Sign in to follow this  
NorthernYella

Football...the Future?

A few years ago it was discussed on Radio Five, that the Bolton Chairman, who seems to wield quite a lot of influence within the footballing world, wanted to revolutionise the structure of football, he wanted there to be a Premiership One and a Premiership Two with perhaps no or limited chances of promotion up from the lower leagues. See also this article:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/24/bolton-wanderers-premier-leagueThis would obviously be disastrous for a lot of the lower league teams which we played only just recently in League One and would forever change the face of English football. Although his ideas have not yet been taken up, what with the financial pressures many clubs are experiencing, and Prem teams/Top Champ clubs (Lambert and Norwich being an exception) unwilling to invest in lower league talent, the future of teams with a fan base of less than 15,000 look unpromising at best.Personally I would be happy for the Premiership to take ownership of both our National team, professional league structure and grass routes football if it genuienly meant that money could be shared around more fairly, but in a money orientated and success driven industry like football we all know this is very unlikely to happen. What is more likely if lower league clubs fall on hard times is probably some kind of Prem sister programe, where for example Bury and/or Oldham could come under the banner of say a Manchester City who would become a starting place for their young talent who would then play in the lower leagues (possible Semi-Professional by then).Up here in the North where a Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan season ticket are far cheaper than an Oldham season ticket, you can see how some clubs stand no chance, esp in the case of Oldham where the Council seem to have decided it would be better for the area if they moved out of the Town (probably because they think the football club divides the community, as very few of the Asian population visit the football ground).Clearly, the league structure of clubs in twenty years will be very different, and I expect our club to be just fine, but some of the great aspects of our club game, like the gaint killing or little clubs holding their own, i.e Wimbledon in the Prem, could be soon lost forever to the history books.

Sorry about this post being submitted twice I had real problems posting this and then site went down, couldn''t access it on Internet or by phone to see if it had posted, page went blank or didn''t load so it appeared it hadn''t been sent.