Sign in to follow this  
@jayncfc

Are the exit doors broken?

Obviously we have just been promoted to the top flight and players still in contract will be wanting to either stay on the fringe and hope that by any means they some how step out on premier league turf, or are taking advantage of their promotion pay rise clauses, but to me it seems the exit door from Carrow Road is firmly stuck at the moment.I find it hard to believe if any offers had come in for the likes of Johnson, Cody or even McNamee they would have been turned down. or would they? Whilst not a selling club now I know, there is still need for natural wastage. The end of contract few have left, but shouldn''t we be clearing out some other cobwebs too?What is the general thoughts on the lack of outward movement. Are we holding on to these players who for the most featured very little in the Championship, or are we struggling to marry them to potential suitors.

If any lower division clubs are interested in any of our players I expect them to wait until nearer the start of the season before signing anyone so they can save some money by minimising the amount of wages they have to pay during the close season. In addition some clubs may be waiting on a player sale before they make an offer for Cody.

as you have eluded to ,a lot may depend on what pay structure they had written into their original contracts in the event of promotion. If their pay has gone up, any Championship club or in some cases League One club that enquires about our players are surely not going to be able to offer as much as they are on at Norwich.

I think its going to be difficult to shift some players on that basis, and if I''m honest you couldn''t really blame those players?

What I would expect to happen is for the likes of Hughes,S.Smith,Johnson,Tudur-Jones,Wilbraham(?),Daley,McDonald to hang around until August 31st to see if they are named in the 25 -man squad. If they aren''t the only way that they are going to be able to play any football ,until January would be to go out on loan (without affecting their wage), so they get the best of both worlds.

I''m afraid we''re going to be saddled with some of these players until their contracts run out.

The thing is we are still very early on in the transfer window. I''m sure we will see a couple of the contracted players leave before the window slams shut.

As far as I am concerned we keep them all as thanks for last years hard slog.With £40 m plus the 3 m from Foulger plus the rise in ticket prices we can afford the extra wages.

Getting rid of Malky and Iwan last time was a great mistake as the odd goal would have kept us up and whose to say that McNamee won''t come good given the chance or any of the others on the fringe given a chance.

We need to show the same loyalty we ask of the players.

[quote user="Bobert"]As far as I am concerned we keep them all as thanks for last years hard slog.With £40 m plus the 3 m from Foulger plus the rise in ticket prices we can afford the extra wages.

Getting rid of Malky and Iwan last time was a great mistake as the odd goal would have kept us up and whose to say that McNamee won''t come good given the chance or any of the others on the fringe given a chance.

We need to show the same loyalty we ask of the players.[/quote]Apart from Steven Smith who''s done knob all, but intends to sit his contract out.  I don''t blame him, but it''s a bummer

[quote user="Bobert"]As far as I am concerned we keep them all as thanks for last years hard slog.With £40 m plus the 3 m from Foulger plus the rise in ticket prices we can afford the extra wages. Getting rid of Malky and Iwan last time was a great mistake as the odd goal would have kept us up and whose to say that McNamee won''t come good given the chance or any of the others on the fringe given a chance. We need to show the same loyalty we ask of the players.[/quote]

Cannot agree with much of that. Why waste money on the wages of these players? It is a scarce commodity in football these days, Premiership money or not. It might be lucrative being there but it is also an expensive league to play in due to wages demands and the sheer cost in the market of buying players of Premiership quality.

Furthermore, most of the players hitherto mentioned were not considered worthy of a Championship place so they are hardly likely to feature in the Premiership, especially as we are still after more signings which will likely push them further down the pecking order.

McNamee shows flashes, but we have better now. Cody should command a fair price after last season''s achievements. The rest will have to be unloaded on frees ASAP in my opinion. I did quite like Hughes at times, but how long is it since he has had a run at first team level now? Johnson is lively, but for a striker not exactly a goal machine. The rest have figured so infrequently that I know nothing about them. Wilbraham maybe, but Premiership? I ask you. Strange buy by Lambert really.

Agree with your opinion on Iwan and Malky, particularly the latter, and didn''t Worthy pay for those mistakes? These two had been regular first teamers, however, not never-used hang-ons.

