Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Cody to Oldham?

I was referring to your last comment rather than the validity of the story

Cody Mac will be very much a target for League 1 and League 2 clubs and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him go.  Whether he could do a job for us in the prem has been done to death elsewhere but I think it may be worth loaning him out for one more year just in case we do get relegated

There was a news report saying the exact same thing 2-3 weeks back. These rumours are doing full circles lately6th June http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic/57182/latics-target-hitman-cody Rumours before that go back to the end of May

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Cody Mac will be very much a target for League 1 and League 2 clubs and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him go.  Whether he could do a job for us in the prem has been done to death elsewhere but I think it may be worth loaning him out for one more year just in case we do get relegated

[/quote]

He has one year left on his contract. He was barely in Lambert''s plans for League 1 let alone in the Premiership. I say sell him now before he walks away on a free next summer.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[/quote]

Why? thats my honest opinion BC, he''s not good enough for the Championship, let alone the best league in the world!

Some tragic f*cks on here need to take their medicine if they believe otherwise.

Wheres Oldhams training ground, has he been seen there ?

Still the money should help keep us out of adminstration

.... however until Holt is back from his three month injury we should keep him here.

[quote user="City1st"]Wheres Oldhams training ground, has he been seen there ? Still the money should help keep us out of adminstration .... however until Holt is back from his three month injury we should keep him here.[/quote]

Did someone squeak?

This could be the biggest mistake since Sheffield United passed up the chance to sign Diego Maradona [:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(]

[:D][;)]

Cody should go IMO. He''s had a good season at League 2 level but we need to aim higher.

[quote user="CambsCanary"]"one of the papers reckon it could be a swap deal, oldham got any decent players"

Kieran Lee (youngish right back) is handy, I believe.[/quote]Possibly - former Man Utd reserve team captain, still only 22, can play right or left back, was their player of the season this year. According to Wiki he signed a one-year deal in March, so he''s obviously hedging his bets and wanting to move back up the leagues, and wouldn''t cost much with only a year left on his contract. Decent backup for CM and RDL?

Well Wiz doesn''t rate him so he is doomed!

The same Wiz who liked old Jamie lad who was so unbelievably prolific he failed to match crap Cody.

I hate to say this Wiz but you are wrong. Cody has shown that he is good enough for League One possibly the lower reaches of the Championship.

It''s very easy to say he doesn''t ''look'' like premiership material but then how many of the Blackpool team would you have said look like premiership material before they were promoted? Yet many of them have more than made a mark on the premiership.

Sometimes you find the odd player that will thrive in the most unlikely of circumstances and in some cases the opposite is also true.

[quote user="chicken"]Well Wiz doesn''t rate him so he is doomed!

The same Wiz who liked old Jamie lad who was so unbelievably prolific he failed to match crap Cody.

I hate to say this Wiz but you are wrong. Cody has shown that he is good enough for League One possibly the lower reaches of the Championship.

It''s very easy to say he doesn''t ''look'' like premiership material but then how many of the Blackpool team would you have said look like premiership material before they were promoted? Yet many of them have more than made a mark on the premiership.

Sometimes you find the odd player that will thrive in the most unlikely of circumstances and in some cases the opposite is also true.[/quote]Not wanting to look like a ''Cody hater'' but how exactly has he shown he is good enough for League One? He has shown he can score goals in League Two but he has yet to have a full season playing in league one. Also very few of the Blackpool team proved themselves good enough for the Premiership. Charlie Adam, DJ Campbell, David Vaughn, thats it as far as I can see.

I think 25 goals in 41 games proves you are better than the level you are playing at.

I base that on the fact that both Holt and Jackson scored that number of goals at that level. I am not saying that he is as good as them - he is a very different player to Holt for starters, but that you cannot easily dismiss a player that has scored that many goals in that number of games.

Then there is another way I look at it. If you were say a team with little to spend in the Championship and need to sign a player that may cut it but is a bit of a gamble you would be looking for a player like Cody in the lower leagues, especially if you knew you were going to be in the bottom half of the table.

When we were battling relegation a couple of seasons ago how many would have been happy for the club to have taken a gamble on someone like Cody? I think quite a few people would have been happy. I seem to remember at the time we were linked to Andy Bishop and others who had scored less.

