Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

04/05 and 11/12 City Prem XI . . .

So seeing as how we''ve got posts with the best and worst topics . . . how about this one:

You can pick a starting XI plus 7 subs by combining players from both the 04/05 season and this season. Obviously as we haven''t got the season underway yet, we will use last season''s performances to judge our current players, including new signings. Any formation and combination you want. Let''s see what everyone comes up with . . .

Here''s mine . . .

Green

R. Martin Barnett Ward Drury

Fox

Bentley Huckerby

Hoolahan

Ashton Holt

Subs: Ruddy, Whitbread, Tierney, Crofts, Bennett, Vaughan, Morison

Now I know that in reality, Ashton and Holt are too similar and probably wouldn''t be the best strike partnership, but I just couldn''t leave either of them out!! And the choice of Drury at left back is based on the 04/05 season, not now obviously!! Tough one to leave Tierney out though!

Ok your turn!! :-)

I can''t believe Bentley has got in both the teams above - it is mental!

For what it is worth

Green

R Martin    Fleming   Whitbread   Tierney

Francis

Crofts  Hoolahan

Huckerby

Holt  Ashton

Subs - Ruddy, Edworthy, Drury, Surman, Safri, Svensson, Drury. 

Probably I''d go for:----------------Green----------------------------------------------------Martin---Fleming--Whitbread--Drury------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Crofts---Francis-----------------------------------------------Bentley------------------Huckerby----------------Hoolahan-----------------------------------------------------------------Ashton--------------------------------------------------Obviously pretty hard to leave out Holt, but I''m not sure how he and Ashton would co-exist, especially as playing both of those two and Huckerby would possibly be a little bit offensive.It was also tough finding two centre backs, not much to choose from if truth be told.

Huckerby has to be included for me. He is the best player I have seen in my time following Norwich. So I would essentially build the team with him in mind. The issue we had with Hucks was the massive hole he left behind him which often left Drury exposed. For that reason I would opt to play a 4-2-3-1 system.

I feel that Ashton would be the player best suited to play the lone striker role so Holt is desperately unlucky to miss out. I have picked the back 4 which I believe offers athleticism against pacey Premiership forwards. Fox''s distribution is magnificent so I couldn''t really split him and Francis. Again I wanted power and athleticism in the engine room so Francis got the nod. Bennett is a controversial choice not having seen much of him but I felt Bentley was pretty woeful during his time at the club so I felt Bennett was the only player who would offer balance on the right hand side of this system as well having offering a goal/assist threat.

-------------------------------------------Green------------------------------------------

Martin (c)----------------Barnett--------------------Whitbread----------------Drury (04/05)

---------------------------Crofts---------------------Francis------------------------------

Bennett-------------------------------Hoolahan-------------------------Huckerby---------

----------------------------------------Ashton----------------------------------------------

For me from the two squads we have a decent mid table side - apart from the back line which is lacking except for green & drury...

Its hard - the 10/11 side is far more effective as a team than as individuals; given the differing formations getting a team that fits is tough but my preferred selection would be

controversially my team is

Green

Helveg Shackell Barnett Drury

Fox Safri Francis

Bentley Huckerby

Ashton

Subs

Ruddy RMartin Fleming Crofts Hoolahan Svensson Holt

Surman & Lansbury being unlucky to miss out

It''s difficult. Obviously, the whole thing is hypothetical as there is no guarantee that the players from the two teams would gel, and because of that, I will assume the manager is Lambert to try and get the best from them ;)My pics:---------------------Green------------------------R.Martin-----Fleming------Barnett-------Drury-------------------------Fox-------------------------------------Francis---------------Hucks----------------------------Young Wesley----------------------------------Ashton-------Holt-------------------As good as Shackell was, he didn''t really hit form straight away. Fleming would go in for the experience.Tierney has been amazing this second half of the season, but for synergy, Drury and Hucks have to go together.Wes and Hucks in the same team would have been something had they ever overlapped, but I guess it just wansn''t to be.Some people have said that Deano and Holty are the same sort of player. I don''t really see that. I think they would have worked well together tbh. Wouldn''t that team have looked fearsome in the Championship?!

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"]So seeing as how we''ve got posts with the best and worst topics . . . how about this one:

You can pick a starting XI plus 7 subs by combining players from both the 04/05 season and this season. Obviously as we haven''t got the season underway yet, we will use last season''s performances to judge our current players, including new signings. Any formation and combination you want. Let''s see what everyone comes up with . . .

Here''s mine . . .

Green

Fox

Bentley Huckerby

Hoolahan

Ashton Holt

Now I know that in reality, Ashton and Holt are too similar and probably wouldn''t be the best strike partnership, but I just couldn''t leave either of them out!! And the choice of Drury at left back is based on the 04/05 season, not now obviously!! Tough one to leave Tierney out though!

Ok your turn!! :-)[/quote]GreenRMartin Barnett Whitbread Drury05Hoolahan Bentley Crofts HuckerbyAshton VaughanSUBS: Holt/Ruddy/Bennett/Fleming/Tierney/Jackson/Fox

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"]So seeing as how we''ve got posts with the best and worst topics . . . how about this one:

Here''s mine . . .

Green

Fox

Bentley Huckerby

Hoolahan

Ashton Holt

Ok your turn!! :-)[/quote]GreenRMartin Barnett Whitbread Drury05Hoolahan Bentley Crofts HuckerbyAshton VaughanSUBS: Holt/Ruddy/Bennett/Fleming/Tierney/Jackson/Fox

Green

Martin Bennett Fleming Drury

Fox

Bennett Huckerby

Hoolahan

Ashton Holt

Funny how many seem to have a selective memory when it comes to Bentley. He had a very purple patch over the winter from what i recall until he got injured in a cup match at West Ham, (I think in January) and was never quite the same again all season.

GreenR. Martin        Barnett           Ward            Tierney                            Safri      Fox        Francis           Hoolahan           Huckerby                                 Ashton

Subs - Ruddy, Helveg, Whitbread, Bentley, Crofts, Holt, Jackson

Full backs pushed right up just as we do now with Fox and Safri providing defensive cover and able to start our attacks with accurate long and short range passing. Plenty of goals in that front four with Holty and Jackson ready to step off the bench if needed.Top half finish with that team [:P]