Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Another £3m to spend?

Just thinking about the current mind games Doomcaster is playing about finances.It seems that the out of nowhere we have just conjured £3m to secure a talented young striker.However from the recently published accounts the self same chief exec projected a £6m profit by the end of the next financial year. Has the decision been made to spend the £6m on squad improvements and break even rather than bank a £6m profit to the accounts, on the basis that the potential reward of another season in the prem makes the risk worthwhile? It seems more likely than getting up to £10m in a will.Having spent half of that can we really dream of another £3m on a couple of players? I know - I am just getting carried away now...OTBC

Sorry to spoil your fun : but profit does not equal cash.  For a footy club (and most businesses), cash is king: profit are pretty much irrelevant. If the cashflow is good, then profit will usually follow.  But you are trying to compare apples and oranges really.

For example - I could sell my house and make a big "profit" over the purchase cost. But, once I had repaid the mortgage lender, the cash I have left is much less than the "profit".  (A simplistic example I accept.)

This is why we shall never be able to even guess at the cash available to buy players/pay for their wages (remember we have to do both!).  That is why the Doomcaster - quite rightly - has a number of cashflow estimates based on staying up, going down and staying down, bouncing back, good Cup runs (er......), finishing Xth in the Prem etc.  He knows, we don''t. 

But enjoy the £3m rabbit he pulled out!

OTBC

It won''t happen. However, Worthy has said he may yet bring in a loan player until the end of the season. If he is going to do this, he should approach the likes of Chelski, Manure, Liverpool and maybe even Man City who have pretty large squads.

As for the position, it would have to be either a tall but versatile defender or a hard working midfielder.

Worthy seems to suggest a loan addition in reading through al lthe various quotes on the Pink''Un reports today.

Not sure if that''ll be it, but it wouldn''t surprise me too much if it was.

Sorry guys but you can''t read too much into anything Worthy says. He will not show his hand to anyone - to do so would undermine his negotiating position - which we will never know about until after the event.

Patience - and faith required, I''m afraid.

If you want to know exactly whats going on, how much can be afforded, how many players are needed etc then go and listen to Harry Redknapp instead.

Here''s a cunning idea...if Worthy is so good at keeping his cards close to his chest, why not take up poker? He could enter one of these tournaments on Challenge TV or something and earn a packet in winnings to put into wages