Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

"Cody McDonald gives Norwich City the best of both worlds" – Bryan Gunn

Say no more... this is why we all knew that you would never make it as a manager Bryan.

Sentimental rubbish, he simply isn''t good enough for the top of the Championship at the moment let alone the Prem in a squad where he will be number 6 in the pecking order to play upfront at best!

You obviously attended every match Cody played in last season home and away so who are we to argue with such a qualified opinion. Say no more.......

Seen plenty enough of Cody in his time at City to know that he will never play in the Premiership Lapps (a quality that you and Gunny don''t have - judging a player on a few games).The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be.  A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player.PS while you are here maybe you could answer the questions I pose you on that other thread the other day?Just a sec, I will post you a link to it...

Did Bryan attend every game last season either? This frum is all about opinions! Smudger does not think he can cut it in the prem - nowt wring with that.

My twopenworth is that he has had a great season & deserves his chances at a higher level. When Ihave seen him play he does not strike me as a prem footballer either - but if we were in the champs would let him have a chance. We are not.

What would I do if manager? Well I loaned him out last season and saw him play well and score in league 2. Despite that I brought in other strikers during the close season once we got promoted. With only has a year on his contract then I would sell him and cash in as I have other strikers I currently prefer. That does not mean I dont rate him, more he is surplus to requirements and not as good as the players left behind.

The alternative is offer him another deal and loan him out, looking to use him should we get relegated, or sell him for more than we could get this season if he does well at a higher level and my latest signings want to stay.

[quote user="Smudger"]Seen plenty enough of Cody in his time at City to know that he will never play in the Premiership Lapps (a quality that you and Gunny don''t have - judging a player on a few games).

The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be.  A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player.

PS while you are here maybe you could answer the questions I pose you on that other thread the other day?

Just a sec, I will post you a link to it...

[/quote]

... and you saw enough of MacNamee but he never reached the levels that you said he would. How about giving Cody a chance before writing him off.

"The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be. A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player."

It''s not like we have coaches/methods of training etc that have previously developed lower league players is it ?

If another club, comes in with a decent offer and the club and Cody agree then fine, if not I see no reason why he should not stay and see if he can crack it in the Premier league.

The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League.

For some this is not a close season - it''s a corny 1970''s Kung Foo film.

In the same way you ''thought'' Snodgrass was at Colney

"The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League." -

Bravo, well said and quite bloody right.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Say no more... this is why we all knew that you would never make it as a manager Bryan.

Sentimental rubbish, he simply isn''t good enough for the top of the Championship at the moment let alone the Prem in a squad where he will be number 6 in the pecking order to play upfront at best!

[/quote]

Smudger someone who knows what they are talking about and is not licking Codys backside

[quote user="City1st"]In the same way you ''thought'' Snodgrass was at Colney[/quote]

Why do I keep seeing the words ''Non Entity'' when you post?  [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/crazy.gif[/IMG]

I think the "Cody''s simply not good enough" brigade are being a little unfair on the lad.  He scored 25 goals for Gils last season, so clearly he''s improved since he played for us.  It may be the case that he''s not good enough for the prem yet, but I can see him doing a good job at a League 1 or Championsip team if we loaned him out again, and as a young player still has time to develop.I wouldn''t be particularly sad to see him sold as I think what he needs now is first team football and he won''t get that with us this season, but another loan spell and perhaps he''ll be good enough next season.  So I wouldn''t be annoyed to see him sign a new contract either.  I certainly wouldn''t write him off quite yet.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Seen plenty enough of Cody in his time at City to know that he will never play in the Premiership Lapps (a quality that you and Gunny don''t have - judging a player on a few games).The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be.  A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player.PS while you are here maybe you could answer the questions I pose you on that other thread the other day?Just a sec, I will post you a link to it...

[/quote]

... and you saw enough of MacNamee but he never reached the levels that you said he would. How about giving Cody a chance before writing him off.

[/quote]McNamee will still have a little part to play this coming season I think Paul.  He is creative and effective in short spells of games and has played well for the odd 90 mins here and there even though it is against popular opinion because of most of those games wehre he has played well for an entire 90 mins (or close to it) have probably been on the road when we were in League One.PS.  while you are here about taking a look at my shirtIt has your legends signature on it so surely worth a fortune in years to come???I said the following in my ad... "Oh and if Paul Moy is watching it also has the

signing of that legend that is going to storm the Premiership one day, the one

and only Cody McDonald.  I''m sure that

should put the value of this masterpiece up by tuppence???

