Sign in to follow this  
Mervmeister

Fraser Forster

Apologies if another thread similar somewhere, but sure can''t see one. I read in The Sun today along with a few websites that Leeds are bidding 1.5m for Fraser Forster. Surely that is a bargain signing and someone we should be going for if anywhere near that price?

He would have been my number one target. He has so much potential, and he''s a far better keeper then Ruddy ''in my opinion'' I may add

[quote user="L4cole"]He would have been my number one target. He has so much potential, and he''s a far better keeper then Ruddy ''in my opinion'' I may add[/quote]

And exactly what do you base your ''opinion'' on? One good season in League 1?

John Ruddy is a Premier League goalkeeper. Fraser Forster isnt.

John Ruddy is a Premier League goalkeeper - are you joking!!!Did you watch last season!!

DDD,

And the last time that Celtic had six guranteed group phase CL games was....??? As opposed to 38 games in the strongest and most wathced league in the world.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]Celtic should win that race, why would he play championship when he can play champions league[/quote]

Cos Celtic are in the Europa league.....

[quote user="L4cole"]John Ruddy is a Premier League goalkeeper - are you joking!!!Did you watch last season!![/quote]

Did YOU watch last season? Just to remind you we finished second with John Ruddy in goal!!! So why do you slate him? Same old Shite different day.

Always been impressed by the lad and his potential. If he is going at that price and i would be surprised then he is the logical fit to support/challenge Ruddy

We did finish second down to a great back four last year, with an average keep. People must clearly see it!!

I believe that he would choose Premiership over the Scottish crap, and to take him from under the noses of Leeds would make my day.

[quote user="L4cole"]We did finish second down to a great back four last year, with an average keep. People must clearly see it!! [/quote]I disagree...I think our back 4 is the weakest link of the team. The full backs are great going forward but Ward and Whitbread make silly mistakes and Barnett is ok.Ruddy didn''t have the greatest start to the season which he held his hands up for - it was afterall his first professional football in some time, but I thought he got right back into it. He has a few flaws like everyone else, and still made 1 or 2 errors like for the Swansea 3rd goal, but Whitbread was far more at fault for that for putting Ruddy into a position where he had to come sprinting out of his box.If there is one position where the Actim Index statistics can actually be a bit trusted it''s goalkeeper, and the fact that Ruddy rose steadily through the ranks to become the 2nd best keeper in the league tells a story. It tells that despite the defence letting a few things go past them, he over performed and had a very good ratio of catches, shots to saves, etc. His kicking is good, and he speaks to the team, and of course runs the length of the pitch to celebrate a goal which I love to see in a keeper

I agree - I believe that Ruddy has actually proved himself at a higher level that Forster - because the Championship is better than SPL - the only game I saw Fraser play was against Rangers and he got sent off (familiar story).  I am not saying Forster isn''t a good keeper, in fact one-on-one he was excellent, but he has effectively been playing L1 level for two years now.

Ruddy made some mistakes, yes, but he was committed, passionate and also kept us in many games which seems to go unnoticed.  He also held his hands up when he made a mistake and seemed determined to improve.  Forster would still be a good signing in some ways, but signing him would stunt the development of Rudd and Steer, as we would have 4 good keepers under the age of 24!  I would prefer us to sign someone for a season with loads of experience as cover for Ruddy - Hahnemann springs to mind!

People slating the defence need to consider a few things.

Firstly we finished the season with three centre-backs of which only one was at the club prior to last summer and he was out injured until Christmas.

Then you have to take into account the most often deployed formation which is built for swift counter attacks and putting pressure on the opposition - but with a lack of width.

Then you need to consider the games that were played with either Nelson or Askou in the team and see how many of those we conceded goals in.

Defensively we were much better after Christmas, when the back four had time to settle and gel.

Ruddy also got better as he grew alongside the defensive unit.

It''s almost a miracle how Lambert is able to bring in wholesale change to a side and still get enough out of them to win games.

