Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Connor Wickham

Just seen that our ever-so-wealthy rivals at the Portaloo have agreed to sell their best prospect for years and probably their best player, Connor Wickham to Sunderland for an eventual £13m. It is now upto the player.

What happened to all the money from Evans? I had assumed it would make them a buying club, not the opposite. How things have changed. We are the wealthy ones now it seems.  

If they use the money wisely, then they could have a promotion side. I, personally no longer rate Paul Jewell and the money could well be wasted ala Keane.

It will be fun to observe their further demise, as long as we survive at least a season.

To be fair, they are a Championship team and regardless of investment £13m would be difficult to turn down for anybody - particularly for a player who is, for all I can see so far, all talk and no trousers.

agree, 13million for a player that so far has troubled no scoring charts in the championship, regardless of his obvious potential is a great piece of business for them. Would still be sick if I followed them as losing your best player for any price hurts. I do however still rate Jewell as a manager able to put together and motivate a team, if given the 13m, I think he could seriously strengthen their team so much so that they may be safe from relegation by march even.

Also, they are not going to get the £13m now, if ever!  It is £5m + add ons.  After everyone has taken their cuts (player, agents, Marcus Evans, etc) I can''t see the budget increasing by more than £3-£3.5m

The key question here is, how much of this will Jewell get to spend?, this will be the real pointer as to how much money or otherwise they have, mu suspicion (hope), is that theyve already spent the money on his replacement in Chopra and Evans is banking the rest.

They paid 9 million for Craig Gordon, now 13 million for Wickham. More money than sense and Wickham is all hype. I''d rather have Cody for 25K. [:D] 

First of all, the actual cost is £9m with the possibility of going up to £12.5m - so even less for Jewell to play with. I also think a fair few people have yellow and green tinted specs on when they play him down. The lad is clearly talented the problem he has faced on the most part so far is poor managerial decisions. I''m sure under Bruce he will succeed. Now that''s not to say he will be a world conqueror or another Wayne Rooney. Also considering he is likely to establish himself in the England set-up and the recent cost of two young English CBs this price isn''t really surprising. Just a sad reflection on the economic change in the game.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]First of all, the actual cost is £9m with the possibility of going up to £12.5m - so even less for Jewell to play with. I also think a fair few people have yellow and green tinted specs on when they play him down. The lad is clearly talented the problem he has faced on the most part so far is poor managerial decisions. I''m sure under Bruce he will succeed. Now that''s not to say he will be a world conqueror or another Wayne Rooney. Also considering he is likely to establish himself in the England set-up and the recent cost of two young English CBs this price isn''t really surprising. Just a sad reflection on the economic change in the game.[/quote]He''s only been very sucessful at an U-17 level (European champion, I believe) and when you look at the size of him, it''s not really a suprise is it?Like many England internationals, his physique has made him so good at that level. He''s 6''3'''' and built like a brick s**thouse how are 16-17 yer old defenders supposed to challange him for anything? Unsurprisingly, almost no one mentions his technical attributes, probably because he is technically limited and If he doesn''t improve he will struggle.However, he does show promise, I''m not stupid and (from what little I''ve seen of him) has shown class. Jewell has this belief that Wickham is a left winger, and it has affected his game, time is on his side and with time spent at Sunderland his technique will no doubt improve but £13 million is very, very steep for a striker not even proven at a Championship level 

Fab deal for Ipswich - not even a starting regular with few goals but bags of potential - £9m now still overstates it.

The own that impresses me is Craig gardiner, £6m and really impressed in midfield, combative, a goal scorer and will only improve - at that price he is a bargain...

Being completely neutral for the sake of this post it''s a cracking deal for Ipswich.

Yes, the lad might well go onto be an england squad regular ala Darren Bent but the money paid by Sunderland is crazy. £9million upfront? what has he done to justify this? Another Englishmen gone for stupid amounts of money.

Phil Jones £20m

Henderson £15m+

Wickham £9m+

Andy Carroll £35m+

Ashley Young £20m

£99m pounds...and none of them have won a title, none of them have played champions league football, none of them are national starters.....''potential'' gets managers sacked, results are wanted immedtiately.

once a binner...always a binner...f**k em. lets concentrate on the pride of east anglia and not these championship inbreds

Great deal for those bums down the road. Now when they don''t succeed even with all this cash in hand, it further compounds their misery. But fair play to them-- I would be biting Sunderland''s hand off for that kind of money from someone so unproven at higher levels.  I still think that this year is without a doubt the strongest top half of the Championship in memory.  Even when Newcastle was assured of 1 auto spot 2 years ago, it was easier to move up than this year will be.  Just too many strong, rich, parachute or moneybags sides vying for 3 precious spots. Oh for West Ham to stay down... please make it happen!

That''s the problem with looking purely at potential, because for every Leo Messi, there''s 500 Cherno Sambas''...They''ve got a great deal for a player that really hasn''t done anything so far, and hasn''t even looked that great on the odd occasion when I''ve seen him play.It''s also another sign of the overpriced market for homegrown players, particularly if he doesn''t end up performing, he''ll be available in a few years for substantially less than the price Ip5wich have got now.In fact, the real losers are arguably Sunderland, for yet again paying over the odds for a totally unproven player...

Bet the sc*m can''t believe their luck. He is bang average and would probably not even have been in their starting line up at the beginning of next season. They are benefitting from the hype created when he played in the U17''s and was about a foot bigger than any other player on the pitch.

The prices these days are ridiculous but i guess the good news for us is that any of our player who perform vaguely well in the prem next season will automatically be worth £10 million even if we get relegated!

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]First of all, the actual cost is £9m with the possibility of going up to £12.5m - so even less for Jewell to play with. I also think a fair few people have yellow and green tinted specs on when they play him down. The lad is clearly talented the problem he has faced on the most part so far is poor managerial decisions. I''m sure under Bruce he will succeed. Now that''s not to say he will be a world conqueror or another Wayne Rooney. Also considering he is likely to establish himself in the England set-up and the recent cost of two young English CBs this price isn''t really surprising. Just a sad reflection on the economic change in the game.[/quote]Maybe that would be the case before he signed for Sunderland, surely the fact most people are saying Ipswich got a great deal and that Wickham is overrated is actually a GOOD thing for Ipswich and therefore not a Norwich biased thing to say.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The key question here is, how much of this will Jewell get to spend?, this will be the real pointer as to how much money or otherwise they have, mu suspicion (hope), is that theyve already spent the money on his replacement in Chopra and Evans is banking the rest.[/quote]Clegg was on Talkshite this afternoon and you couldn''t help but get the feeling the scenario you''ve outlined is pretty close to the mark. There''s going to be some very upset Binners if they foolishly think they''re getting Chopra and £8m quids worth of players.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The key question here is, how much of this will Jewell get to spend?, this will be the real pointer as to how much money or otherwise they have, mu suspicion (hope), is that theyve already spent the money on his replacement in Chopra and Evans is banking the rest.[/quote]Clegg was on Talkshite this afternoon and you couldn''t help but get the feeling the scenario you''ve outlined is pretty close to the mark. There''s going to be some very upset Binners if they foolishly think they''re getting Chopra and £8m quids worth of players.[/quote]Wasn''t £8M what he paid for the scum''s debt. So now he has his money back, they still owe him £30+M and he''s raking in ~ £800K annualy in share dividends. He''s shafted them good and proper. Nice!!