Sign in to follow this  
hps2031a

New Signings

Not moaning, not disappointed, looking forward to great season ahead, and I trust PL''s judgement.

But, how many of the signings so far are better than what we already have?

So far they are additions to the squad, none you would automatically say will start the first game next season, not only do we need more bodies to increase the squad size, we need that extra bit of class, and not just one it needs to be two or three, Johnson rumoured, will he start?

Yes these would be the type of player we could retain if you went down, but David McNally said we are staying there, not to be to be taken literally, yes we can do it..

PL in my eyes is King, but if he can buy players, that he can transform from either league one and championship to good premiership players, then I believe the next thing will be turning water into wine, or walking on water.

Keep up will you!Water into wine and walking on water are the 2 years AFTER this one in the plan. After being a couple of years ahead of schedule, they had to re-vamp the plan a bit.So to re-cap, it''s PL champions this year, water into wine next year and walking on water the year after that.Then we''ll see where we go.[Y]

probably none of them are better than the starting eleven but the squad needed urgent work if you look at the bench we had towards the end of last season we had two loan players and mcnamee. We were struggling for numbers and in these signings we increase our depthand give ourselves a few more options such as the speed of bennett on the wing.  One of the down sides of the quick rise that we do not have the squad depth of a Swansea or QPR and Lambert is addressing this factor.  I''d say building a Premier League squad is a gradual process and a whole lot more work will be done but slowly and surely. In Lambert we trust.

[quote user="hps2031a"]Not moaning, not disappointed, looking forward to great season ahead, and I trust PL''s judgement.

But, how many of the signings so far are better than what we already have?

So far they are additions to the squad, none you would automatically say will start the first game next season, not only do we need more bodies to increase the squad size, we need that extra bit of class, and not just one it needs to be two or three, Johnson rumoured, will he start?

Yes these would be the type of player we could retain if you went down, but David McNally said we are staying there, not to be to be taken literally, yes we can do it..

PL in my eyes is King, but if he can buy players, that he can transform from either league one and championship to good premiership players, then I believe the next thing will be turning water into wine, or walking on water.[/quote]I agree with you. There are question marks over all of our players imo with the exception of Vaughan who has played in the Prem. Lets just hope that alot of our squad including the new additions can make the step up. If they can''t then we are in trouble.

The choice is simple.

Would you rather get in players on the way up or would you rather get in some Premiership, or ex-Premiership, overpaid players on the way down?

Agree with everything that has been said.

The only downside to the rapid rise in the last 2 years is that we haven''t established a decent championship squad yet (let alone premiership).

The players signed so far have now solved that resulting in if the worse happened we have a decent shout of going straight back up again.

We are not going to be able to sign world-beaters at this stage. As long as we can remain competitive against the teams that matter, then year by year we can start to add the marquee signings (ala stoke).

No one thought Fox would be better than Russell last season but there you have it.

Just because they come from the lower leagues, doesn''t make them lesser players.

Not saying any of them are lesser players, I don''t know.

All I am saying is we still need two or three more players that ARE better than what we have to take us a stage further, I don''t expect us to be spending like your Liverpool''s or Man Utd just better than what we have.

From league one to the championship we brought in at least four players that you knew would be in the starting eleven, we would not have been were we are now without them.

So if these players are no better , the squad gets bigger agreed, but not better.

[quote user="hps2031a"]So if these players are no better , the squad gets bigger agreed, but not better.[/quote]

No, you have got that wrong on both counts. At the moment our Squad comprises of over 30 professionals, we can only name a 25 man squad which will include "better" players to replace those who will be sold, let go or sent out on loan. Our Squad is effectively getting smaller and better.

They Could, but could and can do are the difference between a fighting chance of staying up, and going done.

I pray that everything goes as we all would want, but would rather be in a position that we all feel that it''s a real possibility of seventeenth and above, nothings a given with whoever you recruit, but you don''t go to a gunfight with a knife, would like to see two or three guns.

