Sign in to follow this  
ChelmsfordCanary

One or Two Premiership Experienced Players???

Whats everyones thoughts?

Seeing the signings we have made already I see that we have bought wisely and carefully, buying young hungry players and I am pleased Lambert has done so. I do believe that the players we have would stay even if we were to be relegated.

Do you agree or dissagree with me when I say I would like to see one or two more signings now that have premiership experience, not talking big named signings or expensive overrated players but good solid professionals that have been in the top flight for a few seasons, whats your thoughts???

Good idea on paper, but "solid professionals" with a couple of years experience will cost around £4m each.

I would like to see a couple of older players who are natural leaders in the squad, I think the current first team doesn''t have one player over the age of 30 so a few wise heads around the place would be useful. But again these kind of players aren''t cheap.

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

....whats your thoughts???

[/quote]

Deja vu, groundhog day, you know when you''re waiting for a bus and all of a sudden three turn up at once, watching DAVE and GOLD...

[quote user="Dani Peacock"]Joanna grey, you look like a dead, rotting monkey corpse[/quote]

....and your username suits you little knob.

The problem with ''Premier League experienced players'' are twofold as far as I can see. Firstly, we are highly unlikely to be able to anybody who is getting a regular game to join us. Their wages are going to be much more than we are willing to pay and they probably wouldn''t want to join a newly promoted club anyway. So that leaves you with those who are not getting a game, but who are still getting paid high wages, who unless they are getting left out due to a fall out with the manager (troublemakers?) are not getting a game for a reason. Or you look for players who were getting a regular game last season but whose clubs were relegated. The problems there being that those clubs were relegated for a very good reason and the stand out players are going to be wanted by pretty much the entire bottom half of the Premier league. Plus you don''t want a Neil Redfearn on your hands [;)]

Name some ''Premier League experienced players'' who you think would a) sign for us b) we could afford (both wages and fee) and cb) would improve our squad. It''s actually quite difficult.

This is where I think Jonathan Spector would be a good signing. I imagine he would know Foxy from Man Utd youth days (maybe Fox is slightly older?), he''s got a few years Prem experience and he is on a free from West Ham. I''d say he would improve our squad (note I said squad and not team) by adding depth and experience to the back line. Not sure about wages, I guess that depends who else is in for him...

I agree with Shark Attack, this obsession with "experienced premiership players" is crazy.  The only ones we''ll be able to get are journeymen like Bullard, and they''re all likely to be on huge wages.  I prefer the strategy we''re taking now as it''s not going to financially ruin us if we go down, and if we do go down we won''t be forced to sell and destroy our team.  And if we stay up, well then we''ll have an entire team of experienced PL players!

Not got an ''obsession'' with experienced prem players, just in years gone by we have always had the odd one to steady the ship, now I fully agree with your comments that experience comes with higher wage bill and im talking about one or two players fitting this category and would not leave our club in ''financial'' ruin if we go down.

Just opened the subject for debate.....

Well, it''s hardly a new debate as the same argument keeps coming up in different forms on many threads.  So not opened for debate.  More a case of exhumed for debate.   It is probably second only to the Cody threads in it''s ubiquity. (Another of your exhumations I see)

Part of the reason is that both issues are equally arguable from either side.  You can make a good case for keeping Cody and a good case for letting him go.  You can make a good case for needing some experience and just as good an argument for going with cheaper hungrier players.

It is a matter of personal viewpoint and whatever happpens, the arguments will continue.  After all, we are still arguing over what happened and what should have happened in 2005

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

Not got an ''obsession'' with experienced prem players, just in years gone by we have always had the odd one to steady the ship, now I fully agree with your comments that experience comes with higher wage bill and im talking about one or two players fitting this category and would not leave our club in ''financial'' ruin if we go down.

Just opened the subject for debate.....

[/quote]Wasn''t saying you in particular, just this board in general.  We seem to keep on coming back to the same comments on needing experienced players.

I don''t think Spector is a bad idea... But I agree withy most on this forum, we need to keep an eye out on the wage bill and get players who really want to play for us. Still wouldn''t mind a foreigner though, there are many good players out there that would be great signings, without the wage problem!

The only player who I honestly think fits into the mould who would be a remote possibility would be Upson.

Not having watched much (if any) of West Sham last season I don''t know what his form was like or how much of West Sham''s poor season was down to the team falling asleep or getting really depressed whenever Avram grant started to talk for more than a minute.

He''s 32 and has bags of experience. If we signed him to a one year contract with the option for an additional year then it would limit the damage to us if we went down. Wages could still be a problem though.

Davo

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

I don''t think Spector is a bad idea... But I agree withy most on this forum, we need to keep an eye out on the wage bill and get players who really want to play for us. Still wouldn''t mind a foreigner though, there are many good players out there that would be great signings, without the wage problem!

[/quote]

Could you give a few examples please.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

Could you give a few examples please.

[/quote]

I think it is impossible for anyone here to give examples of good foreign players who would be available as none of us have regular contact with scouts and agents. That is what the professionals are paid for. I could reel off a list of 50 or so players who I think are excellent, but I wouldn''t have much of a clue to how the player is thinking about a move to England or how their club is thinking about their value. The Swiss player mentioned on here for example, he was someone I had seen play in Italy but I wouldn''t have thought "ah, he would be a good player for Norwich" as I wouldn''t have the first clue how much Cesena might want for him or if he would even consider a move to England.