Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

Darren Ambrose, Madjid Bougherra and Bradley Johnson

Chatting to a guy last night who claimed to be ''in the know'' all things NCFC. I must add at this point, that I was in a pub and this guy had consumed a couple of shandies so I am not overly convinced.

However, he added a new name to the mix that I hadn''t heard before so thought I''d share. He claimed to be good friends with a member of NCFC staff and that our remaining targets were:

Darren Ambrose

Madjid Bougherra

Bradley Johnson who he says has signed.

2 of these three could easily have been picked up from this message board but I hadn''t heard Bougherra linked with us before. Anyone heard anything about us being interested in him? Obviously there''s the Ewan Chester link.

Like most people, i am not to fussed about Johnson, but it is on a free and his wages wont be huge so cant complain.I have to admit i have not seen Bougherra play that much, but he is a big solid CB at Rangers with some european experience i believe, just what we are looking for really. I always have my worries about players from the Scottish leagues, would hope he doesn''t turn out to be another Smith if we did sign him.I would like to see us make a move for Tamir Cohen, espicially since he has been released so would be another free, assume there are a few clubs looking at him though. Carew is another i would look at for a 2 year contract, would be expensive though and i expect a ''bigger'' club will grab him on a free.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Like most people, i am not to fussed about Johnson, but it is on a free and his wages wont be huge so cant complain.

I have to admit i have not seen Bougherra play that much, but he is a big solid CB at Rangers with some european experience i believe, just what we are looking for really. I always have my worries about players from the Scottish leagues, would hope he doesn''t turn out to be another Smith if we did sign him.

I would like to see us make a move for Tamir Cohen, espicially since he has been released so would be another free, assume there are a few clubs looking at him though. Carew is another i would look at for a 2 year contract, would be expensive though and i expect a ''bigger'' club will grab him on a free.
[/quote]

But Newcastle are said to be having talks with Johnson

O i missed that Pete, where has that been reported? I thought it was almost certain that he had a medical with us and will be signing on 1st July when his contract is up.

Madjid Bougherra will probably be playing for Algeria in the African Nations Cup early next year, and they are likely to progress in the competition.  Can we really afford to sign a player who may not be available for a whole month?

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]Madjid Bougherra will probably be playing for Algeria in the African Nations Cup early next year, and they are likely to progress in the competition.  Can we really afford to sign a player who may not be available for a whole month?[/quote]Algeria are bottom of their qualifying group and unlikely to progress and even if they manage to make it to the Tournament it is unlikely they will progress far.Bougherra is an excellent centre back and even if he was out for a month (which would more likely be 2 weeks) he would well worth be signing.

I''d be very surprised if we were going for another centre-back, especially with the midfield looking paper thin. I mean with Ward, Barnett, Whitbread and de Laet, why would we want a fifth?

I think Bougie would add something to our centre back options - has been highly rated.

However my only question is motivation? An easy choice to take higher scottish wages in an easy league - is he still hungry enough to do well for us? If he is and lambert likes him to talk to rangers then he is a signing I would like.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I''d be very surprised if we were going for another centre-back, especially with the midfield looking paper thin. I mean with Ward, Barnett, Whitbread and de Laet, why would we want a fifth? [/quote]I think de Laet has been marked as RB cover, but can also play centre back. All it would take is an injury to Russell Martin and a suspension to Ward, Barnett or Whitbread and you are down to the bare bones. We had 4 centre backs at the end of last year and then lost Rob Edwards so can certainly imagine an extra player being brought in.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]Madjid Bougherra will probably be playing for Algeria in the African Nations Cup early next year, and they are likely to progress in the competition.  Can we really afford to sign a player who may not be available for a whole month?
[/quote]

Algeria are bottom of their qualifying group and unlikely to progress and even if they manage to make it to the Tournament it is unlikely they will progress far.

