Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Not sure on lamberts no foreign imports policy

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Really think we''re missing some bargains out there[/quote]

Who for example?

So it''s bargains we are after now

Shame Lambert didn''t bring in a few of these bargains over the past two seasons.

It doesn''t bear to think what we could have achieved if he had ...

[quote user="NauruDude"]MANY. There are more, cheaper, better players in Europe, S-America. But ofc some of those dont suit the English wacking ball.[/quote]

''wacking ball''? We''re talking about NCFC here, you know that don''t you?

Not sure what the fixation is with foreign bargains? Is it some hangover from playing football manager where a young Icelandic international bought for peanuts becomes a global superstar? On the day Bebe moves out on loan from Manchester United picking a bargain appears harder than it looks. Better to chose known quantities to build your squad, and that is reflected in the price.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Shack Attack"]Does Lambert even have a ''no foreign imports policy'' [:^)][/quote]

According to the BBC he does
[/quote]

Fair enough. I''m not going to argue with him but I think it''s a bit of a myth that all foreign players take months to get used to the English game. Some do but surely that''s what our scouts are there for?

Anyway if Lambert''s dealings with the media in the past are any guide we should probably expect some German wunderkind to turn up at Colney next week [;)]

There are bargains out there but also shedloads of rubbish.The thing is you need to know what you are doing with decent scouts in the foreign market or you will get your fingers burnt. we dont want a series of expensive De Waards!!! If we survive then i expext we will gradually become more sophisticated with our scouting and purchases

I really do not understand some of our fans, are you never bloody happy? I honestly cant believe people are questioning lamberts judgement. its got to the stage i just want to give some you a slap. bloody idiots

I think PL would make a move in Germany if his contacts there point at a player that''s interesting. But I understand his point. He doesn''t have the resources yet and his knowledge through scouting is limited too. Doesn''t wanna take unnecessary risks...

From what it looked like in the article he just wasn''t looking right now, which is fair enough.  If our scouting network doesn''t really cover much outside the UK then we shouldn''t be buying out of the UK, I don''t want us to buy some player because of a youtube video.  But if we get established in the Prem that''s the time to start widening our search and bringing in foreign talent.

[quote user="Hightower"]Not sure what the fixation is with foreign bargains? Is it some hangover from playing football manager where a young Icelandic international bought for peanuts becomes a global superstar? On the day Bebe moves out on loan from Manchester United picking a bargain appears harder than it looks. Better to chose known quantities to build your squad, and that is reflected in the price.[/quote]

Suppose it is, but one wouldn''t do us any harm :P

Btw de laet doesn''t count, he''s already over here.

The headline on the article seems a little deceptive to me. He just says he wants guys who can hit the ground running, he doesn''t rule anything out. I think it would be naive to rule out any foreign players, every year there are examples of bargain players from overseas who "hit the ground running". The Premier League is becoming more like the rest of the European Leagues every year, and I think it could be harder for players from lower leagues who are use to "kick and rush" football to adapt.

[quote user="simo86"]

I really do not understand some of our fans, are you never bloody happy? I honestly cant believe people are questioning lamberts judgement. its got to the stage i just want to give some you a slap. bloody idiots

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more. In my opinion, you are absolutely right. I asked in a previous post for a few of these "foreign bargains" to be named. The response? There are "MANY". For anyone in any doubt, I suggest you read Tony Speraing''s thoughts in today''s EDP. These bring a dose of reality to the issue.

I literally couldn''t be happier with the current transfer policy. Mainly british players at a British club, with one or two well chosen foreign imports if they fit in. It seems to be about the individual, as opposed to where they''re from, which obviously is exactly how it should be.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I couldn''t agree more. In my opinion, you are absolutely right. I asked in a previous post for a few of these "foreign bargains" to be named. The response? There are "MANY". [/quote]

Lets have a look at the ''MANY'' signings we have made from abroad over the years...

Thomas Helveg
David Střihavka

Mattias Jonson
David Střihavka

Jurgen Colin
Steen Nedergaard
Gaetano Giallanza
Marc Libbra
Cedric Anselin
Jean Yves De Blasiis
Fernando Derveld
Raymond De Waard
Pape Diop
Erik Fuglestad
Victor Segura

How many of them were a real success at the club.  In my view - 1! Steeno

I know some of them did have a few games at the club and developed cult followings (Libbra, Anselin, etc) but I wouldn''t class them as a success.  There are some in there that proves the point that it takes time to adapt - David Striker, Juan Valesco, Mattais Jonson - they all played at the top level, International or European club competitions, but they never did it in the UK.

Simeone Jackson hasn''t done too badly as one of PL''s foreign signings, same goes for Zak Whitbread?!

[quote user="Jonzey"]I literally couldn''t be happier with the current transfer policy. Mainly british players at a British club, with one or two well chosen foreign imports if they fit in. It seems to be about the individual, as opposed to where they''re from, which obviously is exactly how it should be.[/quote]

?

Maybe you should look this over?

OTBC

It reads perfectly well to me Bly. We''re a British club, with the majority of our players British, alongside a couple of good foreign imports. But my point was; Lambert seems to focus on each player individually, as opposed to having a specific transfer policy. He has been quoted as saying he''d sign any player as long as they fitted the club and were hungry.

[quote user="Jonzey"]Simeone Jackson hasn''t done too badly as one of PL''s foreign signings, same goes for Zak Whitbread?![/quote]How are theses foreign signings? Both signed from English clubs.

I suppose it''s how you define foreign signings. I''d define a foreign signing as a club signing a player who is foreign.

I''m just in an argumentative mood and do understand the point of the thread that you can pick up bargains from foreign clubs.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

The last thing City need is tempremental, stroppy diving foreigners in the team imo.

Young Bennett is the way to go for me.

[/quote]How about someone like Christopher Samaba though? Who cost all of £400,000 for Blackburn, wouldn''t mind a few players like him in the team.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="First Wizard"]

The last thing City need is tempremental, stroppy diving foreigners in the team imo.

[/quote]

How about someone like Christopher Samaba though? Who cost all of £400,000 for Blackburn, wouldn''t mind a few players like him in the team.
[/quote]

Extremes I know, but Drogba and Chopra are two prime examples of what I mean.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

How about someone like Christopher Samaba though? Who cost all of £400,000 for Blackburn, wouldn''t mind a few players like him in the team.
[/quote]

Extremes I know, but Drogba and Chopra are two prime examples of what I mean.

[/quote]

Chopra was born in Newcastle.......

OTBC

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

But ''temperamental, stroppy, diving'' Britishers would be OK?

OTBC