Sign in to follow this  
dhickl

Sentancing

We have to remember that although you might call someone a "fat idiot", that isn''t a crime. If however you preface your insult with a comment about the person''s race or colour, you are making a racist remark. Why else would you refer to the colour or race of the person?

It''s good that we have laws to protect the rights of minorities in this country, whether they be racial minorities, religious minorities or people from the LGBT community. In the case we''re discussing here, the Tweeter simply didn''t want players in the team who were black, whether or not they were good players. If he had used the word "black" instead of the more offensive word he actually used, I think it would still have been an offence, but the inflammatory word he did use was intended to provoke a response (which as we know, backfired on him rather spectacularly). I suspect he would have also been in trouble if he''d said he didn''t want to see any gay players at NCFC, or any Quaker players.

"Back it up then." wiz

before doing so can you state honestly that you have never made any comment regarding ''sending them back'' or outlawing homosexuality

in any shape of form on this forum ?

I don''t think this is any surprise really. Luke has got what he deserved and I think he would be the first to admit this.

People still don''t understand the point though...the term ''Black'' is not racist....e.g. ''My friend Jim is Black''....If you apply a derogitory term to the pre-fix of Black though this is when it becomes racist...even worse if you use the n word.

There were a few on here saying, well its ok because (and I''ll quote/paraphrase) ''Black people use that word to greet each other''

Joanna Grey''s ''suggestion'' of shutting down the internet is ludicrous. Yes, let''s shut down the internet because of one persons ill judged comments.

As far as I''m concerned (and a few others on here) the matter is now closed.

[quote user="City1st"]"Back it up then." wiz before doing so can you state honestly that you have never made any comment regarding ''sending them back'' or outlawing homosexuality in any shape of form on this forum ?[/quote]

As you know 1st, I''ve started many risque, taboo, threads on here, including those you mention, many running into multiple pages.l....but having strong views doesn''t always mean I''m the bogyman you''ve painted me to be.

But always I''ve stated that yes, I am in principle, against imigration. That is not racist, as many imigrants here already say the same! On gay relationships, yes, I would like to see the age of consent raised, but after then, I would stop a bullet in support of gay rights.

As a disabled person myself, I have been called a spastic, flid, cripple and such on here, and yet not one damn mod, poster, plod or club banning order has come to my aid. Yet that taunting is just as illegal as the young man in question actions (Indeed, now wait for the first ''playing the disability cards'' reply)

You went strangly quiet on those taunts back then!

[quote user="Give Peas to a Wizard "]I don''t think this is any surprise really. Luke has got what he deserved and I think he would be the first to admit this.

People still don''t understand the point though...the term ''Black'' is not racist....e.g. ''My friend Jim is Black''....If you apply a derogitory term to the pre-fix of Black though this is when it becomes racist...even worse if you use the n word.

There were a few on here saying, well its ok because (and I''ll quote/paraphrase) ''Black people use that word to greet each other''

Joanna Grey''s ''suggestion'' of shutting down the internet is ludicrous. Yes, let''s shut down the internet because of one persons ill judged comments.

As far as I''m concerned (and a few others on here) the matter is now closed.[/quote]No sh*t

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="City1st"]"Back it up then." wiz before doing so can you state honestly that you have never made any comment regarding ''sending them back'' or outlawing homosexuality in any shape of form on this forum ?[/quote]

As you know 1st, I''ve started many risque, taboo, threads on here, including those you mention, many running into multiple pages.l....but having strong views doesn''t always mean I''m the bogyman you''ve painted me to be.

But always I''ve stated that yes, I am in principle, against imigration. That is not racist, as many imigrants here already say the same! On gay relationships, yes, I would like to see the age of consent raised, but after then, I would stop a bullet in support of gay rights.

As a disabled person myself, I have been called a spastic, flid, cripple and such on here, and yet not one damn mod, poster, plod or club banning order has come to my aid. Yet that taunting is just as illegal as the young man in question actions (Indeed, now wait for the first ''playing the disability cards'' reply)

[/quote]

Soon Wiz everything that is risque or slightly taboo will become a criminal offence.

Look at the guy who got prosecuted because of his rant over the Robin Hood airport in Nottingham on twitter. His defence was that all he was doing was letting off a bit of steam, and not trying to provoke anybody into doing something criminal.

It''s the same with this Donahugue bloke. His comments were dumb but were not made to cause a public disorder.

Yes people need to be protected, and I wouldn''t single out any one group in society for special treatment, everybody should be protected equally.

So forget this nonsence about special rights for gays, lesbians whatever, and treat everybody the same.

I don''t do Facebook or Twitter because you can be sure that the authorities run scans across the traffic looking for terrorist and criminal activitiy. I''m happy for them to do that because it makes the country a safer place. But when it becomes a crime to think in a certain way then it''s a step too far. A spur of the moment rant, an off-the-cuff remark can get you standing in the dock and facing a prison sentence.

It''s gone wat to far already.