It just might happen, fingers crossed, bring on Wigan.

Look at what we are facing as a club. Henderson to Liverpool for £20M, Jones to United for £16-20M. Neither are marquee signings. So these two would account for our entire windfall for this season. So what does PL do? Go for experienced premiership players at the end of their careers who might be available for £5M or less but may not be bothered if things get tight? Or does he go for younger players who by their lack of premiership experience are hungry to prove what they can do and with a corresponding price tag and wage expecation? With the latter option he also ensures that should we go down we have a squad that will have a ver good chance of coming straight back. PL has performed miracles for us and I''ll support whatever he decides to do this season, whatever the final outcome.

I agree, and most of what you have said, I said in earlier threads, but as I have said, not expecting to compete with Liverpool.

Just to add two or three players that are BETTER, not equal or worse.

I''ve said enough now, I want us to succed as much as anybody, and hope we do, but don''t want to go down, after one season, want to start to build for the future, to emulate the likes of Bolton or Stoke, would be a massive achievement.

Really not better?

Bennett has been more consistent than McNamee and adds pace to the squad - different type of player to what we have generally.

Vaughan has strength, passion and experience, will hold the ball up better than Jackson

Morison, def better than Cody

De Laet - not sure he is - but has potential.

The signings have improved the squad. I can see all 4 starting - although expect Morison to give way to Holt - but it will be a close thing; Morisons extra pace my give him the longer term edge.

These players do improve our squad and we have real options across the pitch.

but I agree they are missing some pizzazz - a hucks type signing would be great, and a class central defender remains my priority; but so far EVERY signings has taken this club forward by improving what it had. However we have to also accept that not every one of them will come off; they simply never do for 101 different reason;

Streuth, its not even July, we have a stronger squad and plenty of time to fill the gaps with some genuine starting 11 quality.

Look at it this way, the board and PL will not sign players that don''t have the same ambition as them for this club.

Unproven, young motivated players to me equals a deadly threat to any top rated prem players.

They will be hungry to impress and will want to get one over on the likes of the over-paid rooneys on so on.

So as for wanting better players you can''t get better than that.

Remember half our side started in our league 1 side so get to the prem with the same side the next year, stop ya bloody moaning about not getting BETTER players.

grant holt weren''t good enough for the championship last year to most, look how he proved wrong

I think there is a general consensus out there that the players bought in so far really improve our squad but not so much our 1st 11. Out of the signings so far, i would expect come 10 games into the season Vaughan (if he stays fit) and Bennet will have established themselves as starters, come the end of the season Morrison may have replaced Holt (i think if Lambert sees him as more beneficial to the team in the top flight, he wont be scared to drop Holt.We have yet to see any quality defencive signings, i think the summer dealings will almost be perfect if we bring in a starting experienced CB (Campbell type) and a battaling box to box midfielder, maybe an Etuhu type. I still expect 3 more signings from Lambert at least in all honesty and he has just under 2 weeks till they are back for training i believe, so expect to see the final dealings before that.Now we have De Laet on loan, does it mean we can only have 1 more loan player from a prem club? Or is that a myth that has just been spread on here?

IMO, Lambert has improved the squad tremendously already and I don''t think he''s finished yet. For the loss of Askou and Gill, he has brought in 4 quality players all of whom have the key ingredient of pace as well. There are no emergency loans in the Prem, so injuries and suspensions have to be covered. De Laet can play anywhere in the defence as well as possibly DMF. At last there is cover and competition for Holt and Hoolahan in the case of injury or suspension and Vaughan, Morison and Bennett add new options tactically for Lambert from the start or through substitutions. This is definite improvement, IMO, and I''m optimistic about the chances of staying up already. Any new players coming in will be a bonus. OTBC!

Put it this way, I feel more confident in these 4 players than I do with all of Worthy''s signings last time we went up!

Not sure I agree with that Red Canary - it was the new signings that gave us some hope.

