt he will make the same mistakes we made last time. I have confidence that he will find the right system and tactics to keep us up. I do believe the Premier league is weaker these days (sorry, no time to go into this in to much depth) and that we can take advantage of this. Most importantly he will attack the opposition and be positive. We won''t have to wait until October for our first win this time, of that I am sure.

Excellent post JAS... [Y] probably the finest I have ever sen from you on here!!!I agree and have been saying for weeks that we don''t need Premiership experience (or Premiership cast-offs) and that Lambert is doing exactly the right thing, the model that we should''ve been following years ago and that we have absolutely nothing to fear in the top flight.More than half of the teams in the Premiership aren''t all that they are cracked up to be and I expect us to be troubling the top end of the table for most of the season, not the bottom end.I think we can lay one ghost to rest from last time we were there on the opening day of the season, by taking 5,000 plus fans up to Wigan and actually winning a bleedin away game!!!

[quote user="City1st"] how are Championship players going to know their way round a Premier League pitch ....

......[/quote]Forgive my ignorance as a mere woman but surely if a football player knows his way around a football pitch, then it doesn''t matter if it''s a Championship, League 1 or Premiership pitch. After all, there is a goal at either end of the piece of grass, a flag in each corner and the lines are, generally, in the same places [:S]

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]I''ll have some of whatever you are on.

I saw the fixtures this morning and thought

"Oh Sh*t"

Then I thought lets bring it on!!!![/quote]Snowy the Cat is on the finest cat food available to humanity and has confirmed that we will indeed be staying up.Having prdicted both promotions I can confirm with absolute certainty that the little guy is never wrong.

Forgive my ignorance as a mere woman but surely if a football player knows his way around a football pitch, then it doesn''t matter if it''s a Championship, League 1 or Premiership pitch. After all, there is a goal at either end of the piece of grass, a flag in each corner and the lines are, generally, in the same places"

oh dear, oh dearie dear me

(nevermind luv, you meant well)

[quote user="ms miggins"]The reason why we will stay up=QPR, Swansea, Wigan[/quote]Aston Villa and Newcastle (two big teams who are going to have big problems this coming season and struggle to survive).

I have been looking at the fixture list all day and I have to say I''m pretty underwhelmed by the Premiership!  Yes you''ve got your Man Utd''s and Arsenal''s and Chelsea''s but apart from the top 6 teams (Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool) I''m not scared of anyone, even the likes of Everton don''t make me think its going to be a really hard game to get anything from.  We are more than a match for a lot of these teams and I am getting much more confident about survival.

Can we stay up? Of course we can!!!!!  COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!

Jas is often right and because of that In Jas We Trust.