Scottish Fans Could Face Jail For Singing "God save the Queen"Daily Record linkThe worst offenders could get five years in jail for sectarian

"offensive behaviour", and "keyboard warriors" who use the internet to

spread hate will face the same punishment.So careful what you say about the Jocks everyone. [:|]

I wonder how many people who have leapt to this guys defence have actually read all of the tweets (there were more than one) in question. Back on the original thread there was a link to a blog where somebody had kept screen grabs of all of them before they were deleted. Read them all and it is clear that this is a long way from the mistake that some are portraying it as. The club have set themselves up for some problems in the future IMO (are they going to ban anybody caught making racist comments outside of the ground? What about other offences?) but what he said was absolutely indefensible.

I fail to see how the club have set themselves up for anything.

People know the limits, if they chose to spread racial hatred then (for want of a better phrase) there is a time and a place for it and Twitter or outside the ground is not it!

[quote user="Yellow Pecker"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote] Soon Wiz everything that is risque or slightly taboo will become a criminal offence. Look at the guy who got prosecuted because of his rant over the Robin Hood airport in Nottingham on twitter. His defence was that all he was doing was letting off a bit of steam, and not trying to provoke anybody into doing something criminal. It''s the same with this Donahugue bloke. His comments were dumb but were not made to cause a public disorder. Yes people need to be protected, and I wouldn''t single out any one group in society for special treatment, everybody should be protected equally. So forget this nonsence about special rights for gays, lesbians whatever, and treat everybody the same. I don''t do Facebook or Twitter because you can be sure that the authorities run scans across the traffic looking for terrorist and criminal activitiy. I''m happy for them to do that because it makes the country a safer place. But when it becomes a crime to think in a certain way then it''s a step too far. A spur of the moment rant, an off-the-cuff remark can get you standing in the dock and facing a prison sentence. It''s gone wat to far already.[/quote]

Spot on YP, its getting more like George Orwells prophecy on here daily now.

So much so, and after a long thought on this last night, I''m packing it in for a while on here, it used to be fun, but sadly thats all gone for me now.

I wish everyone well, but life''s way too short to worry about this PC cr*p anymore.

No-one is asking for "special rights" for minorities - the laws are to give them the rights that white, able-bodied heterosexual men have always enjoyed. Anyone reading this board who doesn''t fall into that category is likely to have experienced some kind of discrimination at some point in their life. I am white, able-bodied and heterosexual, but as a woman, even that hasn''t been enough to protect my rights in some circumstances. We may feel that the laws are sometimes "over-egged", but that is one reason why people wish to come to live here - they know they will have a fighting chance of being treated fairly.

[quote user="Canarino"]No-one is asking for "special rights" for minorities - the laws are to give them the rights that white, able-bodied heterosexual men have always enjoyed. Anyone reading this board who doesn''t fall into that category is likely to have experienced some kind of discrimination at some point in their life. [/quote]And many of those that do fall in that category and read read this board may well have "experienced some kind of discrimination at some point in their life" too. Racial and gender discrimination can work both ways.

[quote user="Canarino"]No-one is asking for "special rights" for minorities - the laws are to give them the rights that white, able-bodied heterosexual men have always enjoyed. Anyone reading this board who doesn''t fall into that category is likely to have experienced some kind of discrimination at some point in their life. I am white, able-bodied and heterosexual, but as a woman, even that hasn''t been enough to protect my rights in some circumstances. We may feel that the laws are sometimes "over-egged", but that is one reason why people wish to come to live here - they know they will have a fighting chance of being treated fairly.[/quote]And there''s a small snap shot of part of the problem.  As long as some people want to stick labels on themselves and others, there''ll be never enough laws to cover every label being thought up.IMO it''s all borne out of the continuous tug of war between the fact we''re all basically the same but desperately trying to be different.

[quote user="Buckethead"]Scottish Fans Could Face Jail For Singing "God save the Queen"Daily Record linkThe worst offenders could get five years in jail for sectarian

"offensive behaviour", and "keyboard warriors" who use the internet to

spread hate will face the same punishment.So careful what you say about the Jocks everyone. [:|][/quote]See this ''aggressive manner'' horseshit.  It was the same horseshit our local police service used to arrest and help convict a binner for snarling at the past local derby.

I would contend that most people don''t label themselves as a matter of course. Other people do that for them, or make assumptions about their competence, honesty or intellect based on deep-seated prejudices or preconceptions of which they themselves might not even be aware. I have done it myself and know that it''s hard to avoid.

That''s why we need laws to protect minorities. It''s not just about blatant discrimination or abuse, it''s also about what goes on under the surface.

[quote user="Canarino"]

I would contend that most people don''t label themselves as a matter of course. Other people do that for them, or make assumptions about their competence, honesty or intellect based on deep-seated prejudices or preconceptions of which they themselves might not even be aware. I have done it myself and know that it''s hard to avoid.

That''s why we need laws to protect minorities. It''s not just about blatant discrimination or abuse, it''s also about what goes on under the surface.

[/quote]That''s my point, they''re only a ''minority'' because they''ve been labeled that. Gingers are a ''minority''.  It''s a basically a national past time to take the piss out of them.  Yet you never see  ''ginger rights'' going on.  That''s because it''s not fashionable and on the current PC agenda.