Sign in to follow this  
NorthernYella

Our Great County

Since there is not much going on in the world of Norwich

City at the minute and Lambert seems to be on holiday I thought I''d start a

Norfolk post. As an exile living in Greater Manchester I was

wondering what people''s view of the great County are, what do they like, what

do they dislike?

I lived on the Norfolk Suffolk border during my childhood, but the right side of the Waveney Valley! And although loved watching Norwich (esp Home games against Bayern Munich in 93-94 and Aston Villa 92-93 when we were going for the Prem Title, John Polsten scoring just after becoming a father!) and visiting

the City of Norwich, I now love having Motorways right on

my doorstop, having the Trafford Centre and Peak/Lake District nearby and being

able to get to Norwich away matches a lot easier too! I also love the

atmosphere of being at away grounds, and the best, friendly, most adventurous

and loyal Norwich fans (in my humble opinion) turn up at games on a cold, windy

afternoon in Sheffield or Burnley too! (These are massive journeys from

Norfolk, big respect, esp if you went to Carlisle when we were in League One!)

My question is, if you live in Norfolk, what do you love about being in the

County, and what do you hate? If you are an exile like me what do you love

about where you live and what do you miss the most?

I most miss Saturday''s at Carrow Road, going for a drink around Riverside and

then the whole match day! I also miss the weather and the great beaches and

coastline in our County too, great shame one of my favourite beaches in the region, Lowestoft is on the wrong

side of the river!

Sorry for the crap at the top of the post, here it is without it this time!Since there is not much going on in the world of Norwich

City at the minute and Lambert seems to be on holiday I thought I''d start a

Norfolk post. As an exile living in Greater Manchester I was

wondering what people''s view of the great County are, what do they like, what

do they dislike?

I lived on the Norfolk Suffolk border during my childhood, but the right

side of the Waveney Valley! And although loved watching Norwich (esp

Home games against Bayern Munich in 93-94 and Aston Villa 92-93 when we

were going for the Prem Title, John Polsten scoring just after becoming a

father!) and visiting

the City of Norwich, I now love having Motorways right on

my doorstop, having the Trafford Centre and Peak/Lake District nearby

and being

able to get to Norwich away matches a lot easier too! I also love the

atmosphere of being at away grounds, and the best, friendly, most

adventurous

and loyal Norwich fans (in my humble opinion) turn up at games on a

cold, windy

afternoon in Sheffield or Burnley too! (These are massive journeys from

Norfolk, big respect, esp if you went to Carlisle when we were in League

One!)

My question is, if you live in Norfolk, what do you love about being in the

County, and what do you hate? If you are an exile like me what do you love

about where you live and what do you miss the most?

I most miss Saturday''s at Carrow Road, going for a drink around Riverside and

then the whole match day! I also miss the weather and the great beaches and

coastline in our County too, great shame one of my favourite beaches in the region, Lowestoft is on the wrong

side of the river!

The things i love about Norfolk.First,the never ending skies,you can keep your hills and mountians.They are nice but they just get in the way of those beautiful skies.The accent,if your''e ever abroad and you here that accent it turns your head and makes you smile.The fish and chips.

The one thing I hate is the bloody long journeys.

I love the magic mushrooms produced in the new forest.

I moved to the North West in the mid-80’s. Loved the people, loved the motorways, loved Chinatown in Manchester and the nightclubs. Football is on a different level up there; I found women in particular had a much higher awareness of what was going on. As a kid, my second team was always Manchester Utd, so I went to Old Trafford quite a bit. I also loved rattling up to Lake Windermere in an hour or so on a Sunday, I learned to windsurf in Southport just so I could handle Hickling Broad when I returned!

However, I missed the calmness of Norfolk. My family was (is) here and I was doing 45,000 miles per year in the process. Not good for your fitness! I’d been promoted at work and continued to do well so I engineered a move back. 6 months later my 22 year-old wife ran off with a Norfolk farmer twice her age. When returning to the nice people of Norfolk that wasn’t quite what I had in mind!

Looking back, the biggest thing I missed was….the beautifully tended roundabouts when you get near Norwich. I’ve travelled a lot in the UK and seen most major cities – not many come near to our overall cleanliness and presentation do they?

Norfolk has many, many good points - the coastline, some beautiful countryside, excellent pubs, great beer, and a pretty decent climate overall.

However, as someone who moved back from Manchester just shy of a year ago, I have to say that I miss the North-West much more than I ever missed this part of the country.  I could go into immense detail as to why, but will probably only end up offending the more sensitive.

Norfolk is nice.

Big skies; rolling fields of wheat and barley; clean air; water everywhere; fish and chips sitting on the quay at Wells; Norwich market; Brancaster beach; no motorways; full English breakfast at that little cafe in Wymondham-the name escapes me!; great pubs and walks; Carra''; Peddars Way; the cliffs at Hunny; the Holt to Sheringham railway; "Lifeboat" at Thornham; the quieter areas in the Broads...and on and on and on....

