Sign in to follow this  
WymCanary

Potential Move for McDonald

Just browsing over the transfer clockwatch on Sky Sports and this popped up...
12:41
News: 
Oldham Athletic boss Paul Dickov has confirmed he has spoken to strike duo Cody McDonald and Clayton Donaldson.

McDonald impressed on loan at Gillingham last season, while Donaldson

banged in the goals for Crewe and is weighing up his options, with

Chesterfield rumoured to be favourites for his signature.
If Oldham have already spoken with Cody it implies that a deal could very well be on the cards.http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/0,23710,14896,00.html - Link to the clockwatch for those interested.

Doesn''t Cody only have a year left on his contract?  Now would be a good time to sell him coming off a 25 goal season at Gills if he doesn''t have a future with us.

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Please let this be true[/quote]

What is your beef with Cody? All you do is slate him!

Even if he goes we won''t here the end of him. If Jackson or Morison or whoever misses a chance it''ll be "I bet Cody would''ve put that away. Should''ve given him a run when we had him"

For me I''m not fussed if he stays or goes.

"News:

Oldham Athletic boss Paul Dickov has confirmed he has spoken to strike duo Cody McDonald ...... "

"If Oldham have already spoken with Cody "

So although you are happy to post up that Dickov HAS spoken to Cody - you don''t believe it to be certain ie Sky could be lying

In that case why post up something you believe to be a lie ?

[quote user="Ncfc26"]He isnt a premier league player the sooner he goes the sooner people get over it[/quote]None of our players are. Until August.Nobody really knows who will make the grade & who won''t. There will be many surprises in store.Cody came here straight from non- league. Scored a great goal against Cardiff on his debut, but his lack of experience soon showed up in subsequent games. Once Grant & Chris Martin got going he - rightly - didn''t get much of a look in.After being injured for the first few games, he settled down to score a lot of goals at Gillingham. Now some of those were down to poor defending, but equally many of his efforts looked capable of beating better defences. How much better I wouldn''t like to say.Whatever, I would say he''s a better player than the one that arrived here. I think he could now do well in the Championship. As have the rest of the team.I simply don''t understand the "just get rid" attitude of some people. It doesn''t make sense on either a footballing or financial level - unless he won''t extend his contract. Assuming he will, loan him out to a Champ side & watch his value appreciate. It''ll give everyone a much better idea of his potential - including Cody - & make a decision next year.

A player knows what they are capable of Cody is obviously an ambitious young man but even he knows he cannot cut it at Ncfc get over it people

If Cody can''t cut it then probably Jackson, Morison and Martin won''t, but they all deserve a chance.

[quote user="City1st"]"News:

Oldham Athletic boss Paul Dickov has confirmed he has spoken to strike duo Cody McDonald ...... "

"If Oldham have already spoken with Cody "

So although you are happy to post up that Dickov HAS spoken to Cody - you don''t believe it to be certain ie Sky could be lying

In that case why post up something you believe to be a lie ?[/quote]Well it''s not as if Sky posted a direct quote from Dickov is it.  The rumour has appeared seemingly from no where therefore there is obviously going to be skepticism about the accuracy of anything posted without a direct quote to back up the statement.And as for my reason of posting this surely thats obvious?  A rumour about a Norwich player on a Norwich forum.  Who''d of thought it?

[quote user="Ncfc26"]A player knows what they are capable of Cody is obviously an ambitious young man but even he knows he cannot cut it at Ncfc get over it people[/quote]

I have noted that you have been an anti Cody player for some time - but what I didn''t realise was that you have the inside track on him! As you say "even he knows he cannot cut it". That''s it chaps - it''s all over - D.McN & PL - you need to speak to this chap regarding the capabilities of this player - and in fact, as he has such an inside track, he may have an inside track to other players / targets., Who needs Mystic Meg?

Ncfc26 - he may or may not be good enough, however you need to put into practice some of your advice - to whit "GET OVER IT!"

[quote user="paul moy"]If Cody can''t cut it then probably Jackson, Morison and Martin won''t, but they all deserve a chance.[/quote]

How does that work Paul? Cody is only proven at League Two level, Martin is proven at League One level and Jackson and Morison are both proven at Championship level.

"A rumour about a Norwich player "

''Oldham Athletic boss Paul Dickov has confirmed he has spoken to strike duo Cody McDonald ''

That is not a rumour. That is a statement of fact.

Speculating about, what you have posted as fact, is hardly rumour either.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="paul moy"]If Cody can''t cut it then probably Jackson, Morison and Martin won''t, but they all deserve a chance.[/quote] How does that work Paul? Cody is only proven at League Two level, Martin is proven at League One level and Jackson and Morison are both proven at Championship level.[/quote]

... because Cody has superior pace (with possible exception of Jackson) and better heading ability than all of the others, while also being a better finisher than all of them IMO.  He also supplements his ability with hard work and a great attitude. Cody is only unproven at Championship level because he has not had a fair chance as yet, but I don''t think he''ll have any problems. Most others on here disagree and I accept that, but that does not make me wrong until the guy has had a proper chance and failed.

