Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

When did we last lose money on a 'big money signing'?

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

Neil Emblem £500k

Matthew Rush £1m

[/quote]

I have to admit I had to Google Matthew Rush! Apparently he was Martin O''Neil''s first signing at 350k but ruptured his knee in his first game and eventually got released after only ever playing three games.

I totally agree on Emblem though, I remember being quite excited when we signed him from Wolves. But again, suffered from knee problems although I can''t remember if he was already injured when he signed? Wikipedia reckons he is currently manager of Waitakere Utd!

Strihavka has to be the ultimate waste of money. Again with the help of Wikipedia I''m told since leaving us in 2007 he''s only scored 11 goals :/ He cost us a million euros allegedly, and was released on a free after getting one goal. Great bit of business!!

Mostly though I think we''ve done pretty well out of transfer fees over the decades, plenty of big fees for the likes of Sutton, Bellamy, Ashton, Fox etc

[/quote]

Surely we will have lost nothing on either Emblem or Rush. Correct me if I am wrong, but I always assumed the Club had insurance to cover the loss of players through career finishing injuries.

Tbh I have no idea how the whole insurance issue works. If the players still plays on at a lower level would a policy pay out? Or do you need to be totally crocked like Dean Ashton?

As for Keith O''Neill, surely any manager would have bitten the hand off anyone offering £5million?! Didn''t he go for £1million in the end to Boro?

"Strihavka has to be the ultimate waste of money. ...... He cost us a million euros allegedly"

no, that''s just silly

"Strihavka - who played just 11 minutes for Roeder in that same 3-0 loss in the west country - came to City from Czech side Banik Ostrava, where he had been leading scorer last season, on a four-year deal, the full details of which were released by the club yesterday.

The 24-year-old Czech joined on an initial one-year contract with the option for a further three years if City wished to retain his services. That option applied to both fee and contract, with City paying £240,000 for the first year of the deal. A further sum in the region of £1.1m would have been payable this summer if City had chosen to exercise their option for a further three years - EDP24 12/01/08

[quote user="City1st"]"Strihavka has to be the ultimate waste of money. ...... He cost us a million euros allegedly" no, that''s just silly "Strihavka - who played just 11 minutes for Roeder in that same 3-0 loss in the west country - came to City from Czech side Banik Ostrava, where he had been leading scorer last season, on a four-year deal, the full details of which were released by the club yesterday. The 24-year-old Czech joined on an initial one-year contract with the option for a further three years if City wished to retain his services. That option applied to both fee and contract, with City paying £240,000 for the first year of the deal. A further sum in the region of £1.1m would have been payable this summer if City had chosen to exercise their option for a further three years - EDP24 12/01/08[/quote]

To be fair I did say allegedly as I was referring to wikipedia. I am happy to see he cost no where near this amount, although a quarter of a million plus wages for a player who didn''t do anything is still a lot of money. He''s been a massive failure at a lower level since leaving us, although in retrospect he was worth a punt at the time considering he had just had quite a good season at his previous club, albeit his only ever decent season. This is the gamble all managers take when signing a prospective talent I suppose.