[quote user="Better Wizard"]I love the magic mushrooms produced in the new forest.[/quote]

And I love the ponies I get from the new forest

Yes, Norfolk is ok, but there are a lot of lovely places on our small island. To name just some: The Lake District, Peak District, Devon, Somerset, Cornwall, The Malvern hills, Wales, Scotland, Northumberland and Durham are all areas of outstanding natural beauty and knock Norfolk into a cocked hat for scenery. For lovely cities I give you: Bath, York, Durham, Canterbury and Chester as fine places to rival Norwich for their charms.

I love Norfolk for all the reasons decribed above. The open skies, the walk through the woods at Holkham.The train from Dereham to Wymondham and a meal in the curious restaurant on the platform.Heavy horses at Runton.Sorry ,but I am London based,and after a few rentals in Norfolk at Burgh St Peter, we decided to find our own place.Going on foreign holidays was becoming a pain. We''ve been a Norfolk village family for about 27 years now.At village Fetes when I say how long have I been there, folk say "but only Mrs .....  has been here that long"You can''t beat Oxburgh Hall for a visit and a walk.  We made a plan not to mix with the Brancaster set.Apart from Jolly Sailors that is.We even found the Saracen''s Head a few times. I am sure that I will be relegated to the "It''s not just football " forum soon.ce

ChristopherE, the "Brancaster set", whats that all about then?

There are a few of us locals still living there you know-its not all air kisses, black labs and Ranger Rovers...yet. Not bloody far off though.

So sorry Old Shuck. I just cringe everytime I open the Telegraph  property pages,and their descriptions.Not to mention the EDP.We are a long way inland.  30 minutes from some part of the coast.I was born abroad in a hot country. Oil was the old mans trade. He bought Roorquie Chairs in about 1950.They were of a Belgian design that were  flatpack,for the Congo. We had them re- built canvas wise by a chapwe found through the Brancaster chandlery shop. A charming man and he had mini-goats in the garden.He created webbing for the shoots at Holkham Hall.. All in all a nice experience.ce

No worries ''bor. Wonder who the Chandlery man was-might have been a Sutherland, Nudds or Snelling. Interesting to hear the links with my village.

As with so many places along the coast, its changed beyond all recognition-I''d say for the worse, but that might see people saying I''m narrow minded and can''t accept it.Well, maybe I can''t! But when a three bedroomed semi in the village is over £200''000 & the old social housing development on the Docking road, built in the 1960''s are now, one by one, becoming holiday lets.....*sigh*...

Enjoy.

I think that is why we ended up inland. Basically cheaper and nicer too. A neighbour for a time was Tariq Ali. The old rich radical.Son played cricket with him. He lost a lot of money backing a play. Had to move.We spent a lot of time retrieving wellingtons trying to collect samphire in your neck of the woods.After 25 years living inland we Tut-tutted about the closed properties too.I do think I have the business card somewhere .I will try.ce

I''m moving over to Norwich in about a year, once I have graduated from uni.

I''ve grown up as an exile, but I love the people in Norfolk more than anything, for the most part they are a different class to anywhere else, much more friendly and laid back... My girlfriend said as much when I took her over for the promotion parade!

I am living in Egham , Surrey , the town I originate from after moving back from South East Spain 3 years ago . Since leaving Egham I have lived in Hampshire , North West Norfolk and South East Spain .

I have to say of all those places its Norfolk that feels most like home . One day I would like to return after I retire finances permitting .

I sometimes wish. "Kick it off"...( good name for a beer!), that I had grown up in sensible parts of the world than the heat of Persia an Iraq, or the snakes and spiders in Papua.  Norfolk will calm you down after graduation.Old Shuck. The boatyard/chandlery (thanks google sattelite) is off the main road almost adjacent to a road called Common Lane.Snellings. I decided to pop in on the off chance of a bit of sailmaking information. Lo and behold. Canvas anchor bags.The shop gave me the makers name. And we had our repairs done. He was retired but seemed to like being busy.As he had a lot of green canvas webbing ready for,as mentioned, the gamekeepers of Holkham. We have green canvas seats and "anchor bag blue" bags to hold the pieces in. We approached his house from Docking so it must have been  towards Thornham.One day I will be relegated to "It''s not just football". I am just off down the A149 streetview to see if I can find the canvas makerce

Just to prove my Sherlock Holmes credentials. Shuck. Followed a very silly motorbike on the A 149 to the next village.(Thanks streetview.) End of Well lane Brancaster is the little studio. He does advertise.Anyway that''s me for the day.  It is thunderous in London. My brother wants me to sell up and move to the Cotswolds.Why would I do that when Norfolk has so much to offer?ce