Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

Should managers be treated more like players?

With Villas-Boas looking like moving to Chelsea for £13.3m it got me thinking. Why is it that players are transferred but managers resign and are then appointed by other clubs?

The 13.3m Chelsea will be paying is a record sum paid to release a manager from their obligations but is that really an appropriate amount? I''d argue that the manager is probably more important than any player in the team (at least they can be). Does it make sense then that the best players in the world move for upwards of 50m yet managers have only just broken the 10m mark?

For us Lambert is far more important than any player we have, in fact probably more important than all of them put together, but if a Chelsea or Man City came in what could we expect as compensation? Probably a few million at best, but nowhere near what he is worth to us. If Snodgrass us worth 8m to Leeds and Wickham is worth over 10, then how much is Lambert really worth? 20, 30, maybe 40 million? I mean he has probably another 20 odd years of management left in him.

Isn''t it about time that manager contracts were structured in such a way that their true value is reflected when they move, and additionally shouldn''t they be expected to stay at their club in the same way that players are unless an acceptable fee is agreed?

Well if you look at the cost to Norwich of getting it wrong with the appointments of Grant, Roeder and Gunn and the potential earnings through getting it so right with Paul Lambert and his assistants, the answer is a massive YES!!!!!!!!

Yes but Lambo does what he doe best  as a manager. And he will be apppropatley paid for it next season. ALOT more than any player.

Doesnt make the man a player, even though he was decent at his prime.

Very good point OP!

I''ve often wondered this myself - and I think we''re currently witnessing a shift in attitudes to the whole managerial valuation thing.

Chelsea may be opening up the market, but surely Porto are the smart ones by inserting a high £ release clause? If we had good sense we''d have PL on something similar, but somehow I doubt it.

The big difference is that clubs very often sack their managers when they are useless like Gunn and Roeder. However how often do clubs sack players? Normally it''s only if they receive a ban for drugs like Chelski and Mutu or get put in prison like West Brom and Lee Hughes.

one of the main things is that as the manager is so important and can make the biggest difference can you really afford to keep them? Bad players you either sell or keep in the reserves, what would you do with a poor manager? Make him head of player recruitment?

Davo

"If we had good sense we''d have PL on something similar, but somehow I doubt it."

Maybe because a contract requires BOTH parties to sign.

A manager can resign as can any employee and will be subject to the conditions of his contract.

A players registration is with a club so unless that contract is released by his club there is little point in ''resigning'', other than risk being sued by the club holding his contract.

"If Snodgrass us worth 8m to Leeds and Wickham is worth over 10"

These are no more than silly stories put out by the media to over excite the not too bright. A player is worth whatever another club will pay, not some idiotic numbers.

Part of that worth will be the cost of his current contract. Otherwise the rest is usually unknown.

"I mean he has probably another 20 odd years of management left in him"

He can walk away at anytime so unlike a player that has no relevance to us other than if he stays for those 20 odd years.

"Isn''t it about time that manager contracts were structured in such a way that their true value is reflected when they move"

Tthat is absurd as it would be far too subjective. A dodgy ''hinvestor'' takes over and the team plummets how much then is the manager worth ? Who is worth more, Oli at Blackpool for managing a relegation team or Moyes for managing a team staying in the Premiership ?