Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Calling Norwich City writers

There is shortly going to be a new Norwich City website launched under the football fancast network.

I will be running and editing the site. Details are a little thin on the ground at the moment - but more information should be available at the end of the week.

In short though all content will be about Norwich City and I will be on the lookout for some writers. Essentially I am looking for quality rather than quantity and writers will need to be able to commit to writing on a daily basis.

There will be a selection process involved and I would probably only be looking for 4 or 5 writers to begin with. Obviously I will need to see examples of work and the work for the site will need to be quite in depth.

Anyone interested reply to this thread and I will update the threat with information as I get it.

Hi Jim,

I''m interested.

I have a hectic 6weeks coming up where I wouldn''t be able to write daily - but then I''ll be freed up just in time for the football season kicking off.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]There is shortly going to be a new Norwich City website launched under the football fancast network.

I will be running and editing the site. Details are a little thin on the ground at the moment - but more information should be available at the end of the week.

In short though all content will be about Norwich City and I will be on the lookout for some writers. Essentially I am looking for quality rather than quantity and writers will need to be able to commit to writing on a daily basis.

There will be a selection process involved and I would probably only be looking for 4 or 5 writers to begin with. Obviously I will need to see examples of work and the work for the site will need to be quite in depth.

Anyone interested reply to this thread and I will update the threat with information as I get it.[/quote]Would it be voluntary or would we be paid for any articles we write? I am a freelance editor/writer and would be happy to write some articles for free, but due to work commitments I wouldn''t be able to commit to doing free work on a daily basis.

Great thanks for the responses so far. I have a meeting on Friday to decide how it will all work. So I will provide further details at the weekend.

I would not expect money to being available to pay writers at first. I may be looking for occasional contributors as the site develops - but initially I am looking for regular writers.

If any of you have work published online then please direct it to me otherwise I will require at least one writing sample to decide which writers I wish to use. Watch this thread for more details.

[quote user="Jim Kent"] Essentially I am looking for quality rather than quantity and writers will need to be able to commit to writing on a daily basis. [/quote]Isn''t that rather contradictory? A lot of the problem with maintstream football writing is that there is just too much of it. I''d much rather read one lengthy and well researched article a week than rushed piece every day. If you really want quality then I would suggest you would be better commisioning a larger number of writers and getting them to write one or two articles a week.I''m not having a go but just offering some advice as people will soon run out of ideas if you get them to write daily. I''m looking to start writing again and would be happy to contribute on a more casual basis.

Shack,

I don''t have all the details right now and how it will work as I need to have various meetings. As far as choices go a lot will be provided by myself to the writers.

This is one of the reasons I don''t want a lot of writers.

I would be interested. Have not written much in the past, however I could write up a new sample piece for you.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Essentially I am looking for quality rather than quantity and writers will need to be able to commit to writing on a daily basis. [/quote]That sounds a bit contradictory to me.  If you expect some new writing from people on a daily basis then quality will soon be sacrificed as people rush to cobble together something when they actually have nothing to say.  Or worse. nothing worth saying.

Having previously been a weekly columnist on now deceased site "The Nest", I have to say that daily articles are highly likely to drag down the quality of the content - unless there is access to a huge amount of information that you''d not normally get e.g. a daily update from Colney about injured players rehabilitation, regular player interviews etc, and even so, I''m not sure how long this could be maintained for.I found that a piece a week was a good balance during the season, with this dropping to fortnightly or so during the summer break.That being said, It''s your site, you run it how you want it and think it will work, just trying to offer some constructive feedback based on experience :)RegardsIndy.

I echo what other posters have said about the quality/quantity dichotomy. If you had, say, ten writers providing two articles per week, that would be roughly three new articles per day. I would be more than happy to contribute on that basis. Even as a writer and editor, I wouldn''t trust myself to write an article every day and make it engaging, relevant and of a high quality.Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything; I''d be more than happy to proof-read and/or sub-edit articles for you, as well as providing content.

Just to echo what others have said asking people to write an article a day will seriously hamper your quality, and result in rather cliche formulaic articles. I work as a writer for a major publication, and we would only expect our writers to do one or two feature pieces a week. Looking at the best football writers out there, they will only do one thing a month but make it in depth and orignial.

I could also help out on an occasional basis though if you need more people doing fewer.

Would all the articles have to be Norwich City based? Or covering a wider range of stories from the football world?

Thanks for the feedback but as I said details are thin on the ground at present and what I wrote on the OP was just some initial ideas. I will provide more details at the weekend.

Yes I expect all content to be on Norwich City.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] 

I could also help out on an occasional basis though if you need more people doing fewer.  Would all the articles have to be Norwich City based? Or covering a wider range of stories from the football world?

[/quote]I''ve sent you a PM BYandG.

Just a quick reminder, I hope to provide an update by tomorrow evening - if not certainly over the weekend.

Anyone interested who hasn''t provided an email address - please do so ASAP and also direct me to any published articles.

I am hoping to make quick decisions and get the site up and running within the next two to three weeks.

Hi Jim,I''d be interested on helping out, I currently work as a copywriter/content editor for a marketing company and I''m pretty confident writing articles of varying length.DM me on twitter - @jameshb.Thanks