New players last summer/season: Barnett, Ruddy, Ward, Tierney - that is four out of five defensive positions. That says it all to me.

think we have moved on from fraser , thanks for what he did but ruddy is our no1 now . debut season & promotion !!! = big john , big john , big bad john . john ruddy no1

[quote user="L4cole"]John Ruddy is a Premier League goalkeeper - are you joking!!!Did you watch last season!![/quote]

yawn

Lest you forget we finished 2nd and got promoted to the Premier League.

Teams with rubbish goalkeepers DO NOT get promotion.

You, like all the other Ruddy bashers, base your entire opinion on the handful of mistakes he made and completely ignore the positives.

Hoolahan missed penalties, Fox gave the ball away once and Cardiff scored, Holt missed plenty of sitters, yet you dont slate them as not being good enough for the Premiership do you.

[quote user="L4cole"]He would have been my number one target. He has so much potential, and he''s a far better keeper then Ruddy ''in my opinion'' I may add[/quote]I Agree on that one, let''s try and get FF back...but it''s not going to happen I''m afraid.

[quote user="chicken"]

Then you need to consider the games that were played with either Nelson or Askou in the team and see how many of those we conceded goals in.

[/quote]

Nelson was the best centre back out of them all according to the stat''s which I have worked out which averaged out at a goal conceeded per game he played. However these may of not been the "so tough" games but I recollect Nelson playing against QPR.

Askou only played in two games, but in both games the team conceeded two goals.

Ruddy certainly isn''t a bad keeper. Premier League standard?? I''m not sure yet. But nothing wrong with having Forster in as well to challenge for that position. Where is the negative in that? And if JR happens to not perform as well as we hope he will, Fraser would then take the reigns. Surely a good thing for the club?

FF is no better than Ruddy, both are young and both have strengths and weaknesses. FF cannot distribute a ball for toffee lest we not forget...did anyone see him kick the year he was here, awful, but his shot stopping was second to none. Ruddy commands his area, is a good shot stopper and his distribution is excellent.If we are going to get another keeper we need experience, unflashy solid keeper.  I would rather see Steer or Rudd given a shout than bring in another early twenty''s keeper.

I''m happy with Ruddy, and would probably try to find a cheap old experienced keeper for backup so Rudd can go and get some games. But if FF is available for 1.5m then I''d bring him in. I don''t really believe in keepers needing competition but 1.5m for him is a steal.

Theres absolutly no reason to swap Ruddy for Fraser. Fraser as proven less than Ruddy as, so we dont need him for No.1

Fraser wouldnt come to play second fiddle.

Remember Paul Lambert has previously described Fraser Forster as ''World Class!''

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer_league_1_and_2/10/01/24/manual_112439.html

Given PL rates him so highly it would hardly be a surprise to see Fraser Forster back at Norwich.

John Ruddy grew into the role and eventually did pretty well last season, but we need two senior keepers for the Premiership. Fraser has experienced some big-game atmospheres - particularly in the Old Firm derbies - that vital experience would serve him really well in the Premiership. In 44 games for Celtic he kept 24 clean sheets - that sounds pretty useful form to me!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Remember Paul Lambert has previously described Fraser Forster as ''World Class!''

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer_league_1_and_2/10/01/24/manual_112439.html

Given PL rates him so highly it would hardly be a surprise to see Fraser Forster back at Norwich.

John Ruddy grew into the role and eventually did pretty well last season, but we need two senior keepers for the Premiership. Fraser has experienced some big-game atmospheres - particularly in the Old Firm derbies - that vital experience would serve him really well in the Premiership. In 44 games for Celtic he kept 24 clean sheets - that sounds pretty useful form to me!

[/quote]

I would expect that to be the case though considering he played for one of the best teams in an extreemly poor league.

Personally I think that Forster may marginally be better than Ruddy. Whether he is £Xmillions of a transfer budget better is PL''s shout, dependant on his opinion obv.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]

In a league that is a worse standard than the Chmapionship!

at that price he is worth bringing and let the best man win - for me ruddy being the current shirt holder and performing in the champs rather than league one for us does it for me; but we do need a decent back up given rudds inexperience.

Whether either ruddy or forster would accept second billing i dont know - buts it would be good for the club to have two decent keepers and loan rudd out for experience; and we have decent cover for injuries or discovering the other is out of depth or has a crisis of confidence...