Sign in to follow this  
ChelmsfordCanary

Cody v Morrison

Guys and Girls,

Obviously you all know we have signed Morrison from Millwall, who was playing non league football going back 2-3 seasons, I am very interested to see how he performs.

Now Cody on the other hand has that natural scoring ability and like Morrison was non league not to many seasons ago. Obviously Cody never got a huge chance at City to show his full potential and goal scoring ability, like say Morrison at Millwall.

So why are we more confortable signing Morison and potentially loaning Cody out?

Is it soley down to Championship experience,

I am excited by Morrison but do think Cody is a prospect in a few years to come and would hate to see him go.

Agreed.  I pointed out on here a few weeks ago - when alot of people were cody bashing - that McDonald, at age 24/25 has a better goal return than both Morison and Holty had at the same age (when both were playing the same or lower levels than Cody did last season).  Therefore there is no reason to write Cody off as someone who can never make the grade (as some people seem to have already done). He could sign for Posh, bang 17 championship goals and be fetching £2m bids from the Prem this time next year just like Morison.. Personally, I really hope that doesn''t happen and we hold on to him.

Ha ha alright fella, behave!

Thats the whole point of a forum to discuss things, he is good enough and maybe not for prem but who knows till he is given a good opportunity by a club in the championship,

Ncfc obviously your such a professional when it comes to knowing whether a player has it or not with a comment like that you are so descriptive, I now feel at ease knowing you have supplied me with the facts that he not good enough, haha. oh dear, do you care to back it up?

Cody will prove equal and probably better than Morison because he has superior pace and heading ability, be it at Norwich or elsewhere IMO. Whether it is at Norwich is down to Lambert but managers obviously favour their own signings, especially when they have invested a few million, so Cody unfortunately will probably not really get a fair chance here.

We should loan him out until Xmas so he can get into his stride in the Championship and then recall him if we need a different option for goals.  Selling him would be a mistake as we would get about 500K at the moment whereas he could be worth 2-3 million by the end of the season if he remains prolific, as I think he will, but we also need to extend his contract or he will go on a Bosman.  

So Cody Mcdonald scores 20 goals at league 2 level where many many players score lots of goals.

Top Scorers

Npower League Two Top Scorers

Team TOT

Donaldson Crewe 28

Lowe Bury 27

McDonald Gillingham 25

Davies Chesterfield 23

Le Fondre Rotherham 23

Miller Crewe 19

Corr Southend 18

Thomas Cheltenham 18

Lester Chesterfield 17

Harrad Northampton 16

M Richards Port Vale 16

Constable Oxford Utd 15

Craddock Oxford Utd 15

Grimes Lincoln City 15

Robinson Torquay 15

All these players scored 15 or more goals however none of these are being linked with a Premier league club which is what we are and where I think we should plan to stay. People say we need to keep Mcdonald incase we go down to the championship because he might be good enough, why? we should plan to stay in the top division in England which is one place where cody shouldn''t be. And I will ask you a question if Cody Mcdonald thinks he is good enough why did he make his feelings known and say he wanted to stay at Gillingham ? Even if he had the slightest chance of playing in the best League in the World surely he would have stayed

Finally a sensible post, could not have said it better myself,

Keep him see if he performs, plus possibility for other options should we need him, potentially his value could increase if he does well and if he does not at championship level, offload him, but give him time.

That way we will not regret potentially letting him go for a quarter of what he might be worth in a season or so, by rushing into a decision....

Ncfc26, it''s not just a matter of goals but how they are scored and the attributes of the players scoring them. Most of those players can probably be ruled out due to chronic lack of pace, mobility, age and being penalty-takers amongst other things.   

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]

Guys and Girls,

Obviously you all know we have signed Morrison from Millwall, who was playing non league football going back 2-3 seasons, I am very interested to see how he performs.

Now Cody on the other hand has that natural scoring ability and like Morrison was non league not to many seasons ago. Obviously Cody never got a huge chance at City to show his full potential and goal scoring ability, like say Morrison at Millwall.

So why are we more confortable signing Morison and potentially loaning Cody out?

Is it soley down to Championship experience,

I am excited by Morrison but do think Cody is a prospect in a few years to come and would hate to see him go.

[/quote]who is Morrison do you mean Morison?

[quote user="paul moy"]Ncfc26, it''s not just a matter of goals but how they are scored and the attributes of the players scoring them. Most of those players can probably be ruled out due to chronic lack of pace, mobility, age and being penalty-takers amongst other things.   [/quote]

didnt answer my question about mcdonald knowing he isnt good enough

The two are surely completely different strikers. Morison is a tall, aggressive striker. Like Holt, he is good both at holding the ball up, and from time to time drifting out wide to draw the centre back out to the wings. I guess that he is cover and a possible long-term replacement for Holt. Has always struck me as a bit quicker than Holt, but without Holty''s canniness.

From what I have seen of him, Cody is not that sort of player, but quick and instinctive, closer to Jackson in style and stature.

