Sign in to follow this  
Adam NCFC

Norwich to bid £2m for Forster..

[quote user="ms miggins"]one thing is for sure, if he does come, they will both be given a fair chance to make the starting 11[/quote]I think thats fair!! I also think and after watching the DVD at the weekend. Esh it makes hard watching if Your John Ruddy at points.

But would Forster be willing to join if he isn''t promised 1st team football?

While domestic Scottish football is a complete joke joining Celtic he would be guaranteed European football every year, huge crowds at home matches and probably a title every other season. He''s already been their number 1 for a year so would walk back in to their starting 11. Would you turn down 1st choice at Celtic to become competition for 1st choice at Norwich?

[quote user="Mahogany"]But would Forster be willing to join if he isn''t promised 1st team football?

While domestic Scottish football is a complete joke joining Celtic he would be guaranteed European football every year, huge crowds at home matches and probably a title every other season. He''s already been their number 1 for a year so would walk back in to their starting 11. Would you turn down 1st choice at Celtic to become competition for 1st choice at Norwich?[/quote]

In the Premiership he will play against Manchester Utd And city.

Also Chelsea Arsenal Tottenham and other great clubs. If Celtic get

in the champions league will he get as many big games. I don''t think

he would.

[quote user="Mahogany"]But would Forster be willing to join if he isn''t promised 1st team football?

While domestic Scottish football is a complete joke joining Celtic he would be guaranteed European football every year, huge crowds at home matches and probably a title every other season. He''s already been their number 1 for a year so would walk back in to their starting 11. Would you turn down 1st choice at Celtic to become competition for 1st choice at Norwich?[/quote]

i don''t think he''ll really have a choice.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]

One thing that really gets me about goalkeepers is this phrase "being proven at a certain level". In my opinion (and it may be wrong), at any level, a shot is a shot. Players at the professional level of the game are capable of finding the corners of the goal with a strike. With goalkeepers, again, in my opinion, it comes down to positioning, reflexes, bravery and agility. If a goalkeeper has those attributes he''s pretty well equipped to perform at any level. Sure, the higher the level you''re playing at the more likely a player is to attempt to dribble it round you, or perhaps attempt an unorthodox finish, but to most intents and purposes a shot remains a shot.

Fraser is an excellent shot-stopper. And on top of that, he''s a huge man, he fills the goal, but this doesn''t hinder his reflexes or agility. He can get to the corners of the goal, but he''s also brave and positions himself well in one-on-one situations. Sure, he''s not the finished article, there was obviously a question mark over his kicking, and his command of the penalty area sometimes was lacking, but overall I think he was absolutely superb for us. The number of one-on-one blocks and flying saves he pulled off was ridiculous. I remember one home game towards the tail end of the season he must have pulled off 3 one-on-one saves in one half in front of the Barclay. You can''t teach that, he just had the knack of getting himself in the right position to block the shot.

He''s 2 years older now, more experienced in big games and I think that £2m would be a great deal for us if it happened.

John Ruddy is a good goalkeeper, but I don''t think we can go into the season with just one fully-fledged senior keeper. I think Fraser is an excellent choice to add competition in that area of the pitch.

[/quote]

You''re not wrong. This is a point I''ve made before, that you can assess goalkeepers no matter what the level. And your assessment of Forster is spot on. He isn''t perfect positionally (which is a worry) but is simply a better shot stopper than Ruddy, and commands the area a bit better. Ruddy''s virtue is that he''s a decent enough shot stopper (mid-table Championship level) but positionally is hopeless and doesn''t commnand his area.

Forster is the better keeper. Whether we should be going for him is a question of how much money we have to spend, and priorities, but goalkeeper is a crucial position. If we have the money to improve then we should.

[/quote]

Nail on the head.

I would love to see big Fraser back as competetion for the number 1 shirt. I also believe that he has the potential to become a great England keeper.

To those of you saying why would he want to leave Celtic, with the big crowd and european footy, I say this. Playing for Celtic is the equivalent of playing in the championship at best. This is not what he needs to drive him on to become a better keeper, whereas playing in the Premier league...

I think we all know Forster is the better keeper, and £2m is a bargain. Not sure if he will be England number 1 because of how good Joe Hart is, but you never know. If we can get Forster, he''ll be our number 1 without doubt. Class keeper.

IF this rumor does have some depth to it it''s gonna go to either of two extremes. Ruddy will have his morale sapped out of him to see the guy he fought so hard to step into the shoes of back at Norwich, and probably taking the number 1 jersey immediately, OR he will channel it into positive displays in training and really look to maximize his potential sooner rather than later.

Is it worth taking the risk of damaging morale? Who knows...

[quote user="ms miggins"][quote user="Mahogany"]But would Forster be willing to join if he isn''t promised 1st team football? While domestic Scottish football is a complete joke joining Celtic he would be guaranteed European football every year, huge crowds at home matches and probably a title every other season. He''s already been their number 1 for a year so would walk back in to their starting 11. Would you turn down 1st choice at Celtic to become competition for 1st choice at Norwich?[/quote] i don''t think he''ll really have a choice.[/quote]

I would everytime actually! The Premier League is the best league in the world, and he''d make the No 1 jersey his if he joined full time.