Bougherra is an excellent centre back and even if he was out for a month (which would more likely be 2 weeks) he would well worth be signing.
[/quote]

Also potential Ramadan issues as we had with Safri. If we sign him don''t expect him to be a regular performer but as long as we accept this and have back-up he could be a good signing.  Apparently his club v country issues have been a problem with Rangers but with a large squad we should be ok.

http://www.dothebouncy.com/News/?p=1985  

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I''d be very surprised if we were going for another centre-back, especially with the midfield looking paper thin. I mean with Ward, Barnett, Whitbread and de Laet, why would we want a fifth?
[/quote]

Many are calling for another CB and Bougherra (sp) would easily be the best. I Barnett gets injured and Ward is playing awfully then we don''t have many options, espcially if Martin also gets injured so De Laet plays right-vback. Not having enough cover would destroy us.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]Madjid Bougherra will probably be playing for Algeria in the African Nations Cup early next year, and they are likely to progress in the competition.  Can we really afford to sign a player who may not be available for a whole month?[/quote]Algeria are bottom of their qualifying group and unlikely to progress and even if they manage to make it to the Tournament it is unlikely they will progress far.Bougherra is an excellent centre back and even if he was out for a month (which would more likely be 2 weeks) he would well worth be signing. [/quote]

Also potential Ramadan issues as we had with Safri. If we sign him don''t expect him to be a regular performer but as long as we accept this and have back-up he could be a good signing.  Apparently his club v country issues have been a problem with Rangers but with a large squad we should be ok.

[/quote]Ramadan isn''t really an issue, it was over played when Safri was here. Professional sportsmen are allowed special exemption from the rules of Ramadan - it was only the local media here that reported it being an issue, despite Safri saying it wasn''t. There are plenty of Muslim footballers all over the world who never really suffered - Zidane being the main example.I don''t really see much of an issue in the link, just the normal African Cup of Nations thing. It even says that Algeria allowed him to stay later than normally would be expected.Bougherra is a good player and a good pro. I would imagine if he was to leave Rangers though it might be to a bigger club than us.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I''d be very surprised if we were going for another centre-back, especially with the midfield looking paper thin. I mean with Ward, Barnett, Whitbread and de Laet, why would we want a fifth?
[/quote]

Ward and Whitbread may well struggle at the top level.  On the odd occasion that we faced anyone with pace last year they had difficulties, particularly at Swansea.  Even Vaughan gave them a hard time when we played at Palace, and Whitbread struggled to get anywhere near Danny Graham at Watford.  Lambert is no mug, if he thinks we need another centre half then we do.

Incidentally, Bougherra turned down a 2 year contract extension in April, saying that he wanted to play in the Premier League.  he now has a year left on his contract.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]Madjid Bougherra will probably be playing for Algeria in the African Nations Cup early next year, and they are likely to progress in the competition.  Can we really afford to sign a player who may not be available for a whole month?
[/quote]

Algeria are bottom of their qualifying group and unlikely to progress and even if they manage to make it to the Tournament it is unlikely they will progress far.

Bougherra is an excellent centre back and even if he was out for a month (which would more likely be 2 weeks) he would well worth be signing.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ramadan isn''t really an issue, it was over played when Safri was here. Professional sportsmen are allowed special exemption from the rules of Ramadan - it was only the local media here that reported it being an issue, despite Safri saying it wasn''t. There are plenty of Muslim footballers all over the world who never really suffered - Zidane being the main example.

I don''t really see much of an issue in the link, just the normal African Cup of Nations thing. It even says that Algeria allowed him to stay later than normally would be expected.

Bougherra is a good player and a good pro. I would imagine if he was to leave Rangers though it might be to a bigger club than us.
[/quote]

An appearance-based contract could be a way to incentivise him to put club as top priority. I see that Demba Ba  has signed such a contract with Newcastle due to his dodgy knees, so why some on this board rule them out I just don''t comprehend.  

After doing a little research on madjid bougherra i found out he did turn down a contract at rangers for next season. So he is currently looking for a new club.

I would be surprised if we are after another CB. With de Laet we already have four.

What we really need is a RB cover for Martin. (De Laet is a left sided player and at fullback will cover Drury/Tierney).

Or does PL doubt the ability of one of our centrebacks or left backs?

[quote user="Salopian"]I would be surprised if we are after another CB. With de Laet we already have four. What we really need is a RB cover for Martin. (De Laet is a left sided player and at fullback will cover Drury/Tierney). Or does PL doubt the ability of one of our centrebacks or left backs?[/quote]

De Laet played right back for portsmouth for the majority of his loan.

I agree with Dylan. We have no centre backs with proven premier experience. We also have 2 centre backs who have suffered long term injury. In the circumstances it would be sensible to give ourselves an extra option if 1 of them struggles.

