Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holt is a Monster

The Probables, Possibles and No Chancers

A quick run through whom we might still be looking to bring in, based on nothing more than gut instinct.

1) Fraser Forster - The obvious place to start. I can''t believe that PL will go into the season with only Rudd and Steer to come in if Ruddy gets injured so someone will come in. Lambert is a man who knows his mind and knows which players he wants. In Jan he tried to get Vaughan and Morison, couldn''t, and so tried Mackail-Smith in March. When that didn''t happen either he went back in June and got Vaughan and Morison, his first choices but didn''t go back for Mackail-Smith. Bear in mind then that FF was the first player Lambert brought to the club and that he spent most of last summer trying to get him back on loan, only giving in and signing Ruddy when he couldn''t wait any longer. Forster was very much his number one choice and Ruddy a consolation, and I don''t see one season changing Lambert''s mind. I''d be surprised if this didn''t happen.

2) Anthony Pilkington - Seems very likely now, based on two things connected to his injury. Firstly Lambert likes picking up players who others might look beyond because of recent injuries (Whitbread, Barnett etc) and he gets a good deal on them. Secondly, with Pilkington coming back from a long lay-off a lot of clubs would wait until January to see how he recovers before taking a punt. If a Premiership team has made a move, then that limits the likely suitors further, and given we are the ones most heavily linked all the pieces seem to fit towards an imminent move.

3) Peter Whittingham - Unfortunately I think this is a case of wishful thinking and agent-fuelled speculation. Cardiff aren''t making much of an attempt to stop their high-earners leaving, hence the speed with which Ipswich were able to snap up Chopra. As such, and with the speed Lambert likes to move at, I doubt very much whether there is any interest in Whittingham or he''d be here already. Pity because I think he''d make an oustanding signing.

4) Matthew Upson - My initial reaction to this was that it was lazy guesswork based purely on the fact that he has local roots. However I think it can''t be ruled out for 2 reasons. Firstly, Lambert and the club will be aware that they haven''t made any "marquee" or experienced Premier League signings, and as much as Lambert isn''t swayed by that as a key component for signings, it will still be at the back of his mind, and if you are to bring in an experienced head, then centre-half is the most influential area you could do so in. Secondly, Upson is going to go somewhere, and his options are lessening by the day. I can''t see any of the top 7 or 8 clubs taking him on, and if he''s left West Ham then he clearly only wants to be playing in the PL. Therefore there are only about a dozen teams he can sign for, and whilst the Bolton''s and Fulham''s may be able to offer more money than us, there''s no guarantee that they''ll want him. Wage wise, both Upson and his agent will know that he''s never going to get offered a deal like his last one, and if he has turned down decent money at West Ham because he wants PL football then he puts himself firmly in the "hungry" catagory as well. I''m not saying it''ll happen or even that Lambert is interested, but I can see reasons why it would make sense from both sides.

5) Robert Snodgrass - Forget all the outlandish figures being bandied about. At the end of the day, he wants PL football and with player power being what it is he''ll get it. The only questions are who he will go to and how much Leeds can get for him. I think we''ve long been priced out of this race and I don''t see Lambert pursuing him any further.

6) Max Gradel - Again, more hot air than actual substance. I think we''ve been used as a name-in-the-frame by his agent to gee up prices. I don''t think he fits the Lambert-type particularly, especially now we''ve brought in Bennett as well.

7) Darren Ambrose - I give this credit because a) CUSDP said it and b) it makes sense in that Ambrose is a good player, coming back off an injury, and would see this as his last crack at the PL. On the minus side, as with Whittingham, if it was going to happen, I think PL would have made it happen by now.

8) Dani Pacheco - If he''s happy to go out on loan for another season, and Dalglish wants to do that rather than cash in on him then I think he''ll go elsewhere. If he were available on a permenent deal, then I think we''d make a bid. However, I don''t see Dalglish making a definitive decision on this until closer to August depending on how his own recruitment goes. Possibly one reason why Lambert has only moved for five of his seven targets before July.

9) Henri Lansbury - As above. I think Lansbury has gone back to Arsenal with the mindset that it''s now or never for his Arsenal career and that if he doesn''t start featuring in the first team regularly then he''ll need to leave. That would put us in a healthy position to barter for his services and we may push the boat out for a player whose value is only going to increase.

Well studied.

Of all those, and it is a tasty bunch, my choice would be Matthew Upson even though I do not consider central defence as vitally in need of a bolster as the goalkeeping position is.

