Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Our most valuable player

If they were to be sold, who would we get most money for?I think our best players seem to be the older ones (hence worth less than if they were younger)Maybe £2.5m for Surman, Barnett, Hoolahan, Jackson and Holt?Not saying i''d accept that, but a likely value?

I can''t see why surmans value will have increased from the £1.2m or so we paid for him.

I think maybe £1.75m for holt, £1m for Barnett and Jackson and then at the moment c.£1.5m for wes on the basis it''s to be seen whether he''ll make it in the prem and based on the apparent lack of offers and non selection for Ireland most prem managers think he won''t. If he does though then surely his value would go up to something like £4.5m - £5m.

Can''t see how Barnett would be worth more than what we paid for him (600k?) he only played like 2 games after signing.

My guess would be R.Martin. Good age and statistically the best defender in the Championship. He''d be worth at least 2.5m.

Yet I think the compo for Lambert would be greater than that of any player at the club, probably in the region of 4-8 million id imagine.

Mahogany, how can you rate someone as our most valuable player at £2.5m when it was reported we spent £2.8m on Steve Morison.

I was never any good at maths but surely £2.8m is more than £2.5m.

Well I wasn''t really counting the new guys, and I did say at least 2.5m (I doubt we would accept anything close to that).

I think the thing about most of our players is that they are worth more to us than they would be to anyone else.

Holt is priceless and we would need to spend upwards of 4m to find someone anywhere near good enough to replace him just in terms of goals and assists, but I doubt you would find anyone willing to pay much over 2m due to his age and lack of top level experience. Same goes for Wessi.

Jackson would probably fetch about 1.5m if we were looking to get rid, but if he starts next season like he finished the last suddenly he''ll be worth 3 or 4 times that.

Holt is probaly our most projected valuable player (I really wanted a better word than projected) but without any actual fee being paid for him since his move to Norwich (£400,000 wasn''t it? What a bargain) then we don''t know how valuable he truly is.

brings me back to when Darren Bent and Thierry Henry moved in the same transfer window for the same amount, and people thought i was bonkers to suggest that Bent represented the better deal. Thierry Henry then had 1 or 2 pretty good seasons, Bent had a few since then without being outstanding, but he has since sold for £20+m whereas Henry went on for nothing. No doubt that Henry was twice the player ability wise but due to his age, he only went for £16.5m as the very much average Darren Bent went for the same amount.We don''t have anyone at the moment i reckon we''d get a £5m+ bid for.I think the realistic goldmines are:Russell MartinJames VaughanSimeon JacksonDavid FoxElliott BennetLeon BarnettJohn Ruddy

By end of this season,

Vaughan - if fit

R Martin

C Martin - if here

Da Leat

But look at that squiad - if managed by Anyone other than PL what is your confidence level then, wityh McCarthey, pardew, ,mcleish, warnock,keen. Might tak pulies, martines at a push but not a good selection. How do you want?

Is this value to other clubs ?

I would be disappointed to lose any of our first team squad for less than about 3 million and much more for our key players

Teams like Forest, Leicester, Cardiff, Hull etc would pay good money for a few of our players. I''m sure we could get getting on for £3m for Holt from a Championship club.

I''m surprised nobody''s mentioned Crofts - I think his stock is probably quite high at the moment and a lot of clubs would fancy him at £2.5m or so - if he starts the season well that value could double. Similar to Fox.

I would have to say that the most valuable ones would be those able to raise their games to the level of the Premiership, and from among them the one who makes the greatest impact.

Surman was regarded as a premiership player by Wolves, but not robust enough, while Barnett did not regulalrly make a fairly poor WBA side.

If Vaughan or Morison can deliver the goods, they could be candidates, as could those with further to go - Bennett, Johnson, while Holt has upped his game each season, and Hooly is at his peak. If he gets the delivery he needs, then Jackson could be outstanding.

I am not a betting man, and there is so much uncertainty that it is very difficult to pick success in advance.