Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

The new breed of manager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2011/06/is_villas-boas_a_mini-me_mouri.htmlDoes this sound familiar?:Villas-Boas saw at first hand just how important it was to gain the respect of key players in the dressing-room. (i.e. make Grant Holt Captain!)

Porto goalkeeper Helton: "He looks after us, he gives us tranquillity and reminds us

what we''re capable of. He''s a friend of the team and a friend to every

player. He''s one of the best coaches I''ve worked with and allows us to

play with lots of freedom."

Porto Striker Radamel Falcao: "Villas-Boas has made 24 players at

Porto feel relevant and important - and that is not easy."

Former Academica player Markus

Berger:

"He emphasises creating a big spirit in the group so that everybody

works together and everybody will push for the team. He has a great

personality and you want to work with him."

It sounds like every good manager.

Get the players on side and get them motivated - but the biggest thing about Villas-Boas is he is a brilliant tactician, regardless of what everyone is saying about his abilities to manage players his main strength is in his ability to exploit other teams weaknesses and create a winning system.

Will be interesting to see how it goes for him at Chelsea, if he can win around the dressing room there he is truely a genius.

It promises to be an interesting experiment and one which if succesful may spell the beginning of the end for managers of the old school, those who maybe ruled with a rod of iron. He is only 33 and is thus very close in age to his players and also makes him about half the age of many of his rival bosses. He is actually the same age as Lampard and Drogba, does this mean that their time is running short.Do we know whether he will be responsible for recruiting Players?, or will he just be the Coach in charge of preparing the squad?. Is Guus Hiddink waiting in the wings to be appointed as Director of Football,  just in case the job is too big for Villas-Boas. The fact that Villas-Boas has signed a three year deal made me smile, how many Bosses stay at the Bridge for three years before getting the sack ? If he does, he will be more than just "The special one ", he would be "The one and only".

Not quite Bethnal, it sounds like every outstanding manager. Of which there are very few. It sounds like Mourinho, Ferguson, Guardiola. But not many others. Not even O''Neill managed to keep all his players happy and some have questioned his tactical abilities. The point being that it also sounds like Lambert, underscoring our belief that he is set to join this class of manager in the near future.

It''s funny how Porto have produced two extremely high calibre managers who have moved to Chelski. They clearly understand the importance of great man management.

It''s also funny how Glenn Roeder was the complete antithesis to this management type.

I was going to add exactly that re Roeder, Jonzey, but resisted the temptation to start another Roeder rant. Have you any idea how many therapy sessions it has taken to get me to control my Roeder hatred? Hm? Now look what you''ve done...!

[quote user="a1canary"]Not quite Bethnal, it sounds like every outstanding manager. Of which there are very few. It sounds like Mourinho, Ferguson, Guardiola. But not many others. Not even O''Neill managed to keep all his players happy and some have questioned his tactical abilities.
The point being that it also sounds like Lambert, underscoring our belief that he is set to join this class of manager in the near future.
[/quote]

No manager keeps all their players happy. Mourinho will have his favourites and players that don''t fit into his style will be moved on (Diarra and Benzema at Real for example), Ferguson is famous for falling out with players Stam, Beckham, Ronaldo, Tevez, van Nistlerooy, McGrath, Ince etc etc and Guardiola couldn''t get Ibra to work well for him.

Lambert has yet to prove if he will go on to the levels of Ferguson et al. A season in the top flight will start to reveal a lot more about his abilities. Other managers have achieved as much as him without going on to greatness, or even maintaining a successful top flight career.

[quote user="a1canary"]I was going to add exactly that re Roeder, Jonzey, but resisted the temptation to start another Roeder rant. Have you any idea how many therapy sessions it has taken to get me to control my Roeder hatred? Hm? Now look what you''ve done...!
[/quote]

Ha ha, sorry. His ugly, chinless face is burned into my psyche as a reminder to always treat friends and colleagues with repsect, and not like sh!t on my shoe. I have read recently he has joined Villa''s scouting staff, relegation beckons.

You really are argumentative aren''t you Bethnal? Where''s your doppleganger Bethanl Green Yellow, he is so much pleasanter to discuss things with! "Lambert has yet to prove if he will go on to the levels of Ferguson"No sh*t Sherlock. Of course he hasn''t proved that, how could he have done. The words i used were "underscoring our belief that..." he will go on to be as good as those managers. I believe that totally and i think most Norwich fans do because we have seen first hand how he operates. If anyone doesn''t think that or would prefer to just sit on the fence and wait and see how good he becomes, then that''s fine. Now, are there any more nits you wish to pick or hairs you wish to split or can you leave it now?