Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

User Names

One of the disadvantages of this site is that users can change name and be untraceable.   We all get used to other users and know who''s opinion we respect, who we like, who we regard as idoits and who are trustworthy.   Now I have no problem with people changing user names.  I have never felt the need but others do.  What does bother me is when a new name appears with several thousand posts and I have no idea who that user was so loser my ability to assess their posts.

An example is that an unpleasant poster called Joanna Grey appeared from nowhere and mystified many until identified as the previous equally unpleasant Raymond Getard.   A new poster called Spangles has appeared who has over 6,000 posts. Who was that?

Some posters do put their previous names on their posts and all credit to them.

What I would like to see on the next iteration of this board is a facility either in the identity section or by clicking on the user name that gives access to all previous user names so we all know who everyone used to be

Anyone agree?

Couldn''t care less what people call themselves. If I think someone is talking sense I will say so. Similarly ..........

yeah I agree....a possible solution could be review old posts and find where someone has quoted somebody else.

So for instance go back to a long thread say a month ago and on there the username will show (sorry Spangles using you as an example) ''SPANGLES'' but on the quotations on the next post down it should show the user''s old name.

I have had a few myself and put my previous usernames in my signature below - that also helps :)

I used to post under the name of canary_girl, but someone else took that name so thought I''d just use my own name with the stars as it''s unlikely to be used by anyone else.

I obviously didn''t make it sufficently clear that I am not complaining about users changing names.   Entirely your business.

All I am suggesting is a way of idenfying pevious user names if you want to.

[quote user="Give Peas to a Wizard "]I can see two squares next to your name Alysha not two stars :)[/quote]

really? lol, they are certainly stars on my screen [:)]

[quote user="ms miggins"]No one noticed that i''m now Ms Miggins :([/quote]

Belated congrats on your nuptials :-) Miss... ?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Triangles on mine Alysha.

[/quote]Great stellated dodecahedrons on mine, Alysha.

"No doubt you wouldn''t be saying that to anyone face to face in a pub."

It''s always a pub isn''t it?

What''s wrong with Sainsburys or at work, the petrol station or the Post Office?

I don''t drink so I''m never going to see him in the pub am I?

Honesty.....

[quote user="I Say Its Ruddy Wizard"]"No doubt you wouldn''t be saying that to anyone face to face in a pub."

It''s always a pub isn''t it?

What''s wrong with Sainsburys or at work, the petrol station or the Post Office?

I don''t drink so I''m never going to see him in the pub am I?

Honesty.....[/quote]Relax ISIRW............they do let you in even if you only buy a soft drink. It''s really not compulsory to get legless in one.

[quote user="SPANGLES"]No, it''s only a message board. Just label me unpleasant and we''re all happy again.[:)]
[/quote]

Why not make it easy for everyone and just change your username to Unpleasant poster.  Job done!

I agree with you Cambridge Canary, it really irritates me when posters do this. I always seem to find myself trawling back on the search function to find what their previous name was.

I wouldn''t mind if it said in the signature bar what they were previously called. Some people use it like a way of cleansing and wiping the slate clean yet carry on in the same fashion as they did under the previous username.

Not alone then after all!!!

Thanks guys.

Incidentally Spangles, I did not refer to you as unpleasant.  I never had any issues with Turin.  I was just rasing the question of who you used to be.

☆alysha☆ your name does come up with squares instead of stars if you log into the mobile site.

[quote user="Harry"]☆alysha☆ your name does come up with squares instead of stars if you log into the mobile site.
[/quote]

Argh right, thanks