Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We could be sitting on a gold mine...

...of player assets. Just suppose that these players that Lambert is picking up DO prove themselves in the premiership. He has paid league 1 and championship transfer fees for them. Any young player that can perform at premiership level is going to command multi million pound transfer fees (contracts not withstanding). Not that we want to think about selling players at this stage, but i think it bodes well for the future.

[quote user="a1canary"]...of player assets.

Just suppose that these players that Lambert is picking up DO prove themselves in the premiership. He has paid league 1 and championship transfer fees for them. Any young player that can perform at premiership level is going to command multi million pound transfer fees (contracts not withstanding). Not that we want to think about selling players at this stage, but i think it bodes well for the future.
[/quote]

Indeed, but on the other hand....

I think Joanna means if things go badly we could be sitting on a lot of expensive duds.

Â£2m+ for Morison could look a waste of money if he fails to score and Norwich get relegated. (Not that either of these things will happen of course).

That is true. Hence use of the word "could"! But also, even if we do get relegated, any players wanting to leave because they are good enough to stay in the prem will still likely command far higher fees than we paid. While the ones that stay will be good championship players. It''s a win win if you ask me.

I think if we do sign Pilkington, he could be the one who could go either way - could be great, or may struggle to get back to his best following his broken leg, made even harder by the jump from League 1 to Premiership.

[quote user="a1canary"]That is true. Hence use of the word "could"! But also, even if we do get relegated, any players wanting to leave because they are good enough to stay in the prem will still likely command far higher fees than we paid. While the ones that stay will be good championship players. It''s a win win if you ask me.
[/quote]

You didn''t use the word "could".

Only joking! It''s true that we aren''t taking any massive risks on players in regards to money - the risk is coming from whether they can step up a level or not. We have what looks like a very good Championship team on paper, it is all about getting them to perform above their normal levels.

Which is why Lambert''s bought young players who want to improve. He''s building a dynasty. Whatever happens next year we have a group of strong players who we can build upon either in the Prem or Championship.

Or rather, to play you at your own favourite hair splitting game, it''s about raising their levels of performance to a new normal and actually making them better players. Think Russel Martin. He didn''t just peform above his normal levels last season, he went to a whole new level. And stayed there, every minute of every game. Just about. Big ask to get all our players to do that, but as you more or less say, it will all rest on how many of these players Lambert and co can do this with.

There is more to it than that. Lambert and the club arnt silly. We cant pay established prem wages without taking a big gamble with future plans. Most of the players we have signed so far have shown they are at least top end championship quality.

So the prices may be high but consider this. If we stay up they wil all look like bargains. If we go down and retain the majority of them then we will have a strong and very competetive squad.

We are investing in the long term with these players. Last time we signed too many players that were a gamble for that season.

I suppose the ''we could be sitting on a gold mine'' means the owners and shareholders of NCFC,and unless you are such a shareholder, this term you coined, does not really apply to the thousands paying through the nose for overpriced players?

BTW, this modern form of trafficking of professionals for some disclosed or undisclosed extraordinarily massive sums, when half of the nation is suffering from cuts, or sucking on stones for nutrition is quiet sickening don''t you think?

These bought assets, as you call them, have seemingly very little to say about their destinations or their future ''use'' for that matter, some clubs, flush with dosh and debts, can afford to have hundreds of milions worth of assets sitting froxen on their benches, their forte is to get paid for training and dangling their toes in front of millions.

What a marveloous sport this has become, no wonder people go back to watching amateur clubs.

[quote user="nevermind"]
I suppose the ''we could be sitting on a gold mine'' means the owners and shareholders of NCFC,and unless you are such a shareholder, this term you coined, does not really apply to the thousands paying through the nose for overpriced players?

BTW, this modern form of trafficking of professionals for some disclosed or undisclosed extraordinarily massive sums, when half of the nation is suffering from cuts, or sucking on stones for nutrition is quiet sickening don''t you think?

These bought assets, as you call them, have seemingly very little to say about their destinations or their future ''use'' for that matter, some clubs, flush with dosh and debts, can afford to have hundreds of milions worth of assets sitting froxen on their benches, their forte is to get paid for training and dangling their toes in front of millions.

What a marveloous sport this has become, no wonder people go back to watching amateur clubs.
[/quote]William Wiberforce will be spinning in his grave...[:)]

I think Team Totty will try and tell us that they are in fact the ones who are sitting on gold mines[;)]

Clearly an unfortunate turn of phrase for those of us more sensitive to the financial state/condition of the game. And i count myself among them. But that''s not what the thread was meant to be about. All it was really about was; we''ve bought in a bunch of players who could - IF we stay up - double or treble in value. Which may or may not be a good thing!

People still tend to talk about football finances in terms of players transfer fee valuation, forgetting that the biggest slice of the budget by far is taken up by players wages. So, in accounting terms, if we count transfer value as an asset, we also need to count contracted wages as a liability.For a good example, look at Hull City and Jimmy Bullard - he became a liability to the club because of his huge wages, no matter what his value might have been on the transfer market.

On the subject of wages, the last time City were in the Prem, Worthy brought in ''experienced'' players like Helveg and Jonson on relatively high wages. The squad never ''gelled'' until Ashton joined in January, a division one player who hit the ground running. He had the hunger that Lambert is now looking for and IMO so do Vaughan, Morison, Bennett, De Laet and Johnson. The first four also have excellent pace to trouble Prem defenders (Huckerby was the only player with that back then). Adding these new players to the solid squad that gained promotion means that injuries and suspensions won''t knobble performance because there are quality playing fighting for their chance. Lambert already has a range of options to exploit if the gold mine is to be achieved (or perhaps retained in this case). Bring it on, I say!