Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Our run in compared to others likely to be involved in relegation scrap

I know, I got bored, but I thought I''d take a look at the run ins. (If you don''t like the post, just ignore it, don''t post random abuse!)

Us- Everton (H), Spurs (A), Man City (H), Blackburn (A), Liverpool (H), Arsenal (A), Villa (H)

QPR- Man Utd (A), Swansea (H), WBA (A), Spurs (H), Chelsea (A), Stoke (H), Man City (A)

Swansea- Newcastle (H), QPR (A), Blackburn (H), Bolton (A), Wolves (H), Man Utd (A), Liverpool (H)

Wigan- Chelsea (A), Man Utd (H), Arsenal (A), Fulham (A), Newcastle (H), Blackburn (A), Wolves (H)

Wolves- Stoke (A), Arsenal (H), Sunderland (A), Man City (H), Swansea (A), Everton (H), Wigan (A)

Looking at these, Wolves play Swansea and Wigan which really are going to be 6 pointers. QPR are playing Swansea and WBA. And all the other sides who are likely to be ''down there'' at the end are playing one or two of the other relegation candidates. However, we aren''t playing any of them (except possibly Blackburn), But is this a good thing? I can''t work out whether it is or not!!

Am I the only one who thinks Newcastle could be down there? Selling off their assets, Joey Barton not exactly happy, replacing with foreign imports that may well not adapt and managed by a manager with a proven record of having second season syndrome. I reckon Newcastle could be in trouble. And then there''s Blackburn, who did poorly towards the end of last season and have just sold Phil Jones and don''t exactly look like signing anyone anytime soon.

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

I am confident we will not be down there.

Swansea never been in the top flight, cant see QPR or Norwich being down there, Wigan Wolves with Swansea

[/quote]

Football didn''t begin in 1992.

I do not want to be argumentative but you have made the mistake that all pundits tend to which is to assume that this season will be the same as the last.   It never is.  Players move, managers change and sometimes that mysterious spirit which infects some teams enabling them to play above their talent abandons one team and finds another.

There are always teams who do better than expected e.g. Bolton and West Brom last season and teams which do worse e.g. Birmingham and Everton.   Who knows this season.  Wolves may kick off and do well.  Bolton and Fulham may slip.  I agree that Nerwcastle may struggle.

Your post shows the potential differences in the runins and that is a valid point.  But both you and I waded through stacks of posts towards the ends of the last two seasons about how much harder our runin was than Charlton or Forest yet it still turned out ok.

And in 2005, we just needed a point at Fulham on our last day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

I am confident we will not be down there.

Swansea never been in the top flight, cant see QPR or Norwich being down there, Wigan Wolves with Swansea

[/quote]

Football didn''t begin in 1992.

[/quote]haha yup they finished 2nd once... just missing out on winning it (on the last day of the season to eventual winners Liverpool wasn''t it)

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I do not want to be argumentative but you have made the mistake that all pundits tend to which is to assume that this season will be the same as the last.   It never is.  Players move, managers change and sometimes that mysterious spirit which infects some teams enabling them to play above their talent abandons one team and finds another.

There are always teams who do better than expected e.g. Bolton and West Brom last season and teams which do worse e.g. Birmingham and Everton.   Who knows this season.  Wolves may kick off and do well.  Bolton and Fulham may slip.  I agree that Nerwcastle may struggle.

Your post shows the potential differences in the runins and that is a valid point.  But both you and I waded through stacks of posts towards the ends of the last two seasons about how much harder our runin was than Charlton or Forest yet it still turned out ok.

And in 2005, we just needed a point at Fulham on our last day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]I agree and think that good bets for relegation could be Newcastle, Wolves and QPR.I also expect Stoke to struggle more so than they have done so far this coming season.Oh how I wish that Blackburn would be relegated and Wigan with them, but I can see both doing just enough to survive yet again!

Essentially what it comes down to is 38 games, not the last 6/7 games.

This season, if were not safe at the end of March (i think we will be) then there will be huge pressure on us.

You forgot to mention Blackburn, Bolton, fulham, Newcastle, Stoke, sunderland, West Brom or cabbage crisis club Aston villa or any of the other clubs just as likely to be involved in a relegation fight as us or do you really see the Premiership as that simplistic?

if i may be so bold...

as a totallly impartial outsider, i have to say that relegation this season, in my honest opinion, will be between the favourites from last season,wigan, blackburn and wolves and the three newly promoted clubs. historically that`s just the way it is. it`s admirable that you all think you`ll stay up comfortably. and as `yellow goggle` wearing norwich supporters i`d expect no less, but swansea and norwich are joint favourites to drop back down for a reason. i hope you do stay up, as living here, i`ve noticed a difference in the general mood of people in the city since you earned promotion. so good luck!.

[quote user="exiled blue"]if i may be so bold...

as a totallly impartial outsider, i have to say that relegation this season, in my honest opinion, will be between the favourites from last season,wigan, blackburn and wolves and the three newly promoted clubs. historically that`s just the way it is. it`s admirable that you all think you`ll stay up comfortably. and as `yellow goggle` wearing norwich supporters i`d expect no less, but swansea and norwich are joint favourites to drop back down for a reason. i hope you do stay up, as living here, i`ve noticed a difference in the general mood of people in the city since you earned promotion. so good luck!.[/quote]As I said on another thread, of course we are optimistic. If you aren''t confident at this stage of the summer, you might as well give up being a football supporter altogether. Of course "neutral" observers will have the 3 promoted clubs as favourites to go down, we wouldn''t expect anything else from the experts, based on statistics from previous seasons.But it is also a fact that most of those media "experts" spent last season looking at the Premier League, and they know very little about the newly promoted sides. We, on the other hand, know that PL has exceeded expectations in each of his first two seasons and we are looking for more of the same this time round.

ouside the top 6 any of the remaining clubs could get relegated - Sunderland were in free fall and will Pulis finally end that outstanding record of never getting relegated? Fulham could implode, Everton occassional teeter. Villa have a dour serial relegationist at the helm now and a squad of players looking to leave. Blackburn have cash to spend but can they survive again?

Teams like Wigan continue to survive and are used to fighting so wont be relegated as easily as many here expect and Swansea have nothing to lose.

Its all to play for - if we have enough quality I know that PL will get the ethic and teamwork element right to make us survivors.

We, on the other hand, know that PL has exceeded expectations in each of his first two seasons and we are looking for more of the same this time round.

i just think it may be a step too far. talk about heaping pressure on the poor guy!!. there`s a difference in quality between div 1 and the championship, obviously, but the gulf between the prem and the championship is vast.like i said, i hope you do stay up, i`ve no axe to grind here, but i think a lot of people on here may be in for a bit of a shock.