Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

That there bloke who designed the current crest in the early '70s

Should imo take the club to court to seek royalties.  Based on the argument that the competition he entered and won was purely for a redesign for the club crest. Not to design a commercial logo.  By my reckoning he''s owed £1000s

Quite straight forward intut.  The bloke that designed the current badge/crest did so on the basis that was all the competition was for.  With this brewery malarky the club has stated in effect the badge/crest is more than that, it''s a commercial logo.The argument I''m making is. The bloke didn''t at that time hand over his work for it to be milked in this fashion.  Therefore he''s entitle to his cut.

Spangles totally agree with you mate. Great post mate.

Im sure along the line at some point in time the bloke that designed the crest signed an agreement which meant that the club could use the logo like this for marketing and a corporate image without having to pay him / give him anything on top of what they had already given him.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]What Lincs just said.

If the club have any small print that says they own the commercial rights to the badge upon him handing the design over to them then he hasn''t got a case.[/quote]He could well have done.  I''m far from an expert, but this commercial use lark was probably a million miles away from what it was 40 odd years ago.  And the club''s total ownership of it might not be as watertight as one thinks. (Nothing is ever 100%)Slightly different I know, there''s been cases of ex band members of famous groups such as Oasis successfully sue for their ''fair share'' even though they''ve been paid in the past.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]What Lincs just said.

If the club have any small print that says they own the commercial rights to the badge upon him handing the design over to them then he hasn''t got a case.[/quote]He could well have done.  I''m far from an expert, but this commercial use lark was probably a million miles away from what it was 40 odd years ago.  And the club''s total ownership of it might not be as watertight as one thinks. (Nothing is ever 100%)Slightly different I know, there''s been cases of ex band members of famous groups such as Oasis successfully sue for their ''fair share'' even though they''ve been paid in the past.