[quote user="City1st"]"The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be. A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player."

It''s not like we have coaches/methods of training etc that have previously developed lower league players is it ?

If another club, comes in with a decent offer and the club and Cody agree then fine, if not I see no reason why he should not stay and see if he can crack it in the Premier league.

The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League.

For some this is not a close season - it''s a corny 1970''s Kung Foo film.[/quote]I agree with what you have to say about the Prem City1st, that is why I have been predicting that we will finish in the top 10 for ages now and that we don''t need Premiership experience to do it either.  The majority of players at that level are well over-rated and with a few more additions of the kind of player we have been signing then we will be fine.  Would love to see us spend a little more on a quality midfielder and it''s no secret that I would love McGugan and a centre half.I have said for years that there is plenty of talent to pick fromin the lower leagues if you know what you are doing and I think that we are doing it exactloy the right way now!Cody is simply not good enough though for the highest level.  If his first touch anywhere near matched his pace then it might be a different story.  But first touch in football is a players natural ability and not something which can be coached in to players effectively.This is why I would sell Cody now and make money on him while we can.  Nothing personal as he has done well for us when given the opportunity.  But we as a club have progressed far too quickly for him and now that we have at least 5 strikers in the pecking order above him (and maybe more) the time is to wish him luck and say goodbye.We won''t get a better opportunity to make some money on Cody than what we have this summer in my opinion.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="City1st"]"The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be. A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player." It''s not like we have coaches/methods of training etc that have previously developed lower league players is it ? If another club, comes in with a decent offer and the club and Cody agree then fine, if not I see no reason why he should not stay and see if he can crack it in the Premier league. The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League. For some this is not a close season - it''s a corny 1970''s Kung Foo film.[/quote]

I agree with what you have to say about the Prem City1st, that is why I have been predicting that we will finish in the top 10 for ages now and that we don''t need Premiership experience to do it either.  The majority of players at that level are well over-rated and with a few more additions of the kind of player we have been signing then we will be fine.  Would love to see us spend a little more on a quality midfielder and it''s no secret that I would love McGugan and a centre half.

I have said for years that there is plenty of talent to pick fromin the lower leagues if you know what you are doing and I think that we are doing it exactloy the right way now!

Cody is simply not good enough though for the highest level.  If his first touch anywhere near matched his pace then it might be a different story.  But first touch in football is a players natural ability and not something which can be coached in to players effectively.
This is why I would sell Cody now and make money on him while we can.  Nothing personal as he has done well for us when given the opportunity.  But we as a club have progressed far too quickly for him and now that we have at least 5 strikers in the pecking order above him (and maybe more) the time is to wish him luck and say goodbye.

We won''t get a better opportunity to make some money on Cody than what we have this summer in my opinion.
[/quote]

Rather than judging Cody on 2 years ago, you should judge him on last season. Cody''s first touch is FAR from woeful as you put it. Ask the Gills fans or their coaches, even better take a look at some of his goals last season and you will see his first touch is quite the opposite of woeful in fact.

30 goals in 75 professional games is pretty incredible for someone with a woeful first touch don''t you think?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="City1st"]"The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be. A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player." It''s not like we have coaches/methods of training etc that have previously developed lower league players is it ? If another club, comes in with a decent offer and the club and Cody agree then fine, if not I see no reason why he should not stay and see if he can crack it in the Premier league. The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League. For some this is not a close season - it''s a corny 1970''s Kung Foo film.[/quote]I agree with what you have to say about the Prem City1st, that is why I have been predicting that we will finish in the top 10 for ages now and that we don''t need Premiership experience to do it either.  The majority of players at that level are well over-rated and with a few more additions of the kind of player we have been signing then we will be fine.  Would love to see us spend a little more on a quality midfielder and it''s no secret that I would love McGugan and a centre half.I have said for years that there is plenty of talent to pick fromin the lower leagues if you know what you are doing and I think that we are doing it exactloy the right way now!Cody is simply not good enough though for the highest level.  If his first touch anywhere near matched his pace then it might be a different story.  But first touch in football is a players natural ability and not something which can be coached in to players effectively.This is why I would sell Cody now and make money on him while we can.  Nothing personal as he has done well for us when given the opportunity.  But we as a club have progressed far too quickly for him and now that we have at least 5 strikers in the pecking order above him (and maybe more) the time is to wish him luck and say goodbye.We won''t get a better opportunity to make some money on Cody than what we have this summer in my opinion.[/quote]

Rather than judging Cody on 2 years ago, you should judge him on last season. Cody''s first touch is FAR from woeful as you put it. Ask the Gills fans or their coaches, even better take a look at some of his goals last season and you will see his first touch is quite the opposite of woeful in fact.

