Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

When did we last lose money on a 'big money signing'?

Well, come on, let''s be having you - best supporters in the world; I''m thinking, are you?

Let''s see now. I remember Drazen Muzinic, captain of Yugoslavia,  and ............that Beckford chap.......and....

Hmmm...

Where are you.....!!!! Come onnnnnnn...............

OTBC

I recall a player we got from Man Utd. Alex Notman was it? Cost around £250k.

Had to retire age 23 after an Ipswich player took a free kick and the ball struck his ankle.

Nasty!

Brellier was free!

I''d say the last "big money" player we lost money on was Earnie. Paid 2.75m sold for 3m with wages and agents fees etc.

We should have easily made money from Earnie

If you look at players where we have paid over £500k, the only one I can think of would be Cureton.  Generally, when we spend the money we often recoup it. 

As someone mentioned, it is the ''Frees'' (where we probably pay a big signing on fee), and the players costing below £500k that seem to go for nothing.

[quote user="Buckethead"]We lost out on £5,250,000 from Wolves for Ade Akinbiyi by selling him to Gillingham for £250k.

[/quote]

Not really, particularly seeing as he went to Bristol City prior to joining Wolves anyway.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

David Marshall, Strihavka...

[/quote]

I am sure we made a profit when Marshall was sold to Cardiff.

Emblem for me, he had such promise, but never shined and was rightfully given the boot! Injured 3/4 of the time he was here too!

What about David Nielson, played well on loan, then played distinctively average once signed.

Anyone remember Sibierski? I know he wasn''t on a permanent deal, but still cost us an absolute tonne!!

Strange question.  You ask about the last and then start talking about Muzinic.  He was sined over 30 years ago and if he was truly the last then I would be very happy indeed.

If you really mean the last then surely that was David Strihavka?

The bottom line is that over the years we have rarely lost money on ''big money signings (over 500,000 say). We have far more often made a profit.

Thus, we should not be too nervous on the financial front if Lambert decides to anchor his team with two proven Prem quality (''big money'') players - say a holding midfielder and a central defender - as our record over the past 50 years with moving on such signings when strategically necessary is pretty top notch.

In fact - remembering 2004-05 - it might well be the wise thing to do......

OTBC

"If you really mean the last then surely that was David Strihavka? "

eh !

How do you make that out ?

Jonson cost a £1M....Sheron is a good shout - signed for £800K and sold for about £150K plus Keith Scott!!!!Strihavka although Roeder never gave him a chance when he came in.Cureton £800K....shocking!Made some great profits though on the likes of Woods, Watson, Bruce, Phelan, Drinkell, Fleck, Ward plus the youth team products like Sutton, Gordon, Fox, Eadie, Bellamy, Johnson & Green who I guess brought in excess of £20M!

Ashton. Signed for £4m, sold for £7m, but we lost a hell of a lot more on not having him.

Cureton £800K....shocking!

If you are dim enough to believe that was how much was paid as a fee, on top of his contract

Cureton and Sheron are definitely up there.

And throughout the club''s entire history, Deehan and Grant probably have the worst record of spunking our money on dodgy transfers.

Depends what you define as a big signing. Personally I would definite it as a fee of over £500k, given our dealings since being relegated from the Premier League in 2005. I would say a bad signing was one where we either  overpaid, their performances were average/poor or we failed to recoup a lot of the money for them. On that basis I would say:

Jamie Cureton (£1 million Colchester), David Marshall (£1 million Celtic), Lee Croft (£600 Man City), Andy Hughes (£500k Reading).

[quote user="Jacko"]

Depends what you define as a big signing. Personally I would definite it as a fee of over £500k, given our dealings since being relegated from the Premier League in 2005. I would say a bad signing was one where we either  overpaid, their performances were average/poor or we failed to recoup a lot of the money for them. On that basis I would say:

Jamie Cureton (£1 million Colchester), David Marshall (£1 million Celtic), Lee Croft (£600 Man City), Andy Hughes (£500k Reading).

[/quote]

Agree entirely with this Jacko except for Hughes.

He always gave 100% and I believe we got a fee for him from Leeds. Whatever was Grant thinking of paying so much (not £1m) for JC?

[quote user="City1st"]"If you really mean the last then surely that was David Strihavka? " eh ! How do you make that out ?[/quote]

As I remember it and I''m not alone as others have mentioned him, we signed Dave Striker for several hundred thousand.  A substantial payment was made in advance and he came for what was revealed to have been a loan.  We sent him back and lost all we had paid.

Since him, I can''t remember anyone flopping for a big fee.  Hence, I think he is the most recent.

And that''s how I make that out.  Ok?

Afterwards the club stated that he was on a contract for £240,000 for the first year with an option for another 2/3 years which would have cost £1m in total. No fee was ever claimed or stated.

In January we paid up that year contract so he cost us £240,000. A quarter of a million was a lot of money to waste, I will grant you, but it was not the urban myth people now seen to swallow.

Unfortunately some folk still confuse taking over a players curent contract with a transfer fee.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

Neil Emblem £500k

Matthew Rush £1m

[/quote]

I have to admit I had to Google Matthew Rush! Apparently he was Martin O''Neil''s first signing at 350k but ruptured his knee in his first game and eventually got released after only ever playing three games.

I totally agree on Emblem though, I remember being quite excited when we signed him from Wolves. But again, suffered from knee problems although I can''t remember if he was already injured when he signed? Wikipedia reckons he is currently manager of Waitakere Utd!

Strihavka has to be the ultimate waste of money. Again with the help of Wikipedia I''m told since leaving us in 2007 he''s only scored 11 goals :/ He cost us a million euros allegedly, and was released on a free after getting one goal. Great bit of business!!

Mostly though I think we''ve done pretty well out of transfer fees over the decades, plenty of big fees for the likes of Sutton, Bellamy, Ashton, Fox etc