Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

hahaha why have Villa gone for McLeish???

I actually wanted Villa away first game because I think it''s guna be a massive protest the whole game and the Villa fans aren''t going to be too bothered win, lose or draw and therefore it would have been a nice chance to get 3 points [:P]

Saying that if we did win it would be pretty tasty after the game!

We have them last game of the season too.  Maybe it will be us that will be sending a team down on the last day this time around?I also think that Newcastle are going to be in for one hell of a long hard season after sacking Hughton for that idiot Pardew and then offloading their two best players over the last six months or so.I think that Stoke are going to struggle too.My three tips for teams that the bookies would not have expected to struggle to at least flirt with the wrong end of the table this coming season.

[quote user="Smudger"]We have them last game of the season too.  Maybe it will be us that will be sending a team down on the last day this time around?

I also think that Newcastle are going to be in for one hell of a long hard season after sacking Hughton for that idiot Pardew and then offloading their two best players over the last six months or so.

I think that Stoke are going to struggle too.

My three tips for teams that the bookies would not have expected to struggle to at least flirt with the wrong end of the table this coming season.
[/quote]

I agree with that [Y]

I think next season is going to be another season where it is very tight at the bottom, I expect QPR, Swansea, Wigan, Wolves, Fulham, Blackburn, Newcastle, Villa possibly Sunderland and I hate to say it us, all to be down there.

A loss away to fulham then a home draw against Blackburn both quite feasible results would make the Villa/Wolves game very interesting for those of a voyeuristic nature. I can see this going horribly wrong for Villa and McLeish before the end of august.

That''s not to say I don''t find it incredibly funny.

I actually think this is all quite silly.

McLeish is at the very least a reasonable manager. He did well at Brum with relatively limited cash. Bowyer has looked as good as he ever has playing under him.

Villa fans need to get a grip. They had Martin O''Neill who is highly rated, their owner naked him off which is going to send ripples out through the LMA.

Hughes was the only other likely person and to be frank, god knows why they didn''t go for him first but they didn''t.

Hughes for Chelsea anyone?

[quote user="chicken"]

McLeish is at the very least a reasonable manager. He did well at Brum with relatively limited cash. Bowyer has looked as good as he ever has playing under him.

Villa fans need to get a grip. [/quote]I can''t disagree with any of this McLeishes record with Scotland was remarkable and as you say he''s done a reasonable job at Brum and certainly has not left that club a basket case of a squad to sort out in the summer transfer season like Dave Jones did for Cardiff.But the Villa fans didn''t want him or a percentage of them didn''t and they''re very angry that Randy Lerner has appointed somebody that they didn''t want, didn''t want enough that they were prepared to turn up out of season not on a matchday and protest about in numbers.  Two years ago our board appointed Bryan Gunnn as our permanent manager and a percentage of people (myself included) were very much against that appointment too.look what happened to Bryan Gunn , you''ve read the torrents of abuse the man suffered and seen  what he went through and that let''s not forget was for a man who served this club well over two decades as a player as an ambassador to both the club and the city in all manner of positions his capabilities were not called into question until he took over as manager. And in the space of just a few weekends of football it all went horribly wrong.now imagine if Gunny had come to us from Ipswich and he''d just taken ipswich down from the Premiership and he didn''t have the benefit of having been a club legend for years beforehand and that''s roughly the position some of the villa fans are in now. Of course McLeish is a real manager and quite a good one at that but he''s the Gunn from Ipswich too many of the Villa fans and they are just waiting for it all to go wrong so they can start. Sure as eggs is eggs it will go wrong, Villa are pretty poor these days just scraping by year upon year and no strangers to extended losing streaks.McLeish will have an extended losing streak at some time this year, it might be two or three it might be more but when it comes thousands will be ready for it and it wont be pretty.

Sorry I can''t agree that he is a reasonable manager.  Over the last couple of seasons he has had a decent amount of money to spend at Brum and made them the most boring team to watch in the division, over the last two seasons they have comfortably scored the least amount of goals, less than a goal a game!

