Sign in to follow this  
NCFCmonkey

derby?

although not geographical, could the sunderland match be a derby due to the ''friendship cup'' we contest each time we meet, lets have 38 derbies as we all know how the last two ended up...........................

The simple fact of the matter is there isnt one really. The closest teams are the London ones and they cant honestly be classed as derby games. I think Ipswich is our only proper derby game. i guess we had a bit of a rivalry with Colchester in league one but that was only really due to Robbie Cowling stirring things up

pretty stupid idea as no one will consider us a derby and will just make us look stupid. Their is only one derby and i only hate wolves aswell. Oh and chelsea liverpool man utd.

A lot of our fans seem to hate Wolves and when we play Wolves there is always quite a good atmosphere but do they hate us?

why should there be a derby this season? Its not compulsory to have one.

There might be other teams some people dislike, but our only derby is against scum, end of story

[quote user="Boyo"]A lot of our fans seem to hate Wolves and when we play Wolves there is always quite a good atmosphere but do they hate us?[/quote]Wolves hate everyone.

In all seriousness the PL will pair us with a team for fixture setting pruposes. This is to avoid near neighbours in the bigger cities playing at home on the same day. Arsenal will be paired with Spurs and the obvious pair for us will be either Swansea, Stoke or Villa as all other teams have a close local pair. If Stoke are paired with Wolves, this means we will have Swansea as our pair becuase then West Brom woudl e paired with Villa. Although we are nowhwere near Swansea, I hope this makes sense.

[quote user="Boyo"]A lot of our fans seem to hate Wolves and when we play Wolves there is always quite a good atmosphere but do they hate us?[/quote]Must admit I find it hard to hate them anymore.  We haven''t played them for a couple of years and I quite like Mick McCarthy.  Overall I''m rather indifferent to them.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Must admit I find it hard to hate them anymore.  We haven''t played them for a couple of years and I quite like Mick McCarthy.  Overall I''m rather indifferent to them.
[/quote]

Agreed. I lote of the hatred was built up by the fact that we were both challenging for promotion at that time (much like the way Leeds have replaced Wolves as a secondary hate figure for some over the last couple of years) and the whole Muscat/Bellamy thing. I was glad they stayed up this year and, like you, am rather fond of Mick McCarthy.

I think we''ll end up looking pretty stupid if we try and claim there is some sort of rivalry between the two clubs. There is no derby game this year. So what. I would suggest that there are more important things to worry about than finding a replacement for Ipswich.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]In all seriousness the PL will pair us with a team for fixture setting pruposes. This is to avoid near neighbours in the bigger cities playing at home on the same day. Arsenal will be paired with Spurs and the obvious pair for us will be either Swansea, Stoke or Villa as all other teams have a close local pair. If Stoke are paired with Wolves, this means we will have Swansea as our pair becuase then West Brom woudl e paired with Villa. Although we are nowhwere near Swansea, I hope this makes sense.[/quote]I thought the pairings could be across leagues?  You wouldn''t Chelsea and Fulham playing on the same day even if Fulham got relegated.

[quote user="Jez"][quote user="Desert Fox"]In all seriousness the PL will pair us with a team for fixture setting pruposes. This is to avoid near neighbours in the bigger cities playing at home on the same day. Arsenal will be paired with Spurs and the obvious pair for us will be either Swansea, Stoke or Villa as all other teams have a close local pair. If Stoke are paired with Wolves, this means we will have Swansea as our pair becuase then West Brom woudl e paired with Villa. Although we are nowhwere near Swansea, I hope this makes sense.[/quote]I thought the pairings could be across leagues?  You wouldn''t Chelsea and Fulham playing on the same day even if Fulham got relegated.[/quote]Exactly Jez [Y] and surely everybody knows that Wolves and West Brom is a derby game (more so than Wolves and Stoke) right???Stokes main rivals are near neighbours Port Vale.

Two thumbs up from Smudger in an hour, I must''ve made it on the Pink''un board!

