Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

Craig Mackail-Smith turns down prem team!

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="Buckethead"]Q.P.R[/quote]That seems to be the case judging by the chatter on the QPR boards. If so, we will  be able to directly judge if this was a lucky escape or missed opportunity for us or in terms ofwhether he makes the grade in the PL. It will certainly be interesting to compare Morrison vs Graham vs CMS at each of the promoted teams and for roughly similar transfer values give or take £0.5M.[/quote]YES... [Y]But with Morison having to challenge 4 quality strikers in Holt, Vaughan, Jackson and Chris Martin and maybe others for a place in our starting line up, while CMS would only have to challenge the likes of Mackie and Tommy Smith, with Graham having no competition at all with Stephen Dobbie his best competition, I hope that those who do the judging do it in terms of actual performance and look at the number of goals scored in relation to the number of minutes each individual has spent on the pitch.As with Simeon for us in the season just gone - he always had a great goals to game ratio.  It becomes far easier for a striker when they get a run of games under their belt and feel valued though.  It is great that we have plenty of competition now upfront, but it could also have it''s pitfalls for us too.I think just this coming season will be too soon to judge.  Let''s see which teams stay in the league and where each of the players are in 3 years time.  I think we have brought well and am pleased that we have plenty of options upfront.  I would have taken Vaughan and Morison over CMS all day long and as for Graham I think that he is a great signing for Swansea, but they have one striker capapble of performing in the Premiership while we have 5 in my opinion.  I know whose shoes I would rather be in going in to the season!

Why all the disrespect for Wigan?? We are in danger of being as arrogant as say a leeds with comments like that...

They play attractive football with a loyal manager, some talented players (and some funny T Bramble) and are primarily a community based club succeeding in spite of not because of its environment. They buy locally and unveil some international gems too.

I would rather have a PL populated by us, Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool clubs with a community heart and real fans than populated by teams and fans with an over inflated sense of their own self importance, overstating how good they and the PL are just by praising being there - the liverpools, evertons are the worst of them now, but the PL is a better place for not having a wet sham and I hope the Villas, newcastles, wolves, QPRs, boltons etc whos fans base is migratory and dependent on the proximity of the latest disinterested in football but keen ion self publicity cash investment that continues to blight our game. They belong in Div 2 with the fans of leeds, forest & Wet sham for having the dellusuion for believing their self proclamations that they are better than the champs and teh natural order of thing is of NCFC Wigan Swansea etc to be auto relegated for the appeasement of their ego and self worth.

As long as we finish out of the relegation zone and above wigan I will be cheering them on - along with other true clubs.

Rant over

(note to self, breathe)

It looks more and more as though CMS, for his own good, should have pressed hard for a move in January. Perhaps he was a little too arrogant in waiting and assuming that we would automatically go in for him at the end of the season.  He has saved us wasting an awful lot of money IMO.

Not just another striker either, one who like others we have would have to prove himself at this level....

CMS has been on fire in the first division but this reminds me of the Cureton days, we signed him off the back of a good season and he flopped big time.

There''s o doubt CMS works hard and is a good prospect for a lower league team like West Ham, but for a premiership team like us we have 5 strikers who need the chance to prove themselves, why add another one to that?

I also doubt that it was City. More likely to be Wigan, who were also in for him and there are now rumours that he will sign for West Ham. I also feel that Lambert has sorted the striker issue, at least until January when we''ll know more about how Holt, Jackson, Morison and Vaughan have done in the Prem. I''d rather see the money spent on a quality DMF player.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I also doubt that it was City. More likely to be Wigan, who were also in for him and there are now rumours that he will sign for West Ham. I also feel that Lambert has sorted the striker issue, at least until January when we''ll know more about how Holt, Jackson, Morison and Vaughan have done in the Prem. I''d rather see the money spent on a quality DMF player.[/quote]

I think it was Wigan too.

Would''ve been a good signing if we hadn''t been promoted but he''s a bit too old and unproven for us now. Also if he turned us down because money is more important to him than where he plays then good luck to him, not our sort of player.