I think Lambert knows he has to change his squad building plan from the last couple of season. He has been able to bring in loan signings to boost our squad at crucial times to keep momentum going; wilbraham, lansbury, tierney, pacecho & vokes all came in to give us a step up.

None of that will be possible next season; come 1st sept we have to last until 1st Jan with the same players - same again from 1st Feb. No loan or permanent deals - except for uncontracted players - can be made outside the windows. As such he has to get most of his season end squad in place now. We have options for al positions - and they are all better than we had.

What we have not yet done is fill the gap left by Lansbury/Pacecho - they came in for Hoolahan as a sub.

[quote user="hps2031a"]I agree, and most of what you have said, I said in earlier threads, but as I have said, not expecting to compete with Liverpool. Just to add two or three players that are BETTER, not equal or worse. I''ve said enough now, I want us to succed as much as anybody, and hope we do, but don''t want to go down, after one season, want to start to build for the future, to emulate the likes of Bolton or Stoke, would be a massive achievement.[/quote]

I''m afraid the reality is that it will not be possible to emulate Bolton or Stoke. Bolton have been subsidised to the tune of 80m by loans from local benefactors and Stoke are subsidised by the wealthy owner of Bet 365. This is the reason that they have been able to establish themselves in the premiership. Swansea, Wolves and West Brom are the only teams Norwich can come close to competing with financially.

Vaughan - Similar player to Jackson but with more strenght so for me that makes him better.

Morison - I believe he has come here purely as back up for Holt but we have brought him knowing he has potential and could challeneg Holt for a place in the team.

Bennett - We don''t have any wingers apart from McNamee so how can you say Bennett has not improved our squad?

De Laet - I don''t know much about him but he onbviously has potential and is versatile.

Overall I think our squad has improved quite a lot already.  I would like just one ''marquee'' signing who is hopefully a centre back with a bit of experience apart from that though I am fine with the way we are doing business.  I don''t think we will be anywhere near challenging top half at all but I believe we have every chance of staying up so far.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I think there is a general consensus out there that the players bought in so far really improve our squad but not so much our 1st 11. Out of the signings so far, i would expect come 10 games into the season Vaughan (if he stays fit) and Bennet will have established themselves as starters, come the end of the season Morrison may have replaced Holt (i think if Lambert sees him as more beneficial to the team in the top flight, he wont be scared to drop Holt.We have yet to see any quality defencive signings, i think the summer dealings will almost be perfect if we bring in a starting experienced CB (Campbell type) and a battaling box to box midfielder, maybe an Etuhu type. I still expect 3 more signings from Lambert at least in all honesty and he has just under 2 weeks till they are back for training i believe, so expect to see the final dealings before that.Now we have De Laet on loan, does it mean we can only have 1 more loan player from a prem club? Or is that a myth that has just been spread on here?[/quote]

Is this the beginnings of the first "Holt won''t be good enough for the Premiership" campaign ?!?!

All of you in your own right are correct, but most you seem not bothered that, these players we are bringing in are as cover for the current first eleven as most of you think, but are the first eleven good enough!!!!

Can you not see that that eleven needs to have some changes, that are better not the same, we can''t concede as many stupid goals as last year, and we are unlikely to score as many, so that spells only one thing a reciepe for disaster.

Yes there may be more, let''s hope they can improve the first eleven.

[quote user="hps2031a"]Not saying any of them are lesser players, I don''t know.

All I am saying is we still need two or three more players that ARE better than what we have to take us a stage further, I don''t expect us to be spending like your Liverpool''s or Man Utd just better than what we have.

From league one to the championship we brought in at least four players that you knew would be in the starting eleven, we would not have been were we are now without them.

So if these players are no better , the squad gets bigger agreed, but not better.[/quote] how do you know how good they will be playing in our team and having the benefit of PL''s guidance. to say they are no better than what we have is a just a guess. reserve judgement until at least november.