If we want to do well this coming season then for me this signing, or one of a similar nature HAS TO HAPPEN.For me I have massive doubts over Ruddy and believe that our youth products are stronger keepers than him.  Look at the other thread on here about Fraser Forster and just count the number of simple errors made by Ruddy for us last season.  I am afraid that we have no room for those kind of errors in the Premiership.  All this stuff about Ruddy is sentimental rubbish to me and is not based purely on analysing his performances for us.

I think Ruddy and Forster competing for the No 1 jersey is ideal. They''re both very competent keepers, with Forster maybe just edging it. A lot is made on the amount of errors Ruddy makes, but then I remember van Der Sar making a few howlers last season. In general Ruddy is a very good keeper and would be snapping at the heels of Forster for his place.

No one doubts Forster''s potential, the only questions is whether we ought to spend £2m now for someone to sit on the bench, some other keeper for much less or let Rudd be the reserve.

If Ruddy were to be injured, then we would need an experienced player to fill in, but do we wish to dpend £2m plus Premiership wages on the small chance that Ruddy may be injured.

Much depends on how PL sees Ruddy - as someone who started poorly but improved, or as an unknown with very limited experience? Has Ruddy reached his peak of achievement, or does he still have quite a way to go?

In  this current market, £2m for a young ENGLISH player is an absolute steal. Ruddy''s mistake were frequent last season, the only reason we managed to get away with a few of them is because we went down the other end and stuck 2 in. It won''t happen this season, we''ll be scraping for the 2-1''s and 1-0''s so can''t afford to give them a head start. Forster is quality, we all know it.

[quote user="Adam NCFC"]In  this current market, £2m for a young ENGLISH player is an absolute steal. Ruddy''s mistake were frequent last season, the only reason we managed to get away with a few of them is because we went down the other end and stuck 2 in. It won''t happen this season, we''ll be scraping for the 2-1''s and 1-0''s so can''t afford to give them a head start. Forster is quality, we all know it.[/quote]Could not agree more, seems this DVD has highlights to many people who think Ruddy is a class act that actually they are wrong!

Ruddy started slowly and improved - playing in a far better league than fraser.

Forster has had two seasons in top teams in their leagues but neither has presented much of a challenge. He did make mistakes too and his kicking is woeful - and keeping possession will be key next season.

Both have potential - Fraser probably has the greater scope for growth

However I have not seen a enormous amount of difference between the 2 - and to be honest I will have concerns about either of them whoever was to start - but also think they are both probably able todo a good job for us. The reason I want both is competition and cover.

Why dont I want Rudd as back up next season? Purely because he has not played a competetive season and the prem is not the right place to start. Like Forster he has potential but like forster has done the last 2 season he needs to be playing.

After all before Rudd we had Joe Lewis as our homegrown next england keeper and he was sold for a shockingly low amount if the post on here were recalled (in hindsight was this Roeders one good decision? ;-) ) - who amongst you can honestly say we wish we still had him?

Its a very interesting debate.

I believe Ruddy did well last season with a defence who played very much up the field and often found him isolated. Again don''t think any of us expected the rise of this club and another season in the championship would fit Ruddy perfectly.

Could Ruddy cut it in the prem? certainly if the defence was better. Is Forster the answer, well if his development is as rapid as it has been so far he could competing for an england place and certainly be regarded as one of our better players. Hence he would certainly rise in value quicker than Ruddy.

His signing may put the blocks on Rudd and Steer, to a degree, in regard to moving through at NCFC.

So I can see benefits and cons of this signing. I think the benefits for the next season is very high, however long term. I am not so sure.

Now Shay Given is up for a 4 million buy, yes wages may be an issue, but certainly a loan request may be ideal. His experience to Ruddy and to the youngsters would be ideal. I also think I could say that our premiership survival will certainly increase with a signing such as given.

Maik Taylor and Marcus Hahnemann are still there on free transfers. It is interesting do you go for a keeper who can develop into one Englands best and one of high value. Or do you look at experience to push Ruddy and possibly push the boat out and get a marquee signing of Shay Given. Who for me will guarantee a number of points next season and certainly would increase our chances of staying up for the next two seasons.

It will be very interesting to see what arises.

Haha,sooooooo unrealistic some of our fans!! Shay Given!! Yeh right!!, More chance of seeing Shaquille O''Neal in our no.9 shirt next season!

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Haha,sooooooo unrealistic some of our fans!! Shay Given!! Yeh right!!, More chance of seeing Shaquille O''Neal in our no.9 shirt next season![/quote]haha sorry, but that did make me laugh! [:D]

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Hope I''m not the only one who needed to check who Shaquille O''Neal is?[/quote]Are you mad? He''s possible the most famous golfer of all time............ [:|]

Hanemann would be perfect. Wouldn''t expect to start but has masses of experience and would help develop Ruddy, Rudd and Steer no end and if Ruddy isn''t good enough then Hanemann could step in. I honestly feel Forster would disrupt the squad and divide the fans as well as a big middle finger to Rudd and Steer. Yes Forster is good but is not good for the club.