Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Glad we left the Championship when we did

Has anyone noticed how virtually every team in the Championship this season has been in the top tier of English football (only 6 clubs - highlighted - haven''t)

Barnsley

Birmingham

Blackpool

Brighton

Bristol City

Burnley

Cardiff

Coventry

Crystal Palace

Derby

Doncaster

Notts Forest

Hull

Ip5w1ch

Leeds

Leicester

Middlesbrough

Millwall

Peterborough

Portsmouth

Reading

Southampton

Watford

I think this is the toughest championship yet and will probably be harder to get out of than any other year - it should make for a thrilling season (certainly worth watching the football league show again)

Even that would be disappointing! Would get to see 3 seconds of them from a poorly chosen camera angle then have to listen to 5 minutes of steve talking crap about them.

The clubs might have, however the teams haven''t been in the top tier.

The paupers down the road might have been in the Premier league a decade ago, but their team will be cobbled together from what youngsters remain and a bunch of cast off misfits and aged has beens. I doubt Barnsley or Coventry have anything fronm their PL days that would make any diference to this season.

I''m not sure if it will be the hardest ever, there will be enough basket case clubs who have over spend and are now suffering the consequences. but it only needs three good teams to stop anyone else from getting promoted. £16m parachute payment will have a massive, distorting effect on the division. That figure is roughly what we were earning for the whole season (without debt payments having to be paid).

Getting out when we did. set against those payments, was a very important achievement. There is no knowing how many of our squad would have stayed or how much money would have been available. All unknowns, so the one known we do have, promotion is huge.

As to watching the Championship I doubt the OP will be alone. It will be similar to the first division of years ago and probably just as enjoyable and as interesting ... and maybe if not harder, a darn sight closer.

I will miss it but wouldn''t swap where we are now.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

Has anyone noticed how virtually every team in the Championship this season has been in the top tier of English football (only 6 clubs - highlighted - haven''t)

Barnsley

Birmingham

Blackpool

Brighton

Bristol City

Burnley

Cardiff

Coventry

Crystal Palace

Derby

Doncaster

Notts Forest

Hull

Ip5w1ch

Leeds

Leicester

Middlesbrough

Millwall

Peterborough

Portsmouth

Reading

Southampton

Watford

I think this is the toughest championship yet and will probably be harder to get out of than any other year - it should make for a thrilling season (certainly worth watching the football league show again)

[/quote]

Not sure where you get your stats from but there are only 2 teams in that list who have never played in the top tier of English football are Doncaster and Peterborough.

to be fair, only the pickiest bas*ard would point this out, clearly the OP meant in the premier league era.

[quote user="Pabs"]to be fair, only the pickiest bas*ard would point this out, clearly the OP meant in the premier league era.[/quote]If the OP doesn''t say so how''s the reader supposed to know that ?To some of us on here the Premier League''s still in nappies.......

OK - My mistake - I was originally going for the old 1st Division, but plumped for RECENT top tier - which should have read the Premiership.

(The other teams who have been in the top tier and not in the Premiership, by definition, haven''t been in the top tier for decades)

However, the main point of the post was to highlight how the Championship has almost become a "reserve" Premier league.

Given that there is only one other division that clubs can go into, there are three teams changing every season and that your figures stretch over a fair old number of decades I hardly think it is any stunning observation.

The fact that you confuse teams with clubs probably tells us more.

Wow - why don''t people try and see what is being said in the context in which it is said as opposed to trying to show that they have both shoulders weighed down with McCains!

There is no confusion regarding teams with clubs - remember when we were relegated with Man Utd & Southampton in 73/74 in the old 1st Division? Whilst the teams weren''t the best (although we went straight up the following season with Man Utd) however, the clubs were still recognised as "top clubs".

BTW - Your comment regarding "3 teams changing every season comment" (which doesn''t help alleviate the confusion regarding teams with clubs) isn''t necessarily a" stunning observation" unless your supposition is that relegated teams stay in the next league down. However, as we have former PL sides in the nether reaches of the football league (Charlton, Sheffields, Bradford etc) by definition we wouldn''t necessarily have the Championship comprising of ex Premiership Clubs - and seeing that the Premiership was only formed less than 20 years ago (1992) and some of those clubs are yo-yo clubs - then I reiterate my assertion that the Championship has become a "reserve" Premier league.

Now, do we want to pick any more holes or accept what is being said in the spirit in which it is said??? (But I''m not holding my breath!)

Dont forget to add West Ham to the list, agree, thats one hel of a division and will be some cracking matches to watch without concern on impact to us (that makes a change)

It''s going to get increasingly harder to get out of the Championship, for at least two reasons:

1) Wealthy foreign owners will figure more and more in the Championship, and they will attract better players.

2) A related point - parachute money is now bordering on the distasteful - £40m over four or five years. This will be a major barrier for poorer clubs emerging from League 1.

I''m glad we got out when we did.

Does anyone know if the same rule still stands regarding parachute money for clubs who go straight back up to the Premier League? It used to be the case that their second year''s money was divided up between the other clubs in the Championship - will that still apply with the third and fourth year''s money?