Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

My Weekly Monday Cryptic Riddle #2

Last week - Alex Notman.

This week, riddle me this.....

Began his career as a trainee citizen before heading off to the land of stale bacon.  Flirted with toffee but returned to the pigsty before joining our beloved club.  Not the most popular of players, he moved on post millennium where he did like to be beside the seaside for a while before hanging up his boots.  (Though not his drinking boots - allegedly.)

That is all.  Good luck and may the force be with you.  That is not a clue.

Give thanks and praise to the board.

Ok, here''s a teaser with apologies to BBB for highjacking the thread

What connects City

- getting knocked out of the FA Cup sixth round in 1983

- being relegated in 2005

- playing a friendly 2011

- last game before Paul Lamberts took over

- first game in the Premier League

easier clues to follow

Not the answer, I know. Just some thoughts on your clues.BrightonFulham? Or the season?-YeovilArsenal 2-4

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]Mike Milligan[/quote]

Very impressive work, Mister Muzinic. Congratulations, you are this week''s cryptic cryptographer. [Y]

I would say all of the games you have mentioned had 6 goals in them.6-0 with Fulham, 4-2 With Arsenal, I believe it was 4-2 with Wycombe too?

[quote user="City1st"]Ok, here''s a teaser with apologies to BBB for highjacking the thread What connects City - getting knocked out of the FA Cup sixth round in 1983 - being relegated in 2005 - playing a friendly 2011 - last game before Paul Lamberts took over - first game in the Premier League easier clues to follow[/quote]

---

That was the 1-1 draw at Exeter, but that doesn''t leave me any less stumped than anyone else!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="City1st"]Ok, here''s a teaser with apologies to BBB for highjacking the thread What connects City - getting knocked out of the FA Cup sixth round in 1983 - being relegated in 2005 - playing a friendly 2011 - last game before Paul Lamberts took over - first game in the Premier League easier clues to follow[/quote]

---

That was the 1-1 draw at Exeter, but that doesn''t leave me any less stumped than anyone else!

[/quote]Lambert had been appointed but wasnt technically in charge for the Brentford game so isnt the last game before he ''took over''?

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

---

[/quote]

Lambert had been appointed but wasnt technically in charge for the Brentford game so isnt the last game before he ''took over''?
[/quote]

---

Persnickety, that may be quite right, or not, depending on City1st''s definition of  his phrase  "took over"! Lambert had taken over as manager (ie been appointed) for the Brentford game (making Exeter the last before...) but was only "in charge" - ie selecting the team - for the Wycombe game (making Brentford the last before...)

I think we need City1st to help us all out here...

Meanwhile, some extraneous facts about these games. I seem to recall Jimmy Case scored the only goal in the Brighton FA Cup defeat. The Arsenal 4-2 win was, I think, the first game with the new back-pass rule, which led to the fourth goal, Tony Adams being caught in two minds.

- being relegated in 2005 - Fulham

- playing a friendly 2011 - Crystal Palace

- last game before Paul Lamberts took over - Brentford

- first game in the Premier League - Arsenal

London Clubs was the only connection i got but then B&HA aren''t.

I''m assuming its a player whose played for the clubs concerned. I''ve just spent the last half hour on Flown from the nest - actually amazing some of the players that have been through Carrow Road both on trial and through academy that I didn''t know about. Ivar Ingamarrsson for one.

Still haven''t got answer.

Relegated in 2005 must be either or both of Southampton and Palace - unless its a relegation in a different division.

It''s not a player connection

Ian Butterworth resigned from Norwich City 19th August 2009

Friendly, although it''s an away game in 2011 Stringer ''saw us home '' ... (just) in ''73

Bit more than that, but you are heading in the right direction, so

What also links City to

promotion celebrations twice

and 1973, 1975 and 1985

(two seperate clues)

two easy clues to follow which will give it away)

Hell, City 1st!! Could you be any more obscure??

They''re all odd numbers???? I dunno. Something to do with league cup finals??

[quote user="City1st"]Bit more than that, but you are heading in the right direction, so What also links City to promotion celebrations twice and 1973, 1975 and 1985 (two seperate clues) two easy clues to follow which will give it away)[/quote]

-

Well, we have twice gained promotion at Portsmouth. And those dates are for our three Wembley League Cup final appeances. But I can''t link those answers to the original questions! I suspect the answer is Marcus Evans but am too dense to see why...[;)]

[quote user="City1st"]try venues[/quote]

---

I had thought of venues, because they are all southern grounds. Brighton, Fulham, Palace, Exeter or Brentford, depending, and Arsenal. And Portsmouth and Wembley with the new clues. But that didn''t seem specific enough. I did wonder about grounds that are no longer used, but that only applies to Brighton and Arsenal, and Wembley in a sense. So discarded the idea. Rightly or wrongly?!

It''s grounds

Brentford, as Butterworth announced his resignation the day after the Brentford game - even though Lambert had been appointed before

It''s something that is a link to the grounds that we have had some our triumphs and tragedies at

Is it London grounds? Were Brighton ground sharing at Crystal Palace or somewhere at the time? My guess is that all these thing happened at London grounds.

Is the answer "Kayleigh" by Marillion?"

If the question is what song was kept from the number 1 spot in the year City won the League Cup by a famous football song then yes, it is the answer.