Sign in to follow this  
Wembley_Canary

Hucks in Yorkshire Masters

Did anyone else watch Hucks playing for Leeds in the Yorkshire Masters earlier today on sky sports?

I thought he was the best player by a long way, won the golden boot and

player of the tournament along the way to helping Leeds win the final

against Huddersfield. It was a tad soul destroying to actually want to

see Leeds United win a game of football but at least they were in

yellow.

Shame we rarely enter the masters with Hucks in such fine shape, would surely give us half a chance?

I dont really know why we dont anymore??. I seem to remember us competing in the central masters at Coventry a few years ago with he likes of Newman,Goss,Gordon,Milligan,Gunn and Adams playing, but we werent very good. We''d have a younger team nowadays through with Huckerby and maybe Eadie and Sutton??

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Did anyone else watch Hucks playing for Leeds in the Yorkshire Masters earlier today on sky sports?

I thought he was the best player by a long way, won the golden boot and

player of the tournament along the way to helping Leeds win the final

against Huddersfield. It was a tad soul destroying to actually want to

see Leeds United win a game of football but at least they were in

yellow.

Shame we rarely enter the masters with Hucks in such fine shape, would surely give us half a chance?[/quote]Yes, I just saw that as well.  What with Hucks playing for Leeds, ''Psycho'' Bradshaw playing for Sheff Utd and Efan Ekoku playing for Sheff Wed (???) it was like watching a Norwich Veterans team.   Hucks was excellent though - head and shoulders above most of the others.

I managed to go and see it live - living in Sheffield and winning 2 tickets helped.

The old Hucks magic hasn''t worn off. He was amazing - absolutely miles better than so many others on the pitch. Biased? Probably, but I think the fact that he looked match fit helped. There were one or two spare tyres on show:-)

It felt strange cheering for Leeds, although the yellow shirts made it a lot easier. The whole arena (apart from a few Leeds fans) gave a rendition of "We all hate Leeds scum" once or twice. Other than that, the atmosphere was dead for most of the evening - I couldn''t help thinking a rousing chorus of On The Ball would have got things going a bit...

I''ve just had a reply from @MastersFootball on twitter to say that they''re on the case as far as getting NCFC into the masters...

My free tickets came courtesy of being the 500th twitter follower of @MastersFootball. Apparently they''re going to be running more competitions for followers to win tickets...

Just in case anyone''s interested. They''ve got the midlands, central and London heats to do, and the final''s in manchester...

Ben

It would be great for city to have a team. Who would it be though? My guess would be...

Gunn

Dublin

Mcveigh

Iwan

Hucks

Although Gunn may have enjoyed a bit too much of the corporate entertainment at City, but I don''t know which other ''keeper should represent Ciity

That''s good news then, would love to see Norwich compete in next years masters, just need to get a team together, a few players who spring to mind are Huckerby, Eadie, Sutton, Mcveigh, Fleming and Gunn. All seem to be in good shape for their age unlike a lot of the ex-pros who regularly enter the masters. 

Hasn''t lost any of his magic and is still is a joy to watch [:D]

Missed it sadly, but shame Norwich never seem to compete. Is it independent to the actual club or is it our responsibility?

[quote user="cityangel"]

Hasn''t lost any of his magic and is still is a joy to watch [:D]

[/quote]

the obvious quips about "filling the whole goalmouth" aside, I think Scott Howie would play instead of Gunn??

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Missed it sadly, but shame Norwich never seem to compete. Is it independent to the actual club or is it our responsibility?[/quote]I think it''s the players responsibility to get a team together, the club just help promote tickets sales as I remember the last time we entered the central masters the club were given an additional 100 tickets to sell which was advertised on their website.

Watched it with my 6 year old son,when i told him that Hucks used to be a City player,well his jaw dropped and he said "He''s Awesome" summed Hucks up in two words!

As far as I know us and the scum don''t actually get invited anymore as we don''t fit neatly into any geographical category. I remember feeling a bit peed off the first year we weren''t invited!

With that response PhatCanary the lad could have fit in nicely with the San Jose Earthquakes crowd lol.

So why not an East Anglian Masters added to the rest, Peterborough, Colchester, Ipswich & Norwich?

It was clear to see that Hucks runs 10 miles most days of the week at the gym.  He just got better and better.   Nice that he was allowed to wear yellow as well.

Darren Huckerby made a good point today when he said it was a pity that Norwich don''t enter a side in the Masters competition for old-timers. It was obvious he would rather have played for City, but had to make do with Leeds instead.

I just wondered if there was any particular reason why we haven''t played in the Masters since 2004. Is it for geographical reasons perhaps, given that the group stages are arranged along regional lines and East Anglia is obviously a bit out on a limb.

Hucks could still do a job for us - even in the Prem.

He wouldn''t be the first player to come out of retirement either, look at Stephen Carr.

Sign him up on a 1 year contract[Y]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Hucks could still do a job for us - even in the Prem.

He wouldn''t be the first player to come out of retirement either, look at Stephen Carr.

[/quote]C''mon....seriously fella, I''d love to see a Roy of the Rovers style story where Hucks arose like a phoenix from the flames and tormented defences for fun again....but let''s be honest, it''s not gonna happen.The man himself has stated more than once how his body was feeling about league football, I doubt that''s going to change.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Hucks could still do a job for us - even in the Prem.A

[/quote]C''mon....seriously fella, I''d love to see a Roy of the Rovers style story where Hucks arose like a phoenix from the flames and tormented defences for fun again....but let''s be honest, it''s not gonna happen.The man himself has stated more than once how his body was feeling about league football, I doubt that''s going to change.[/quote]Ashes, phoenix from the ashes, it''s a common mistake [:)]