Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

On the Ball ale and NCFC

[quote user="Lincs Canary"]The website which you quoted doesnt actually contain the club logo anywhere on there which I can see.

I think the debacle is more getting at the use of the club''s logo rather than the words on the ball city. [/quote]No, according to reports it isn''t just the club logo. The club also won''t let him use the name On The Ball or the colours.The club does not own the rights the the name "On The Ball" or the colours.

Not so haisbrohacker, Trading Wherry''s developed from the Keel. It is double-ended, its hull painted black with a white nose to aid visibility after dusk. Most trading wherries were clinker-built, but Albion, surviving today, was the sole example to be carvel-built. They carry a gaff rig, the sail historically also black from being treated with a mixture of tar and fish oil to protect it from the elements.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Norwich City won''t let the Why Not Brewery use the name On the Ball or the colours green and yellow on the label.NCFC don''t own that name or the colours.

However, Woodfordes also have a beer using a green and yellow label with

a canary to celebrate promotion, so are the club going to threaten them

too?Norwich City could have just asked the fan to remove the club badge and left it at that. Nobody would have any complaints with that demand. Asking him to remove the name and colours (that the club don''t own) is over the top.[/quote]As I said in an earlier post "Why Not Brewery were in the wrong using the

clubs crest without permission in the first place, if they had released

the beer with say a green label with On the Ball in yellow the club

would probably have let it go.
"
I would imagine the Club are getting heavy handed as the crest was used without permission.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Googler the problem is as a country we are suffering massively from the lack of our own industries. With this mans entrepreneurial invention he has thought of a way to make money and could potentially provide people with jobs. This is the way to sort out the economy, the fact in this country the big boys stop any form of entrepreneurial state of thought is ludicris and it''s no surprise we find ourselfs with mass unemployment and increasing debts.[/quote]I would like to understand how you justify that it is ok for him to break the law by copying the club''s registered trademark without permission!

So if I decided to be ''entrepreneurial'' and start making bags with the Nike tick and writing "just do it" along the side, it would be ok as it is creating jobs? 

What if one of the major brewers, Diageo or AB InBev, decided to brew the beer with the club''s logo, would that be ok?

If you look at my previous posts about Nike as it happens on either this thread or the other two about the whole issue you will have my answer. I have lost patience with most of you on here as you do not seem to have any intellectual brain power.

They can''t stop him using ''On the Ball''.  It''s a commonly used phrase I remember used by my teachers and was once the name of a TV football program show. I don''t recall the club threatening ITV. The use of the football club crest is of course a different thing.

i''ve just read the article with utter dismay. obviously now we are in the rarified heights of the premier league the club has decided to act against this brewer. NOW why did they not act when we were in league one or the championship?. Maybe because there are so many corporate sponsors in the PL the little man will be seen irrelevant. Keep brewing son, f**k the chemical enhanced ''beer'' companies that flood the PL with their pound notes. For once, NCFC has behaved disgracefully against a local norfolk business.

Legally he should remove the crest as it is an obvious copyright infringement. However if the club doesn''t have any legal protection over the use of the term "On the ball" then they can''t do anything surely?

He''s trading it as "On The Ball", not "On The Ball, City". So surely he''s infringing nothing on that front? It must make a difference.

Was driving through Melton Constable the other day and that well known butcher  Rutlands have a big sign outside on the pavement advertising ''''On the Ball '''' sausages. The picture on the sign indicates they are green and yellow sausages and have been made to celebrate our promotion,

C''mon Mr McNally you had better ring them and get the name changed [:)]

i think the company concerned are wrong using the crest , it is a company logo , without permission off the club first.surely if the ale sells well , a small commision to the club would have been a better idea ,especially if the club gave the money to a  local charity .i think this would have put the club in a better light i can understand the clubs position within this situation,maybe both parties coming to some sort of fair agreement would have been more beneficial to both of them .it seems to me a real shame that a local company were not given the opportunity to use this brand name with Norwich City football club as he is a very avid Norwich football fan and would have been proud to think that Norwich City football club had thought he was onto something that would have been advantageous to themselves as well as him .But then again i am not involved with Norwich City football club to understand the ins and outs regarding their copyright ..

There''s things you can and cannot get away with in terms of copyrights, this case obviously oversteps the mark, so the company has been asked to stop and seems to be willing to do so. I don''t see any problem.

I do recall not long ago that people were getting fed up with NCFC the ''soft touch'' and wanted the club to be much ''nastier'' and hard nosed. Well, you got what you wanted. The club has done what most businesses would do.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]If you look at my previous posts about Nike as it happens on either this thread or the other two about the whole issue you will have my answer. I have lost patience with most of you on here as you do not seem to have any intellectual brain power.[/quote]so rather than answer the point regarding why should it be ok for a local business to break copyright law with an intellectual response, you resort to cheap insults. Nice!

