Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Bentley on his way back?

I wouldn''t trust the bleacher report.

It''s been proven to be crap on several occasions and certainly when it comes to NHL rumours (where I come across it more often) it''s treat in the same way football-rumours is on here.

Davo

I think this Bentley will be far different than his first visit here, at that time he was young and arrogant, now he''s an experienced premiership player but with some thing to prove. Ideal for what Paul Lambert is after, it would be a good signing for us. 

Failed just about everywhere he''s been, just no, trice times no even. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/unhappy-057.gif[/IMG]

I dunno, he''s been poor for a long time, but he''s got the talent, just hasn''t used it for a while. If anyone is going to get him to be the player he should be you''d think Lambert would be the man to do it.

If he''d take a massive wage cut (or Tottenham agreed to pay a fair bit of his salary) I think buying him would be a risk worth taking, but not a loan. However Tottenham paid a stupid amount for him and so will probably want too much for him and he probably wouldn''t be flexible enough on wages.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Failed just about everywhere he''s been, just no, trice times no even. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/unhappy-057.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Not really true though, is it?

He actually played quite well for us but people just applied this "arrogant big club loanee" image to him and then there was the "''ave it" incident.

Was very good at Blackburn, hence the big transfer to Spurs.

And it hasn''t worked out for him at Spurs because he isn''t one of Harry''s favourites but then Harry, quite hilariously, decided to get rid of Darren Bent because he also wasn''t one of his boys even though he was by far the best goalscorer they had on their books.

As for Birmingham...well they were never a particularly stylish side under McLeish and he opted for grafters rather than creative players. They couldn''t score goals. They got relegated (although obviously Scott Dann getting injured had a lot to do with that).

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Failed just about everywhere he''s been, just no, trice times no even. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/unhappy-057.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Not really true though, is it?

He actually played quite well for us but people just applied this "arrogant big club loanee" image to him and then there was the "''ave it" incident.

Was very good at Blackburn, hence the big transfer to Spurs.

And it hasn''t worked out for him at Spurs because he isn''t one of Harry''s favourites but then Harry, quite hilariously, decided to get rid of Darren Bent because he also wasn''t one of his boys even though he was by far the best goalscorer they had on their books.

As for Birmingham...well they were never a particularly stylish side under McLeish and he opted for grafters rather than creative players. They couldn''t score goals. They got relegated (although obviously Scott Dann getting injured had a lot to do with that).

[/quote]

Hmm?

You''ve backed me up....you just havent realised it yet! [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-058.gif[/IMG]

He doesnt strike me as a typical PL player in terms of attitude and this smells of his agent generating interestFurthermore, given that we already have De Laet on a season lomng loan, I would be amazed if PL loses flexibility regarding teh second loanee this early in the window. I expect that there will be a lot of horse trading tywoards the closure of teh window as the bigger squads look to comply with the 25 man rule. I hope this means that we are waiting on either Arsenal, or more probably Liverpool to make a decision about Lansbury or Pacheo.

I agree Wiz, and 2 of the clubs he been on loan to have been relegated, Us and Birmingham, bad omen

I''d very much doubt it, not a Lambert type player with his track record!

I had to laugh when a previous poster says that Bentley was good for us!

Yes he was good for us in about 7-8 games at the most and the other games he played for us he didn''t turn up!

And similar levels of end product return ha been much the same at every other club hes been at!

Don''t want him cause he doesn''t produce, his atitude is poisonous which would make him very detrimental to the club and Lambert wouldn''t tolerate him for long!

Would rather have a player grateful to be given the chance at Norwich getting his head down and grinding out performances even when the going gets tough!

If he lowered his wage demands drastically i think he might be worth a risk or possibly a loan-to-buy deal...

"I think this Bentley will be far different than his first visit here, at that time he was young and arrogant, now he''s an experienced premiership player but with some thing to prove. Ideal for what Paul Lambert is after, it would be a good signing for us."

Agreed... Lambert could turn a player like Bentley into a well-rounded, superb player in 6 months. Lay money on it!

I don''t think he''d challenge Bennett for a place, and with Fox''s wicked deliveries it isn''t like we''d need him for his set piece play. Can''t really think why we''d sign him to be honest.

A good example of a similar player who IS worth a punt is Seb Larsson

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]PL may have made an enquiry for Bentley in light of the hardball stance Ken Bates is taking over Snodgrass? [/quote]Theoretically he might have done.  But as it''s the BleacherReport it''s probably bollox from rumours about a month ago.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"I think this Bentley will be far different than his first visit here, at that time he was young and arrogant, now he''s an experienced premiership player but with some thing to prove. Ideal for what Paul Lambert is after, it would be a good signing for us." Agreed... Lambert could turn a player like Bentley into a well-rounded, superb player in 6 months. Lay money on it![/quote]

Well David Bentley is a very good footballer. It''s said that he''s had attitude problems in the past but regardless of that the guy can play.

He''s 26 years old, he''s played something like 150+ games in the Premier League and he''s played 7 times for England. Surely there is something there to suggest he has got ability that would improve (perhaps vastly improve) our squad.

I also think it''s worth pointing out that he played the best football of his career while he was at Blackburn - playing for a manager who knew how to get the best out of him and showed faith in him.

I work on the assumption that if we were interested in Bentley it''d be because the manager was confident he could get the best out of him and any criticisms of his character would be kept in the past.

Although, of course, there is also the finances to take into account which would probably rule us out anyway.

[quote user="Felixfan"]Overpaid waste of space. Hope I never see him in a Canary shirt again.[/quote]Come on, dont beat around the bush, tell us what you really think,...... lmao

Sure we can all dismiss him because of his attitude but let''s get real...He''s a proven prem player so by default he would command a starting place in our team..... We need to improve our fist 11 & Bently would do that. Better than anyone we have, anyone who thinks differently is slightly deluded. We really have no indication how any of our players will compete in the premier league.

Our players will perform better than Bentley, we have all seen him play, nah not for me and thanks but im not deluded, realistic more like, wonder what his wages would be!!! not what we want!!!

[quote user="Crispy"]Sure we can all dismiss him because of his attitude but let''s get real...

He''s a proven prem player so by default he would command a starting place in our team..... We need to improve our fist 11 & Bently would do that. Better than anyone we have, anyone who thinks differently is slightly deluded. We really have no indication how any of our players will compete in the premier league.
[/quote]

He isn''t and he wouldn''t. If you truly believe what you have written, you are completely deluded.