Would not want Foster back, but rather an older experienced head. Clueless who this might be though.

We should keep half an eye open for another striker too.

Give or take another addition, I have the feeling that Lambert is now quite prepared for the great adventure with what he has got. I think that he will now see how it goes and prepare himself for adjustments in the transfer window in the winter.

We do have a few players to unload now, mainly forwards eg. Johnson, Wilbraham and , dare I say it? Simeon Jackson. The latter was a disappointment for the most part of last season and most on here wanted him gone, perhaps as a makeweight in the now defunct M.Smith deal. For sure, with renewed confidence, and a goal or two he played well in a purple patch that belied his hitherto unconvincing performances. I do not see him as Premiership class.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Well studied.

Of all those, and it is a tasty bunch, my choice would be Matthew Upson even though I do not consider central defence as vitally in need of a bolster as the goalkeeping position is.

Would not want Foster back, but rather an older experienced head. Clueless who this might be though.

We should keep half an eye open for another striker too.

Give or take another addition, I have the feeling that Lambert is now quite prepared for the great adventure with what he has got. I think that he will now see how it goes and prepare himself for adjustments in the transfer window in the winter.

We do have a few players to unload now, mainly forwards eg. Johnson, Wilbraham and , dare I say it? Simeon Jackson. The latter was a disappointment for the most part of last season and most on here wanted him gone, perhaps as a makeweight in the now defunct M.Smith deal. For sure, with renewed confidence, and a goal or two he played well in a purple patch that belied his hitherto unconvincing performances. I do not see him as Premiership class.

[/quote]I was almost afraid to agree with you on Simeon Jackson but I can see him having very few first team matches this season and, if the price was right, would not mind seeing us cash in.

Looking at the players already signed, strikers are five, and surely sufficient, the midfield a little extra pace, bite and goal scoring, which leaves a need at the back.

I have a sneking suspicion that PL may wait and see on the goal keeping front - there are often sveral good if not outstanding keepers available.

I am still concerned about the fullbacks, especially at RB where there is little cover. De Laet is a left-sided player, I believe, which may explain why he didnot impress against us.

We have two good fullbbacks, who can bomb forward, three if we count Drury, but how good will they be defensively against the pace and guile of the Premiership? They may cope, and Martin has certainly raised his game since we signed him.

Of the list Upson could be useful, but do we need a cast-off from another prmiership team? The others would be generally good signings, but we have good creative players in the midfield, and now we have Bennett and Johnson to add what was lacking.

My own hope is that PL has his eye on a quick fullback or two.

I think Jackson will start the first game and I don''t see any way PL will move him on unless we get a very silly bid from Leicester or similar.

I don''t see Forster coming here just to sit on the bench.

I''d like Upson but don''t think the wages will be remotely close to what he''s looking for.

I think you''re right on some of the others - Snodgrass, Whittingham, Gradel etc would be here by now if they were coming or there would be stronger rumours about medicals etc just as happened with the ones who have signed so far.

Simeon Jackson, like every other member of the run in 11 deserve their chance next season.

Form is temporary but class is permanant and Jackson showed his class in the last 8 games or so...

[quote user="Salopian"]Looking at the players already signed, strikers are five, and surely sufficient, the midfield a little extra pace, bite and goal scoring, which leaves a need at the back. I have a sneking suspicion that PL may wait and see on the goal keeping front - there are often sveral good if not outstanding keepers available. I am still concerned about the fullbacks, especially at RB where there is little cover. De Laet is a left-sided player, I believe, which may explain why he didnot impress against us. We have two good fullbbacks, who can bomb forward, three if we count Drury, but how good will they be defensively against the pace and guile of the Premiership? They may cope, and Martin has certainly raised his game since we signed him. Of the list Upson could be useful, but do we need a cast-off from another prmiership team? The others would be generally good signings, but we have good creative players in the midfield, and now we have Bennett and Johnson to add what was lacking. My own hope is that PL has his eye on a quick fullback or two.[/quote]

I''d be surprised if we got any more fullbacks in. At LB we have plenty of cover in Tierney, Drury, S Smith, De Laet and possibly Lappin. I believe R Martin will be fine at RB. Then there is Francome who signed a new one contract in April so is obviously rated by Lambert. He''s is still young and unproven but is meant to be a good prospect and then there''s Korey who has enough strength and pace to put in a good shift at RB, as we have seen on several occasions.

