Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Bentley on his way back?

Bentley is a player who is capable of moments of brilliance but it is too often surrounded by hours of normality. On natural ability alone he is probably head and shoulders above most of our players, but he suffers from a poor attitude - he has dined out on being from the Arsenal academy for a little too long. He had a real chance at Birmingham to show he is prepared to work hard and prove his critics wrong and he just didn''t manage it.

Even Lambert might find him hard to turn around now, and given that he is on wages of £50+k a week, financing the deal would be impossible. Even a loan would be very difficult.

My best memory of Bentley''s time at Carrow Road is the home game against Bolton which we won 3-2. He was absolutely terrific and set up a couple of the goals. Unfortunately he got injured and never played that well for us again.I think he has lost his way since all that controversy about withdrawing from the England squad a few years ago. I agree that he is unlikely to be a Lambert type of signing.

His attitude doesn''t fit in with Lambert''s ''young and hungry'' mentality. If he came here he''d strut around like a billy-big-b*ll*cks and be looking to put himself in the shop window to move to a ''bigger'' club. Plus his wages would likely be excessive compared to what Lambert will pay – I reckon he''d be on at least twice the wage of our next highest earner, and that could result in dressing-room disharmony. Would be astonished if this happened.

I havn''t met the guy so I cannot comment on his attitude.. based on only on his performances in the Prem he IS up to standard so if he was on our books why would you risk putting him on the bench with League 1 or Championship players taking his place ? He has a great delivery & on his day it wouldn''t matter what the opposition would be. Am hoping Bennet & Hoolahan do great next year but if you had to choose 1 of Hoolahan, Bennet or Bently I struggle to see why you wouldn''t choose Bently unless you were wearing Yellow-tinted glasses.