30 goals in 75 professional games is pretty incredible for someone with a woeful first touch don''t you think?

[/quote]Not at all many players who have never even made it in the game could bang in that many in that League.I have played with better footballers than Cody McDonald and I hold to what I say.  THIS GUY WILL NEVER PLAY IN THE PREMIERSHIP, because he quite simply isn''t good enough and never will be.I think the guy on the other thread got it right.  He wanted to stay at Gillingham because even Cody himself views that as his level.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="City1st"]"The lad simply isn''t good enough and never will be. A woeful first touch and a bit of a headless chicken I''m afraid - two things that will never be coached in to a player." It''s not like we have coaches/methods of training etc that have previously developed lower league players is it ? If another club, comes in with a decent offer and the club and Cody agree then fine, if not I see no reason why he should not stay and see if he can crack it in the Premier league. The real headless chickens are those over exciting themselves about the Premier League, regarding it as some kind of mythical wonderland where only the choosen few can exist in it''s rarified atmosphere - and our survival depends solely upon attracting some of these demi-gods to our humble outback in the hope that they can iniatate our novices into the mystic ways of the Premier League. For some this is not a close season - it''s a corny 1970''s Kung Foo film.[/quote]

I agree with what you have to say about the Prem City1st, that is why I have been predicting that we will finish in the top 10 for ages now and that we don''t need Premiership experience to do it either.  The majority of players at that level are well over-rated and with a few more additions of the kind of player we have been signing then we will be fine.  Would love to see us spend a little more on a quality midfielder and it''s no secret that I would love McGugan and a centre half.

I have said for years that there is plenty of talent to pick fromin the lower leagues if you know what you are doing and I think that we are doing it exactloy the right way now!

Cody is simply not good enough though for the highest level.  If his first touch anywhere near matched his pace then it might be a different story.  But first touch in football is a players natural ability and not something which can be coached in to players effectively.
This is why I would sell Cody now and make money on him while we can.  Nothing personal as he has done well for us when given the opportunity.  But we as a club have progressed far too quickly for him and now that we have at least 5 strikers in the pecking order above him (and maybe more) the time is to wish him luck and say goodbye.

We won''t get a better opportunity to make some money on Cody than what we have this summer in my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all many players who have never even made it in the game could bang in that many in that League.

I have played with better footballers than Cody McDonald and I hold to what I say. 

THIS GUY WILL NEVER PLAY IN THE PREMIERSHIP, because he quite simply isn''t good enough and never will be.

I think the guy on the other thread got it right.  He wanted to stay at Gillingham because even Cody himself views that as his level.
[/quote]

24/07/2009, 7:45 PM

Smudger is not online. Last active: 20/06/2011 09:21:05 Smudger

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 02/10/2006
Posts 8,614

Re: Anyone else noticed how quite Smudger and Co are now?

Reply Quote

Clipped Canary wrote:

Just a simple question Smudge. What exactly would make you happy? It''s clear that you obviously do care about the club, however you choose to show it. I''m just curious as to what would make Smudger feel any sort of positivity again?

Far more than a striker who was never good enough to get Forest promoted from this pathetic league and a load of freebies.

In my opinion we have a team full of ok players at this level, but without an injection of 3 or 4 quality individuals we have little chance of challenging for promotion.

The recent signings to me point towards consolidation at this level while the club will continue to struggle financially and go further backwards still the following season.

Let us not forget that 2 or 3 years at this level and we could quite easily be repeating our relegation from the Championship only at one level lower.

Same pattern every year and until there is change at the very top and fans are a little more demanding then nothing will change.

[;)]

haha GREAT COMEBACK Norfolkbroadslim... [:O]The best that I have seen on here for a good while... well done!!!