Yes - pairings do work across leagues as well (e.g. City vs Ipswich), but within the Premier League there are also pairings (see link below).http://premierskills.britishcouncil.org/premier-league/how-fixtures-are-producedThe obvious pairings are:Liverpool/EvertonMan Utd/Man CitySpurs/ArsenalBolton/BlackburnSunderland/NewcastleThen there are teams in local clusters where there are permutations of pairings::Chelsea/Fulham/QPRWolves/WBA/Villa/StokeFinally, there are odd teams out, from a geographical perspective:CitySwanseaWiganSo, having studied this a bit further, there are greater permutations of who we could be paired with than I had originally thought:SwanseaWiganOne west midlands club (incl stoke in the midlands)One west london club

Surely it makes more sense that we''re paried with 1p5wich or another local (ish) team.  You''d have thought that Swansea would be paired with Cardiff, Wigan are closer to Bolton than Blackburn are. Blackburn are more likely to be paired with Preston.

I can''t see what this pairing is about. At no time wil any of our home games affect Swansea or visa versa.

Games are avoided where there is local proximity - mostly for policing and travel reasons, as seen in cup games when two close clubs are drawn at home.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Boyo"]A lot of our fans seem to hate Wolves and when we play Wolves there is always quite a good atmosphere but do they hate us?[/quote]Must admit I find it hard to hate them anymore.  We haven''t played them for a couple of years and I quite like Mick McCarthy.  Overall I''m rather indifferent to them.[/quote]Then you''re more generous than most, Graham......I''m indifferent to the three relegated clubs but I SO wanted Wolves to be one of them on that last day.Horrible town, horrible fans.On the plus side though they do have a very smart stadium and a very affable manager. It''s just not enough to compensate for all the other vileness.

Youve misread it DF

If you read the BBC article (theres a link on one of the other opening day threads) you are paired with another team which could be in any division including the conference

Other teams are taken into account - for example if Norwich are travelling to London, Ipswich would be at home - and if this is against a London side it could create a jam at Liverpool Street, especially if West Ham, Orient, Daggers or Southend are at home.  Pairings are done in conjunction with the clubs and the local police

Point is that we''re unlikely to need to be ''paired'' with any of the London clubs - and there is no point in pairing with Swansea at all.....

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Must admit I find it hard to hate them anymore.  We haven''t played them for a couple of years and I quite like Mick McCarthy.  Overall I''m rather indifferent to them.[/quote]

Agreed. I lote of the hatred was built up by the fact that we were both challenging for promotion at that time (much like the way Leeds have replaced Wolves as a secondary hate figure for some over the last couple of years) and the whole Muscat/Bellamy thing. I was glad they stayed up this year and, like you, am rather fond of Mick McCarthy.[/quote]

A lot of us older fans know what their fans can be like when paying them a visit, beating up women and children, bricking trains and coaches etc. I don''t see them as rivals, I just hate them.

[quote user="Jez"]Surely it makes more sense that we''re paried with 1p5wich or another local (ish) team.  You''d have thought that Swansea would be paired with Cardiff, Wigan are closer to Bolton than Blackburn are. Blackburn are more likely to be paired with Preston.[/quote]Blackburn''s main rivals are actually Burnley, often referred to in those parts as The Dingles... other rivals include Bolton (who are the next closest team to them), Preston and Man Utd.  I think there is general indifference to Man City, or there was during my time in those parts.

QPR. Been a history of "niggle" between supporters- often down to both clubs taking large,vocal followings to each others grounds, they`ve got Colin as manager (bet Holt can`t wait to get stuck into them....!) and we`re likely to be scrapping in the same part of the table as them.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]QPR. Been a history of "niggle" between supporters- often down to both clubs taking large,vocal followings to each others grounds, they`ve got Colin as manager (bet Holt can`t wait to get stuck into them....!) and we`re likely to be scrapping in the same part of the table as them.[/quote]

qpr large following are you joking, didnt even bring 2000 when they were run away leaders at the top of the league.