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Leicester have now had an offer accepted for him. Can see him playing in the Championship next season now.[/quote]

I have it on very good authority that the turning down was the other way round, Norwich were not going to be held to ransom by the ever rising price, and to be honest I am truly delighted that Barry Fry''s Bluff has come up and smacked him in the trap, Rumours about Drury going back to Posh is a load of toss, when he packs up with us he will move to the Acadamy.

Think this is more selective memory from Barry Fry than anything. We made a bid which was declined towards the end of last season which has been discussed to death elsewhere on this board. My guess is that we''ve not gone back in for him, but BF trying to raise an auction for his player claims that CMS turned us down.

I may be wrong and it could be that BF is telling how it is - but he''s not got a great track record. Either way don’t expect much of a comment from Norwich and don’t expect to see CMS in canary yellow. Perhaps we can all move on

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Think this is more selective memory from Barry Fry than anything. We made a bid which was declined towards the end of last season which has been discussed to death elsewhere on this board. My guess is that we''ve not gone back in for him, but BF trying to raise an auction for his player claims that CMS turned us down.

I may be wrong and it could be that BF is telling how it is - but he''s not got a great track record. Either way don’t expect much of a comment from Norwich and don’t expect to see CMS in canary yellow. Perhaps we can all move on

[/quote]

HERE HERE

I know that Sky Sports journalism is often incorrect, but if on this rare occasion they are correct about CMS turning down QPR and us, whilst talking to Leicester and West Ham, do you think he is trying to be a big fish in a small pond in the championship, or just after the ridiculous wages either of those two sides will no doubt pay?

I don''t believe for a momehnt that he has turned us down but if he did then it will be beacuse (i) West Ham and leicester are both paying players silly wages for championship clubs this season (I would think more than we would offer) and (ii) he probably realises that if he came to us he would potentially be our 5th choice striker,

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Leicester have now had an offer accepted for him. Can see him playing in the Championship next season now.[/quote]

I have it on very good authority that the turning down was the other way round, Norwich were not going to be held to ransom by the ever rising price, and to be honest I am truly delighted that Barry Fry''s Bluff has come up and smacked him in the trap, [/quote]

I''m glad we weren''t held to ransom by Fry, yes he would have been an asset to us but not at the price they were asking.

I think that''s a fair assessment CA but rightly or wrongly, I feel sorry for CMS.

He seems a decent bloke and is caught in the dreaded Fry (and his chairman) trap.

I hope when he finally gets a club CMS will put the record straight. He owes it to himself!

If he did turn us down it was prior to us signing Morison and Vaughan. There is no way that Lambert would have wanted all three on top of Holt, Jackson & Martin.

I have to say I don''t think CMS would have made our bench in the permiership with who we have.

[quote user="Indy"]If he did turn us down it was prior to us signing Morison and Vaughan. There is no way that Lambert would have wanted all three on top of Holt, Jackson & Martin. I have to say I don''t think CMS would have made our bench in the permiership with who we have.[/quote]

And probably, he himself don''t think he''s a premiership player yet and wants to stay in the chumpionship but not with Fry''s lot

[quote user="Indy"]If he did turn us down it was prior to us signing Morison and Vaughan. There is no way that Lambert would have wanted all three on top of Holt, Jackson & Martin. I have to say I don''t think CMS would have made our bench in the permiership with who we have.[/quote]

I am not so confident as you about our forward strength. New signings apart, I have the following fears.

Although we all hope Grant Holt will have his moments, this will be his highest level.Thus far he has succeeded in lower leagues and he is 28. Is Grant really Prem class?. I hope so, I love the man, but doubts exist.

As well as Simeon played towards the end of last season, I feel he reached his peak. Remember he spent the best part of last season sidelined and was seemingly a favourite amongst fans on this Board to be unloaded. I, myself along with others advocated him as a makeweight in the M-Smith saga, for example.