What happens to the club if they don''t send him a letter? Well, anyone could then use the logo. If they make no attempt to protect their copyright, others companies can cite it as a precedence. If a company can prove that the club knew of the infringement and did not persue it, it would open the flood gates for people to also use the logo - and the club could do nothing about it.

I know people have said about the on the ball phrase and colours, but the only part that was being protected was the logo. I believe that if they didn''t use the logo, the club wouldn''t have sent a letter.

For example, Canary cars uses the word Canary and colours yellow and green, but they have not received a letter as they do not use anything that is copyrighted

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

Norwich City won''t let the Why Not Brewery use the name On the Ball or the colours green and yellow on the label.

NCFC don''t own that name or the colours.

However, Woodfordes also have a beer using a green and yellow label with a canary to celebrate promotion, so are the club going to threaten them too?

Norwich City could have just asked the fan to remove the club badge and left it at that. Nobody would have any complaints with that demand. Asking him to remove the name and colours (that the club don''t own) is over the top.
[/quote]

As I said in an earlier post "Why Not Brewery were in the wrong using the clubs crest without permission in the first place, if they had released the beer with say a green label with On the Ball in yellow the club would probably have let it go." I would imagine the Club are getting heavy handed as the crest was used without permission.
[/quote]

Its the use of the clubs crest thats the problem.

Well its all good publicity for the brewery isn''t it?

I can understand the club getting annoyed at the use of the crest but as for calling his ale ''On the ball City'', I think he''s well within his rights. Nobody owns a combination of colors and certainly not three words. Very petty Norwich.

As a further development I understand the Club are now looking to take a tough stance, concerning the same intellectual property, against a local small business pharmacy who have developed and marketed a new Jock Itch lotion.

[quote user="Pigs in Space"]

Green Jack brewery must be quaking in their boots. They have been producing "Canary Ale" for some years now ... Very nice it is too!!

http://www.green-jack.com/our-real-ales

[/quote]

I like the sound of this one: The Norfolk Black is a Chocolaty Stout Spiced for Christmas with Vanilla, Orange and Cinnamon

Forget all the business about using ''On the ball'' and the yellow and green, it''s all about using the club crest unauthorised to make profit. I can''t see how anyone can defend that - Our club, which like it or not are a business aswell, are 110% completely in the right.

[quote user="Alex "]Forget all the business about using ''On the ball'' and the yellow and green, it''s all about using the club crest unauthorised to make profit. I can''t see how anyone can defend that - Our club, which like it or not are a business aswell, are 110% completely in the right.[/quote]

I would of said that they were more like 112.5% right ... but that''s me just being pedantic

[quote user="Alex "]Forget all the business about using ''On the ball'' and the yellow and green, it''s all about using the club crest unauthorised to make profit. I can''t see how anyone can defend that - Our club, which like it or not are a business aswell, are 110% completely in the right.[/quote]Easy, since the sycophants have been creaming themselves over this tough stance, nobody has given a toss before. And if this was large multinational supermarket most people would be calling them bullyboys.  Time will tell whether they''ll chase market stallholders,  and small community fan sites who have ''lifted'' images to use for t-shirts and the like.  But I guess they''ll be plenty who''ll sign up to the ''snitch squad'' to get a slice of the action.Maybe more will change their minds the day BCCB register ''NCFC'' ''OTBC'' ''KICK IT OFF'' etc etc as trademarks. 

[quote user="Alex "]Forget all the business about using ''On the ball'' and the yellow and green, it''s all about using the club crest unauthorised to make profit. I can''t see how anyone can defend that - Our club, which like it or not are a business aswell, are 110% completely in the right.[/quote]

I would of said that they were more like 112.5% right ... but that''s me just being pedantic

[/quote]''Would have''.... that''s me using correct English

Quite right Spangles. I was a major user of the edit button when it appeared for a spell.Typing too quickly and a ''can''t be bothered'' attitude to the pervieww button is sending us to the dgos.I am as bad as anybody but would not have used of in such a way. Send me back to the old "furum".Do not know if there is such a word but it sounded fun.ce

I wonder if the street vendors will be next?  I believe they (except sellers of newspapers, fanzines) need a licence from the City Council.

As for sellers of fanzines i think they are exempt from needing a licence. Does anybody remember the time when the police took someone in and then found out that they didnt need a licence?

Green Jack brewery must be quaking in their boots. They have been producing "Canary Ale" for some years now ... Very nice it is too!!

http://www.green-jack.com/our-real-ales

[/quote]I can''t see our crest on there logo so no problem.[IMG]http://www.green-jack.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/canary_pale_ale.png[/IMG]