Personally, I don''t think Cody will be a Premier League striker, or even a Championship one, and don''t think PL does either. My bet is that he will be offloaded this summer while his stock is still reasonably high.

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]Totally agree with Lamberts choice but just hope we keep hold of him, bags of pace and potential Cody has, anyone else want to throw something in the mix?[/quote]

..and a woeful first touch and a headless chicken to boot.... things that will never be coached out of him.

He''s simply not good enough for the Prem and never will be.  Get over it!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]Totally agree with Lamberts choice but just hope we keep hold of him, bags of pace and potential Cody has, anyone else want to throw something in the mix?[/quote]

..and a woeful first touch and a headless chicken to boot.... things that will never be coached out of him.

He''s simply not good enough for the Prem and never will be.  Get over it!!!

[/quote]

That''s simply untrue. Watch his 25 goals last season and you will see many examples that his first touch is excellent, especially with his head.... LOL. I think you''re still judging him on two seasons ago where I must admit there was room for improvement and he has improved.  

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Cody Mcdonald isnt good enough DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Agreed 26, but they''re all too dumb to see it.

To Dumb, cheers m8,

Well i wont say what i think of you, just think ya being a bit harsh on the lad, whether he makes it or not is out of our hands!

I just think lets capitalise on it if he is good enough lambert will realise it if not he will sell him at the right time for a decent profit,

Need to chill out pal, r u a binner?

[quote user="ChelmsfordCanary"]To Dumb, cheers m8,

Well i wont say what i think of you, just think ya being a bit harsh on the lad, whether he makes it or not is out of our hands!

I just think lets capitalise on it if he is good enough lambert will realise it if not he will sell him at the right time for a decent profit,

Need to chill out pal, r u a binner?[/quote]

Please read my new thread and get over yourself maybe we will alll get on better

without trying to give Paul Moy an unwanted seizure, I want to say my bit on Cody. Its simple.

Much like with Spurs, in the last 3 years, there have been some nailed on first teamers/squad/fringe players at NCFC that haven''t matched the growth of the team. S.Hughes, M. Nelson, M.Gill, OTJ, and Cody, and had much the same problem as Kranjcar, Keane, Palacois, Hutton, O’Hara…I think its what they call progress.

In a perfect world we would have time and space to let someone like Cody grow in our team but as we’ll most likely stay up or go down over the results of 1 or 2 games out of the 38, then we cannot risk one players growth on our future….therefore PL shortened the Risk by bringing in players who have proved just that little bit more in their careers so far….and lets face it, if PL thought Cody was the real deal, he wouldn’t have bought 2 strikers in already…there could be another coming too.

Cody is a great lil’ player and I’m sure he’ll do well in league one or maybe even the championship, but I think the prem has come too soon for him. No one else would have seen our rise coming 2-3 years ago.

…Chrissy could be next…even though that’s even more harsh, it could happen.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Cody will prove equal and probably better than Morison because he has superior pace and heading ability, be it at Norwich or elsewhere IMO. Whether it is at Norwich is down to Lambert but managers obviously favour their own signings, especially when they have invested a few million, so Cody unfortunately will probably not really get a fair chance here.

We should loan him out until Xmas so he can get into his stride in the Championship and then recall him if we need a different option for goals.  Selling him would be a mistake as we would get about 500K at the moment whereas he could be worth 2-3 million by the end of the season if he remains prolific, as I think he will, but we also need to extend his contract or he will go on a Bosman.  

[/quote]Once again I ask, how can Cody possibly be better in the air than Morrison, who is a 6 foot tall target man. Also, once again, Morrison is no slow-poke, he has pace about him and this, along with his longer stride, means Cody may not win as convincingly as you think in a battle of speed.However, I do agree with you statements regarding Cody''s future. A loan for half a season at higher level to judge his potential. If he''s any good, contract extension and competition if he''s not sell him to the highest bidder,

