Sign in to follow this  
Being Jan Kristiansen...

4-4-2 with Leon

I think that Leon has had a tough time playing up front on his own. He has battled really well and caused a bit of havock but there has been no-one near him to take advantage of the situations he creates.

If Dean and Leon both played up front then Leon would get more space and time, thus making him a more productive player.

i think you have a good point there. Ashton and Mckenzie could form a good partnership up there, with Ashton taking the chances and exploiting the spaces that Mckenzie creates with his constant runs and movement.

Wont knock the blokes effort but he is just not good enough. His role is too score goals and he simply misses all the chances (albeit rare) that he is presented with. Got to go with Hucks and Ashton.

Yeah Id agree with that! He doesnt deserve to be dropped because of Ashtons arrival. I think those two up front with Huck cutting in from the ''leftish'' role has goals written all over it. Now we need to shore up the defence....

I would love that to work but Leon really needs to improve his finishing and I don''t think we have anymore time this season for him to do that. 

Leon and Deano up front with Hux on the left, Bentley on the right when he returns plus Damo getting forward from the middle is starting to look rather tasty. Just hope the defence can sort out the type of crap which has gifted goals to so many this season............

Agreed. Case in point was against Liverpool when Leon created a half chance by pressuring Dudek, we didn''t have anyone else to follow it up and they went down the other end and scored.  The lone striker never works and Leon isn''t quite good enough for it anyway(but you can never fault his work ethic).  Strikers should always hunt in pairs and I think now we could see some return for all the effort and build up play.

A word of warning though, don''t expect too much straight away from Deano, it IS a big step-up after all, a couple on his debut would be acceptable!

[quote]Leon and Deano up front with Hux on the left, Bentley on the right when he returns plus Damo getting forward from the middle is starting to look rather tasty. Just hope the defence can sort out the ty...[/quote]

Tumbleweed, the midfield you have posted won''t provide the defence with much protection.  Bentley plays much better in a central position than wide and as discussed before Hux is being double marked out on the left.  Personally I would stick with the 4-5-1 with Ashton up front and two withdrawn strikers slotting into midfield when we are defending.

I agree with a few people''s sentiments on this subject - Leon ain''t good enough.I would go with a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 of (hope this format comes out right!)...

--------------- Green ---------------Edworthy - Fleming - Doherty - Charlton--- Helveg --- Francis --- Mulryne ---Jonson ------- Ashton ------- Huckerby

Much as I love Leon, I don''t think he has the skills to pay the bills.... thats not to say a) he won''t improve, b) he won''t suddenly find a rich vein of form playing along side Ashton, I as much as anyone want to see him do well...

I think a few of you are forgetting about Mr Svensson. I think Svenny has a great touch, and plays some intelligent football.

I don''t think Huckerby, not being the out-and-out striker that Ashton/McKenzie and Svenny are is Ashton''s best partner - keep him on the wing/free role/left where he is best!

The teams that play the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formations have strikers who can hold the ball up but do not score very many goals (Yakubu being the exception). These lone strikers have to do a lot of the donkey work with the rewards being picked up by the late arriving midfielders (Francis, Osman ect).

As we have bought Ashton to score goals we need to play 4-4-2, with Leon getting in there and making things difficult for the defenders.

I believe too that Leon will benefit from Ashton''s arrival as will Hucks.We have to go for away wins too especially Villa and to that end I would go for 4-3-3 (with a defensive midfield) :---------------- Green ---------------Edworthy - Fleming - Doherty - Charlton--- Helveg --- Francis --- Brennan---McKenzie------- Ashton ------- HuckerbyI think Jonson needs a rest to recuperate (the bloke could hardly stand at the end of the west ham game).p.s. and yes banaman I have plagiarised your format.