Having said that, if R Martin got injured we''d probably need an emergency loan.

Lambert knows what he''s doing though and I''m sure if he feels we are still flimsey in area he will sort it!

[quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

Having said that, if R Martin got injured we''d probably need an emergency loan.

[/quote]

I may be wrong but I thought PL teams couldn''t get players in on emergency loans unless it was something extreme such as a goalkeeping crisis. In other words, once the transfer windows shuts at the end of August we can only do business in January.

[quote user="Give Peas to a Wizard "]Simeon Jackson, like every other member of the run in 11 deserve their chance next season.

Form is temporary but class is permanant and Jackson showed his class in the last 8 games or so...[/quote]Hmm. Jackson is a player who has to be ''in tune'', or his success drops off alarmingly. Complete opposite to Holt, who is much more consistent even when not firing on all cylinders.I have a suspicion Simeon won''t do very well in the Prem. Possibly our least successful 1st team player in fact.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Give Peas to a Wizard "]Simeon Jackson, like every other member of the run in 11 deserve their chance next season.

Form is temporary but class is permanant and Jackson showed his class in the last 8 games or so...[/quote]Hmm. Jackson is a player who has to be ''in tune'', or his success drops off alarmingly. Complete opposite to Holt, who is much more consistent even when not firing on all cylinders.I have a suspicion Simeon won''t do very well in the Prem. Possibly our least successful 1st team player in fact.[/quote]See I think the opposite, he found his form and the team had adapted to his style with the passing of Fox being important to his game. Think he has got pace to burn and will carry his confidence into next season, either way it will be him and Vaughn battling it out for that quick striker role so we will only have the best of the 2 on the pitch, which can only mean a good thing for Norwich!

Like all Norwich I rate Forster highly but for him coming back I''m not so sure. Despite many blinkered fans opinions, Ruddy was very good for most of the season and played a big part in the promotion. He deserves to start as our No1 nxt season. To replace him would seriously undermine teamspirit.

Pilkington - I can see happening as he fits Lamberts criteria and the boy has the choice of staying with perrenial League 1 near missers Huddersfield or coming to Norwich!

Pilkington would be a cheaper option then Snodgrass who I think Lambert wants but Leeds cum have priced us out!

Gradel would probably end up being the same as Snodgrass!

Whittingham - possibly!

Lansbury and Paccheco - I think Lambert would like them both back but that won''t happen until the pair of them have been at pre season training at their respectiv clubs and realise they have no futures at them!

Upson - Never has been that good and is on the slide on. Would only be interested in Norwich now cause it would be his best option. After playing in the World cup and in the Premiership for a number of years with big salary to boot would likely have an ego to match. To me doesn''t fit into the ideal Lambert sort of player category!

[quote user="Salopian"]Looking at the players already signed, strikers are five, and surely sufficient, the midfield a little extra pace, bite and goal scoring, which leaves a need at the back.

I have a sneking suspicion that PL may wait and see on the goal keeping front - there are often sveral good if not outstanding keepers available.

I am still concerned about the fullbacks, especially at RB where there is little cover. De Laet is a left-sided player, I believe, which may explain why he didnot impress against us.

We have two good fullbbacks, who can bomb forward, three if we count Drury, but how good will they be defensively against the pace and guile of the Premiership? They may cope, and Martin has certainly raised his game since we signed him.

Of the list Upson could be useful, but do we need a cast-off from another prmiership team? The others would be generally good signings, but we have good creative players in the midfield, and now we have Bennett and Johnson to add what was lacking.

My own hope is that PL has his eye on a quick fullback or two.[/quote] I have watched the Portsmaouth game again and De Laet actually played at RB and had a very good game, so there is your cover fro Martin.

"Form is temporary but class is permanant and Jackson showed his class in the last 8 games or so..."

Surely that''s completely contradictory? If he only showed he was a good player for the last 8 games out of 46, surely this meant he was on good form then and the previous 38 games were more his level?

I like Jackson as a person and I genuinely believe that without him in the run-in, we would have finished in the play-offs but for me to rate him as a quality player he''ll have to carry this form on into the new season; not just in his goal-scoring record but in terms of his overall play. In the first half of the season, I remember watching entire games where he barely touched the ball and basically didn''t do a thing.

Fingers crossed Mr Jackson is now up-and-running and his start with us was nothing but a Iwanesque blip