[quote user="Ncfc26"]He isnt a premier league player the sooner he goes the sooner people get over it[/quote]

You''re entitled to your opinion of course, however please be aware that you come across as smug, arrogant, condescending and ''holier than thou'' in the extreme. Are you planning some kind of personal hate campaign against this well-proven goal scorer?

Cody may or may not be suitable for the Premiership. Personally I''d love to see him given the chance as he could easily turn out to be the next DJ Campbell.

One thing''s for sure; Cody certainly has more natural ability than the majority of us forum posters!

@basingstoke canary

why would he come out and say he wanted to stay at gillingham if he backed himself at premier league level

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="Ncfc26"]He isnt a premier league player the sooner he goes the sooner people get over it[/quote]

You''re entitled to your opinion of course, however please be aware that you come across as smug, arrogant, condescending and ''holier than thou'' in the extreme. Are you planning some kind of personal hate campaign against this well-proven goal scorer?

Cody may or may not be suitable for the Premiership. Personally I''d love to see him given the chance as he could easily turn out to be the next DJ Campbell.

One thing''s for sure; Cody certainly has more natural ability than the majority of us forum posters!

[/quote]

I apologise but I really feel that people need to see beyond Cody because as soon as a rumour crops up about him leaving people are in uproar. I would love for PL to keep him and Cody to prove me wrong and score the goal that keeps us up but I really cant see it.

[quote user="Ncfc26" A player knows what they are capable of Cody is obviously an ambitious young man but even he knows he cannot cut it at Ncfc get over it people quote]

You know, you really are an annoying little .......... Right now Cody is a Norwich City player so what exactly should we be "getting over"?

[quote user="Ncfc26"]@basingstoke canary why would he come out and say he wanted to stay at gillingham if he backed himself at premier league level[/quote]

Ncfc26 - in much the same way as Pacheco and Lansbury made all the right sort of noises when they were at Norwich - one doesn''t burn one''s bridges. After all the praise that was heaped on him from Gills supporters, as well as picking up the League 2 Fans player of the league award, it would be a bit churlish to say he never wanted to go back!

Lansbury and pacheco both stated their desire to play for Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. Mcdonald hasn''t

[quote user="City1st"]"A rumour about a Norwich player "

''Oldham Athletic boss Paul Dickov has confirmed he has spoken to strike duo Cody McDonald ''

That is not a rumour. That is a statement of fact.

Speculating about, what you have posted as fact, is hardly rumour either.[/quote] Deary me.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="paul moy"]If Cody can''t cut it then probably Jackson, Morison and Martin won''t, but they all deserve a chance.[/quote] How does that work Paul? Cody is only proven at League Two level, Martin is proven at League One level and Jackson and Morison are both proven at Championship level.[/quote]

... because Cody has superior pace (with possible exception of Jackson) and better heading ability than all of the others, while also being a better finisher than all of them IMO.  He also supplements his ability with hard work and a great attitude. Cody is only unproven at Championship level because he has not had a fair chance as yet, but I don''t think he''ll have any problems. Most others on here disagree and I accept that, but that does not make me wrong until the guy has had a proper chance and failed.

[/quote]Couple of points:1. He''s better with his head than 6 ft'' tall Steven Morrison who has a reputation as a target man? 2.Morrison''s pretty damned fast as well and, with his longer stride, will probably be able to keep up with Cody at the very least.3. Only English fans are obssesed with work rate. The main question is not how hard he will work, but how good he is. In your opinion, he''s good enough but the fact he will work hard is not a good enough reason in my book.I''m not a Cody hater, nor am I a fan. It seems this is a case of wanting what you can''t have and Norwich fans need to get over it. He does, however deserve a chance at a higher level, but I doubt it will be with Norwich. Maybe it''s time for him to leave. Cody got a good few years wages and (in the last season) a profile as a good League 2 and probably good League 1 striker. It''s not fair on the player to keep loaning him out, especially as he has very little chance of breaking into the first team.  

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Lansbury and pacheco both stated their desire to play for Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. Mcdonald hasn''t[/quote]

Where has he said that he didn''t want to play for Norwich???

However, you are 100,000% correct when Lansbury and Pacheco both stated their desire to play for Arsenal & Liverpool respectively, HOWEVER, they ALSO said that they would love to play for Norwich - it''s known as diplomacy - not peeing off prospective as well as current employers. It really isn''t rocket science you know - I don''t know of many players, who, after a loan move have said "I''ll never want to play for them again" or conversely "I''ll never want to play for my parent club again"

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]hahaha Coy is better in the air than Holt, Morrison and Vaughan and a better finisher than all our strikers.Now I''ve heard everything!

I think when Mcdonald says I want to sign for gillingham then this means he doesn''t want to play for norwich dont you think?

[quote user="Ncfc26"]I think when Mcdonald says I want to sign for gillingham then this means he doesn''t want to play for norwich dont you think?[/quote]

I think that means he wants to play football. Which he won''t/probably won''t get for us at the moment.