It''s all about perspective. It''s very easy to sit and say he is not good enough for the premiership - but to say that he only good enough for league 2 when he has scored enough to justify himself a solid move to league 1 or even a gamble by a club in the Champs is harsh.

[quote user="chicken"]I think 25 goals in 41 games proves you are better than the level you are playing at.

I base that on the fact that both Holt and Jackson scored that number of goals at that level. I am not saying that he is as good as them - he is a very different player to Holt for starters, but that you cannot easily dismiss a player that has scored that many goals in that number of games.

Then there is another way I look at it. If you were say a team with little to spend in the Championship and need to sign a player that may cut it but is a bit of a gamble you would be looking for a player like Cody in the lower leagues, especially if you knew you were going to be in the bottom half of the table.

When we were battling relegation a couple of seasons ago how many would have been happy for the club to have taken a gamble on someone like Cody? I think quite a few people would have been happy. I seem to remember at the time we were linked to Andy Bishop and others who had scored less.

It''s all about perspective. It''s very easy to sit and say he is not good enough for the premiership - but to say that he only good enough for league 2 when he has scored enough to justify himself a solid move to league 1 or even a gamble by a club in the Champs is harsh.[/quote]I''d agree with that. I''m more arguing over semantics, scoring lots in League Two certainly earns you the chance to have a crack at a higher level. I do however believe that no ammount of goals at a lower level proves that you can score at a higher level. Earnshaw for me is a prime example- scores loads at Championship level but just cant do it at Prem level, although obviously that gap is somewhat larger.

[quote user="chicken"]Well Wiz doesn''t rate him so he is doomed!

Sometimes you find the odd player that will thrive in the most unlikely of circumstances and in some cases the opposite is also true.[/quote]I would actually say that Cureton has proved that he can bang goals in for fun at League One level time and time again.  He has also been leading scorer in the Championship for one season and had a few not so impressive seasons at that level too.Cody so far has proven himself in one season only at League 2 level and has still yet to prove himself in either League One or the Championship.  Why would any Premiership team touch him with a bargepole at this moment in time, unless they were looking for an immediate return to the Championship???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="chicken"]Well Wiz doesn''t rate him so he is doomed! The same Wiz who liked old Jamie lad who was so unbelievably prolific he failed to match crap Cody. I hate to say this Wiz but you are wrong. Cody has shown that he is good enough for League One possibly the lower reaches of the Championship. It''s very easy to say he doesn''t ''look'' like premiership material but then how many of the Blackpool team would you have said look like premiership material before they were promoted? Yet many of them have more than made a mark on the premiership. Sometimes you find the odd player that will thrive in the most unlikely of circumstances and in some cases the opposite is also true.[/quote]

I would actually say that Cureton has proved that he can bang goals in for fun at League One level time and time again.  He has also been leading scorer in the Championship for one season and had a few not so impressive seasons at that level too.

Cody so far has proven himself in one season only at League 2 level and has still yet to prove himself in either League One or the Championship.  Why would any Premiership team touch him with a bargepole at this moment in time, unless they were looking for an immediate return to the Championship???
[/quote]

So Chris Martin has proven himself with his 3 Championship goals last season and therefore warrants a Prem place thus ensuring Norwich will stay up ?  There does seem to be an element of favouritism and hypocrisy here. How about having an open mind and giving all of our players a chance.

I kind of hope that Cody retires from football this summer and goes off to join a Bulgarian circus troupe, so we can all stop fighting over him and get on with the rest of our lives.

"Possibly - former Man Utd reserve team captain, still only 22, can play right or left back, was their player of the season this year. According to Wiki he signed a one-year deal in March, so he''s obviously hedging his bets and wanting to move back up the leagues, and wouldn''t cost much with only a year left on his contract. Decent backup for CM and RDL?

I agree, Coelho, this Kieran Lee could be the one if indeed Oldham are looking at a swap. Certainly sounds like a Lambert player in terms of background (Fox was a previous Manure reserve team captain) and age. Might make good cover for full back.

[quote user="chicken"]Smudge I never said he was premierdhip matefial. Read my.post again.[/quote]I never said that you did.  I simply stated that Cureton has a much better record than Cody.Chris Martin has a better record than Cody too.Cureton is knocking on a bit though, so I think that Cody would be able to perform in League One to a reasonable level.