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]Once again I ask, how can Cody possibly be better in the air than Morrison, who is a 6 foot tall target man. Also, once again, Morrison is no slow-poke, he has pace about him and this, along with his longer stride, means Cody may not win as convincingly as you think in a battle of speed.However, I do agree with you statements regarding Cody''s future. A loan for half a season at higher level to judge his potential. If he''s any good, contract extension and competition if he''s not sell him to the highest bidder,[/quote]Standing height does not always indicate leaping height. My son used to play for a team where the 5''6" full back could easily outjump the 6''4" centre back. Mind you, he was the worst footballer I''ve ever seen.In fact I don''t think Grant can actually jump that high, but his presence is often enough. Peter Crouch is another one. I think Faustino Asprilla performed some of the most prodigious leaps I''ve witnessed.When referring to ''pace'', people often confuse speed with acceleration. Doherty was allegedly the quickest player at NCFC over 100m., but few thought that relevant on the pitch. I suspect Cody''s acceleration is better, which is usually more important.Overall, though, I think Morison is the safer bet in the Premiership.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Gareth"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]Once again I ask, how can Cody possibly be better in the air than Morrison, who is a 6 foot tall target man. Also, once again, Morrison is no slow-poke, he has pace about him and this, along with his longer stride, means Cody may not win as convincingly as you think in a battle of speed.However, I do agree with you statements regarding Cody''s future. A loan for half a season at higher level to judge his potential. If he''s any good, contract extension and competition if he''s not sell him to the highest bidder,[/quote]Standing height does not always indicate leaping height. My son used to play for a team where the 5''6" full back could easily outjump the 6''4" centre back. Mind you, he was the worst footballer I''ve ever seen.In fact I don''t think Grant can actually jump that high, but his presence is often enough. Peter Crouch is another one. I think Faustino Asprilla performed some of the most prodigious leaps I''ve witnessed.When referring to ''pace'', people often confuse speed with acceleration. Doherty was allegedly the quickest player at NCFC over 100m., but few thought that relevant on the pitch. I suspect Cody''s acceleration is better, which is usually more important.Overall, though, I think Morison is the safer bet in the Premiership.[/quote]My point about Morrison is that he is better with his head than Cody. Cody might be able to outleap Morrison, just as Jackson often outleaps taller players to win the ball in the air. Paul''s point about Cody being better with his head is what annoyed me. I fail to see how Cody, who many say is an off the shoulder striker, can compete in terms of things like accuracy of headers with Morrison who is a target man.As for Pace... well it''s not really how much you got but how effectively you use it. Morrison is far from slow and whilst Cody would probably out-accelerate Morrison, over a certain distance I believe the difference between the two would be negligible. I would also point out that Morrison was running past Championship centre backs who are often faster or better positionally than the League 2 centre backs that Cody came across.

Although Cody may not be good enough for the Premiership, I wonder how people would have viewed him if he had taken the place of Chris Martin in league one and mirrored his achievements (ie. scored 20 odd goals). Some people are so quick to criticise Cody, yet so protective over Martin and believe he will make some impact on the PL.

Indeed, it is jumping-height that counts, not standing-height, and Cody has earned himself a reputation for outjumping much bigger defenders. He is lethal in front of goal with his head having scored 10 last season by that method. Heading goals is not just about jumping, it''s also about finding space and beating a running defender to the ball with pace and if you watch Cody''s goals you will see that he has an aptitude for finding that space and exploiting it with pace and heading ability, an attribute that Martin and Jackson sadly do not have. Thus, I rate Cody''s finishing ability higher than either of them and that''s why we should not sell him.  

It doesnt matter what player is from where the player should be judged on what they can do not if they come from a mile way or a different planet. If cody and chris martin swapped places then I would be saying what I am saying now but with Mcdonald swapping with Martin but the fact is he hasnt so it is a stupid statement in the 1st place

I think you will find Jackson is a quality header of the ball a lot better than Cody so please Paul leave it

[quote user="paul moy"]Indeed, it is jumping-height that counts, not standing-height, and Cody has earned himself a reputation for outjumping much bigger defenders. He is lethal in front of goal with his head having scored 10 last season by that method. Heading goals is not just about jumping, it''s also about finding space and beating a running defender to the ball with pace and if you watch Cody''s goals you will see that he has an aptitude for finding that space and exploiting it with pace and heading ability, an attribute that Martin and Jackson sadly do not have. Thus, I rate Cody''s finishing ability higher than either of them and that''s why we should not sell him.  [/quote]League 2 defenders are not as good positionally as any defenders Norwich will come across this season. Cody may be a good finisher with his head (and, I will admit, ten headed goals for someone of his height is impressive.) but as you mentioned finding space is an important aspect of his heading ability, you must know that the space that was so available at a League 2 level will not be there at a Premier League level. Premier League defenders are also, on average, faster than League 2 defenders. League 1 defenders are horrendously slow, Jamie Cureton seemed like a speed demon last season, so League 2 defenders would be even slower and therefore more suspeceptible to pace.Also the ''jumping heght counts not standing height'' line is stupid. There a plenty of players regrded as better in the air than Cody who can''t jump for s**t. One played for with him last season, Akinfenwa, who''s knees would''ve probably collapsed if he tried to jump. Another example is Grant Holt who, as one poster already pointed out, is not that good a jumper but is far,far superior with his head than Cody. Just because he''s scored alot of goals with his head does not mean he is better with it than Morrison, because other things apart from goals define how good you are with your head (accuracy, ditrabution etc.)

Some people are so quick to criticise Cody, yet so protective over Martin and believe he will make some impact on the PL.

====================

Chris Martin scored as many goals as Cody did, but the former did this at a higher level. Will cody actually score 20+ in league 1?

Chris Martin contributed greatly to our eventual promotion from League 1 and therefore deserves to be ahead of Cody in the pecking order.

Chris Martin has been with us longer than Cody. Not a spectacular reason but it is true.

At the moment we can actually make a profit on Cody, which we probably won''t do with Martin. Let''s cash in while he has a year left on his contract as I doubt very much he''ll ever sign a new or extended one.