Chris Martin is not quite there either IMHO. There were some very average performances last season, when he did play. A bit of an enigma with flashes of class, but PL?

I very much hope I am wrong on all three counts, but is there anybody here without the same doubts?  All worth a try though for sure.

Signed,

Woeful Willie

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I am not so confident as you about our forward strength. New signings apart, I have the following fears.

Although we all hope Grant Holt will have his moments, this will be his highest level.Thus far he has succeeded in lower leagues and he is 28. Is Grant really Prem class?. I hope so, I love the man, but doubts exist.

As well as Simeon played towards the end of last season, I feel he reached his peak. Remember he spent the best part of last season sidelined and was seemingly a favourite amongst fans on this Board to be unloaded. I, myself along with others advocated him as a makeweight in the M-Smith saga, for example.

Chris Martin is not quite there either IMHO. There were some very average performances last season, when he did play. A bit of an enigma with flashes of class, but PL?

I very much hope I am wrong on all three counts, but is there anybody here without the same doubts?  All worth a try though for sure.

Signed,

Woeful Willie

[/quote]It brings me no pleasure to highlight Grant Holt''s age at 30. I too have inklings of doubt. I was confident Holt would score about 20 goals this season, but both his markers of mine (Iwelumo and Scotland) struggled massively to make an impact in the Premier League. However neither of the markers were part of a system, least of all integral to it, like Holt is, so i''d suggest his chance is greater. I also think he''s both a better player, and more suited to the Premier League (as a significantly more similar player to the likes of the successful Kevin Davies) in his game than either, without delving too deeply into the dynamics of his play.Should he play regularly, i''m confident he''ll manage a tally of at least 8 goals.As for Jackson, i always had faith he''d cut it to some extent in the Championship on the basis of rational and vague empirical evidence. Whether he can make the step up is hard to say, but when circumstances converge for the benefit of sportsmen they often do surprising things that defy any doubtful preconceptions. For Jackson it is manifesting in such a way, as a previous Non-League footballer, that motivation, fitness and confidence are at their peak. His ability may be doubted by some, but it has never been employed by the Simeon Jackson of today.Whether most people thought, or think he is capable though is completely insubstantial. This never was an ad populum, and if it were, one would be utterly foolish to refer to the fans your speaking of. The list is long, but for lack of imagination i''ll mention the most relative and raise you a Iwan Roberts.As for Chris Martin, even i''m at a bit of a loss. I think he''ll come good, may even come to emulate Shane Long, 2 years his senior, yet remarkably similar in how they''ve progressed. Norwich right now however is no reliably proper founation for his development, and for his own sake, a loan in the second tier would seem most appropriate. Potential is certainly evident enough to warrant perseverance as a player contracted to the club, but not enough to be staked against the future of the club.A 6 month loan perhaps to Brighton (who are in need of a striker, and play a similar brand of football to our own - only slightly more continental), with an option to extend for a full season, may be ideal for him.

Having said all that, i have far less confidence in Steve Morison, and to some extent Vaughan, not least in meeting the price tags that have been mooted in making these two transactions.

if cms ends up at west ham i pity him !!! they wont do anything with "big , i dont know what im doing sam " . he will be another puppet on the strings of them muppets who bought the club !!!! gold , brady and the other fella just like getting their mugs on tv !!!!

[quote user="ziggy"]if cms ends up at west ham i pity him !!! they wont do anything with "big , i dont know what im doing sam " . he will be another puppet on the strings of them muppets who bought the club !!!! gold , brady and the other fella just like getting their mugs on tv !!!![/quote]

Thought he was signing for Leicester.

Barry is up to his old tricks again here, with a public auction of CM-S. "We have turned West Ham down but we expect them to be back in" . Not sure I would want him involved if I was CM-S,  or his agent. Quite why you would publically state that the player has "turned down" us and QPR isnt clear, as it immediately alienates a bunch of supporters unnecessarily. Sounds like "Empty Vessel" syndrome to me....