Seems a very strange appointment and he really has to hit the ground running, which will be difficult when joining a side where all your best players want to leave anyway!

How is he not a reasonable manager? Some of his signings have been absolutely superb, look at the profit his centre back pairing will be making his side alone! Also winning the league cup isn''t too bad. Yes he got the side relegated but that is something promoted sides have to deal with. Making a team yo-yo between divisions isn''t all bad, doing a ''worthy'' Is the sign of someone who is not a reasonable manager...

I think it''s utter madness.  At this level the margins are so tight, good manager or not, starting with a disgruntled fan base is a recipe for disaster.  At best things will go OK, anything other than that will end up with a snowball running downhill.  If half of your fans are wanting you to fail to get rid of a manager they will never accept things can very easily fall apart.  We''ve had a couple of those, if not for the fact that we''ve had managers from hated rivals, more we''ve just had some apalling managers appointed.  A lot of clubs can learn a lot from our experience.  Having someone, however passionate and great as a figurehead (us not Villa) who does the hiring and firing, but knows nothing about football, will get you relegated.  In our case daylight finally dawned and we got someone in (McNally) who does know about these things.  Villa have what Delia was, an owner calling the shots who has no ability to do so.  The difference is of course, she was doing things from the heart, Christ knows what Randy Lerner thinks he''s doing.

[quote user="SWP Poor Mans Ruel Fox"]

Sorry I can''t agree that he is a reasonable manager.  Over the last couple of seasons he has had a decent amount of money to spend at Brum and made them the most boring team to watch in the division, over the last two seasons they have comfortably scored the least amount of goals, less than a goal a game!

Seems a very strange appointment and he really has to hit the ground running, which will be difficult when joining a side where all your best players want to leave anyway!

[/quote]...and ultimately got Brum relegated... I bet they wish they had stuck with Steve Bruce in hindsight now???Like you say SWP, Villa  are going to be in BIG TROUBLE come the start of the season and if they don''t act on things when they do go wrong then they could be in the Championship even before they arrive at Carrow Road on the last game of the season.Bigger clubs than Aston Villa have been relegated.  I really do not understand why some people believe it to be impossible that such a thing could happen this season.

I do find it an odd appointment given taht he''s coming from their recently relegated rivals and after the fans had already made their feelings clear on the prospect of Steve McLaren taking over. Villa ideally wanted someone with a proven track record at the very top of the game or a very bright upcoming manager - Roberto Martinez.

I''m sure Martinez would have been an excellent choice but plenty of Villa fans were arrogant and ignorant enough to think they could "do better" and perhaps they''ve paid the price for that attitude.

That said, McLeish is a decent Premier League manager - but not a great one. Birmingham were a pretty dull side to watch under him.

If they do, as expected, sell Ashley Young and if Stewart Downing also follows him out of the door then there is some massive rebuilding work to be done. For all his popularity Martin O''Neill made Villa quite a limited side - play a big man upfront and counter attack as quickly as possible with Young and Agbonlahor. That left Houllier with quite a big job to do and although the signing of Darren Bent was a very good choice there is still a lot of work to be done across the rest of the team. It''s hard to see what McLeish will be able to do to it without a lot of financial backing - and it seems that Villa haven''t been prepared to offer much backing, hence the names that have rejected the opportunity to take over.

"Oh and about the lack of goals, McLeish wanted pavluchenko or Zamora but got no backing. It seems his hands were tired."

Yeah, because signing him would have really helped the goal tally wouldn''t it...............

What''s even more amusing about the whole thing is that a couple of other very good managers were linked/interested, in particular Rijkaard, and yet they went for McLeish!I don''t think he''s an awful manager, just not what Villa need to get them out of this downward spiral they are in. Saying that, I thought McLaren was a joke as well...hmmm...are they only interested in managers whose surname starts with ''Mc''...

Perhaps one thing in his favour is his experience of managing in a City with bitter local rivalries, Rangers v Celtic is no picnic.

I wonder if there was all that fuss when Ron Saunders went from Villa to Birmingham and then on to West Brom?