Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

De Laet confirmed on official site

[quote user="spencer 1970"]http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2378220,00.html[/quote]

i must admit this is the first signing m a little under-whelmed on, im normally very positive this one i just dont see at the moment, look at the three clubs he was loaned to last year, but in lambert we trust and i am sure he is a far better judge then i am lol

I don''t know enough on the player to judge really.  Looked comfortable without ever being spectacular when I saw him in the Championship last season.What he will offer us is flexibility and cover across the back four, as he has previously played centre-half, right back and left back.  Highly rate at Old Trafford he must have something about him that marks him out as one for the future!

Been looking on the Manure forums and most people seem to rate him as good enough for the Prem but not good enough for them!

Decent enough player from what I''ve seen of him, can play CB and RB - overall, pretty decent defensive utility player

I''m pretty sure he did, manbearpig. The fact he can play RB is probably the main reason he is so appealing, can give cover and competition for RB and CB now. It''s all falling into place, in Lambert we trust!

he only has 1 year left on his contract so the season loan is a strange one, could be a good bit of business from lambert and co , might sign him on a free next summer or buy him in jan if doing well, don''t think he has a future at old trafford

Don''t know much about him but as usual trust Lamberts judgment, unlike most loan situations from bigger clubs I think this one could lead into a perm deal, even if he does really well for us this season I can''t see him getting into Man Uniteds team with Rio, Vidic, Smalling and Jones all in his position. So unlike most loan situations where it feels like were just developing other clubs young talent, I''m optimistic this one could go onto be one of our own in the future.

I don''t know much about him to comment but the fact he can play across the back four is a very good thing for us especially as we only have R.Martin as a right back.  I would like another centre back to come in though, hopefully an experienced leader.

Another player with a bit of pace. As good as a signing rather than a short term, stop gap loan.

He also seems to fit the ''young hungry, something to prove/achieve'' model rather than ''proven Premier League'' player.

Thankfully he is here in time to join Lamberts German huddle, when they go off to have the Lambert way ''knocked into them''.

Bit by bit it all seems to be falling into place.

[quote user="City1st"]Another player with a bit of pace. As good as a signing rather than a short term, stop gap loan. He also seems to fit the ''young hungry, something to prove/achieve'' model rather than ''proven Premier League'' player. Thankfully he is here in time to join Lamberts German huddle, when they go off to have the Lambert way ''knocked into them''. Bit by bit it all seems to be falling into place.[/quote]

I would echo all of that, seems like a good signing that will also add to the squad rather than be coming in and be a shoe in for a starting place. Keeps everyone on their toes knowing that there will be a decent youngster waiting to take their place

Good signing, impressed at every club he''s been at.Plus he can play CB & RB, so saves us having to spend on a RB who will most likely just be 2rd choice all season. Also if he impresses there is a good chance we will be able to pick him up on a free at the end of the season.

He''s too young for a free transfer.

It''d be a tribunal (but still cheap)

Seems to have potential, but I thought he was predominately a full back and able to cover the centre if needed.  I''d still like a centre back to come in if it was down to me.

[quote user="7rew"]He''s too young for a free transfer.

It''d be a tribunal (but still cheap)[/quote]I thought tribunal was only used when a player comes through the academy. So I don''t think it applies to De Laet because United signed him from Stoke but I could be wrong...

[quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="7rew"]He''s too young for a free transfer.

It''d be a tribunal (but still cheap)[/quote]I thought tribunal was only used when a player comes through the academy. So I don''t think it applies to De Laet because United signed him from Stoke but I could be wrong...[/quote]Free transfers apply to over 24s.  Otherwise the two clubs agree a fee or tribunal.

Looks a really decent signing, his versatility could be vital throughout the season and lambert says his main strenght is his pace, def think we need plenty of that in our full back positions. Overall very pleased, still need a strong center back though

Happy. I reckon that he shows bags of potential. Maybe won''t come to full fruition next season but if we managed to get him on a permanent (dependant on whether we survive the drop) he could become an important mainstay. If we can just get in an experienced old head at CB who can also do a bit of mentoring, that would help continue his development hugely I think. Has mixed with real pedigree so far though...

Good signing....will be a good addition to the squad, still think we need one more defender, someone of the Ian Evatt mould would be good.

[quote user="CRAZY LEGS"]great signing big improvment on ward from what ive seen of him[/quote]

Well he must be bloody awesome then because Elliott Ward has been brilliant for us.

Or maybe you''re just talking rubbish.

[quote user="SPANGLES"][quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="7rew"]He''s too young for a free transfer.

It''d be a tribunal (but still cheap)[/quote]I thought tribunal was only used when a player comes through the academy. So I don''t think it applies to De Laet because United signed him from Stoke but I could be wrong...[/quote]Free transfers apply to over 24s.  Otherwise the two clubs agree a fee or tribunal.[/quote]

Wrong? A tribunal is only necessary if the player is offered a contract of greater value than his existing one by his current club.

Man Utd can (and probably will) release him at the end of the season.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="CRAZY LEGS"]great signing big improvment on ward from what ive seen of him[/quote]

Well he must be bloody awesome then because Elliott Ward has been brilliant for us.

Or maybe you''re just talking rubbish.

[/quote]Very well said GJP [Y]Glad that we do actually have another Elliot Ward fan.  You do realise that we are in the minority though and that the majority of city fans consider him a liability that isn''t up to Premiership football?In my opinion Ward has been our best centre half and has been the leader of our defence for the majority of the season.  Take away his leadership and composure (apart from the odd rush of blood where he loses it) and our defence would have been an absolute shambles last season and we would certainly not have won promotion.Don''t worry Wardy... I am sure that you are number one centre half at the club in lambert and Culverhouse''s books at the moment and that is what counts!

make that a third Elliott Ward fan! He relaxes the back 4 (including Ruddy) around him with his coolness and this rubs off on the teams playing style