[quote user="Bobert"]As far as I am concerned we keep them all as thanks for last years hard slog.With £40 m plus the 3 m from Foulger plus the rise in ticket prices we can afford the extra wages. Getting rid of Malky and Iwan last time was a great mistake as the odd goal would have kept us up and whose to say that McNamee won''t come good given the chance or any of the others on the fringe given a chance. We need to show the same loyalty we ask of the players.[/quote]

Dont forget that a 25 man squad limit will result in some of the players not being able to play even if we wanted them to.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

..... The rest have figured so infrequently that I know nothing about them. Wilbraham maybe, but Premiership? I ask you. Strange buy by Lambert really.

[/quote]

I thought Wilbraham was bought as an insurance policy in case Holt got injured during the second half of last season

I heard that as well and it may well be true. That was last season, however and I cannot see the player being successful in the Premiership. He  should have some value on the Market, so sell him and get him off the wages bill.

Incidentally, I have only seen him play live once, so my opinion is largely based upon second-hand  comments. When I saw him I was impressed by his effort and some of his touches, but his limitations were there to be seen.

A decent pro who is clearly a Lambert-type player. I cannot see him catching Fergie''s eye though. Sell him to Ips----. They need a replacement for Wickham and we could fleece them for £750, 000 as they are now rich.

...but what would you rather happen, we pay them off like in the bad old days or we keep them for a few months and try and get a fee.  I know which route I prefer.

[quote user="Ren"]...but what would you rather happen, we pay them off like in the bad old days or we keep them for a few months and try and get a fee.  I know which route I prefer.[/quote]

Me too, but the reality is that only Cody, Wilbraham and McNamee would command any sort of decent fee. I canot see the others having any value simply because it is so long since any of them have tasted first team action. The market is awash with unwanted players at the moment and the new squad limitations will add to this.

On the brighter side, there are 92 clubs, so hopefully these boys can be found a home somewhere. Free or not.

On the other hand, no player with a contract in his hand can be forced to move so they have the final say in any decision about a move. In this case, paying them of,f if they are intent upon staying put is the only answer, like it or not.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="Ren"]...but what would you rather happen, we pay them off like in the bad old days or we keep them for a few months and try and get a fee.  I know which route I prefer.[/quote]

Me too, but the reality is that only Cody, Wilbraham and McNamee would command any sort of decent fee. I canot see the others having any value simply because it is so long since any of them have tasted first team action. The market is awash with unwanted players at the moment and the new squad limitations will add to this.

On the brighter side, there are 92 clubs, so hopefully these boys can be found a home somewhere. Free or not.

On the other hand, no player with a contract in his hand can be forced to move so they have the final say in any decision about a move. In this case, paying them of,f if they are intent upon staying put is the only answer, like it or not.

[/quote]I do not think McNamee nor Wilbraham will command any transfer fees if they go in all honesty. McNamee hasn''t played enough games in the last two years, Wilbraham was bought for around 50K or so, we wont get any more than that for him when we sell him.Like a couple of other posters, i think we will see some of these signings go later in the summer due to wages and so other clubs can see what is available. Can anyone think of any champ clubs who would buy Wilbraham or McNamee, i doubt anyone would and a league 1 club wont be spending more than 100/200K on a player

I think it''s a natural result of our rise from League One to the Prem. If we had followed the original seven-year plan, the contracts of McNamee and Wilbraham would have been coming to an end as we reached the Prem. As it is, we have some players on our books who are clearly nothing like Premier League standard.

As others have said, there''s not much we can do about it if those players decide they''d rather treat Colney as a profitable gym membership, rather than dropping back down to their natural home to actually play some football. Hopefully some of them are smart enough to realise that if they want another club when their contract expires, they should probably play some football in the meantime...

When you look at the list of players released on a free this summer it''s not surprising no one is interested yet.  I''d imagine those clubs are trying to sign any of the free players they can afford to pay, before having to pay a transfer fee for a contracted player.

BBC reckon Oldham are preparing a bid for Cody, other than that we''ll have to wait and see.  i wouldn''t be surprised if most of them stayed and had the odd loan here and there to League 1/2 clubs.

Please Lord, let Barry Fry contact David McNally regarding the availability of Cody or Oli. And, if it is not too much to ask Dear Lord, please let that moment be broadcast on youtube!