We have seen how easy it is to be short - 1 long term injury (like Barnett''s, Whitbreads) + 1 suspension or short term injury and you end up having to play someone out of form/ confidence.

The other thing is that Wikki says he can play midfield. I can''t recall him at all I''m afraid so I don''t know how viable an option this is, but at 6'' 3" this could be a handy option against the likes of Stoke?

[/quote]

Our mdfield "paper thin" huh???

fox, crofts, surman, korey, lappin, hoolahan, bennett, hughes, johnson (rumoured to have signed), adeyami. That isn''t no paper thin midfield.

We need a quality center back urgently, I dont think Ward will be good enough so that leaves Whitbread and Barnett with question marks over the pair of them.

Bougherre would be that quality addition but i wud think there would be a lot of competition for him

Bougherra is exactly the type of centre back I am looking for!  I would snap him up straight away if I was the gaffer!  I have seen him play a couple of times and have been impressed and I wouldn''t question his motivation as he always seems to wear his heart on his sleeve.  If we got him I would be delighted.

However having said all this, this rumour has come from a drunk man at a pub so I will believe it when I see it!

[quote user="Wallerboi"]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I''d be very surprised if we were going for another centre-back, especially with the midfield looking paper thin. I mean with Ward, Barnett, Whitbread and de Laet, why would we want a fifth? [/quote]

Our mdfield "paper thin" huh???

fox, crofts, surman, korey, lappin, hoolahan, bennett, hughes, johnson (rumoured to have signed), adeyami. That isn''t no paper thin midfield.

We need a quality center back urgently, I dont think Ward will be good enough so that leaves Whitbread and Barnett with question marks over the pair of them.

Bougherre would be that quality addition but i wud think there would be a lot of competition for him

[/quote]Totally agree. We need a quality centre back with pace. Someone who is street wise and has played at this level. Sod the hungry buzz word, Bougherra would be cracking. As would (i can dream) Roger Johnson

I''m convinced we will be spending big on a new centre back not so much because we lack the numbers but because we lack the quality.

Barnett is by far our best centre back but couldn''t get a look in in a very average West Brom side.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]CUSDP, someone I respect with genuine inside info, have you heard anything? Wasn''t you I was speaking to in the pub last night was it?[/quote]Cheers.The only thing i have heard is about Ambrose. Unfortunately the Mrs doesnt let me out now and im getting married next sat need my beauty sleep!

[quote user="priceyrice"]O i missed that Pete, where has that been reported? I thought it was almost certain that he had a medical with us and will be signing on 1st July when his contract is up.
[/quote]

It was on ssn one of the paper transfer slots they do every morning,

Shoild it be true darren Ambrose would be a great signign, he''s a very talented and underrated player imo.

Not bothered in the slightest that Ambrose used to play for the scum. I have always rated him and I would take Ambrose on a permanent transfer next season over Lansbury on a loan all day long -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY3hCkIfaLo

Bougherra would be a quality signing and a realistic one at that. Chester will know him from his time at Rangers and his performance against Man U last season wouldn''t have gone unnoticed -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPToLbx7k8

Would be happy with both of these players

According to the BBC gossip page this morning, Bougherra wants to leave Rangers for Champions League football. So, looks like this story might not have legs.

GK- Ruddy, Rudd

RB- Martin, De Laet

CB- Barnett, Whitbread, Ward

LB- Tierney, Drury

RM- Bennett

CM- Crofts, Fox, Johnson

LM- Surman, Lappin

CAM- Hoolahan

ST- Holt, Jackson, Morison, Vaughan

To me these are the ones contesting for the stating 11, we do need another CB so it is plausable as well as the contract offer being turned down.

PS- we also need another RM (snodgrass would be perfect) as well as perhaps a GK and i think get pacheco back.....NOW!!!!

De Laet is primarily a left CB or LB, but has the versatility to play across the back four. Versatility is also the reason I guess that we are interested in Snodgrass as he has played both left and right wing for Leeds, depending upon where Gradel is playing. However, as Gradel only has a year left on his contract and could be sold (West Ham ar rumoured to bidding £1.5M),  Uncle Ken is going to be very reluctant to lose his other winger. According to the papers this morning we have made two bids so far, but Uncle values him at £8M. So, it looks like sort of a player strike, he wont be leaving. For soem reason, PL doesnt seem to fancy the cheaper and theoretically more available Gradel.