Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1st XI and 7 subs ,as it stands?........

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]tin hat on....RuddyR MartinTierneyDe LaetWhitbreadCroftsBennettJohnsonSurmanJackson Vaughan4-1-3-2subs Rudd, Holt, Whitbread, Ward, Morrison, hoolahan, foxlike it or not the Premiership is about pace,.. the one thing blackpool lacked last season (campbell apart) and the one thing Wigan had...Bennett, Surman, Jackson and Vaughan all have pace... Holt sadly doesnt, neither does fox. I have a feeling experienced premiership defenders are going to have Wes in their pocket unless he either gets a more physical aspect to his game or learns to use his right foot quickly.[/quote]

Surman has pace ???!??, I''d argue that''s his worst attribute!, see Hull,Swansea,Watford away last season??

Seconded, GJL. I started off thinking Surman was carrying an injury till I realised he is naturally really slow. Classy touch, but certainly one of the slowest footballers I''ve ever seen.

Le Tissier has said he would be a top Premier player but for his complete lack of speed.

Ruddy

Martin Barnett Whitbread Tierny

Crofts Fox

Bennett Hoolahan Surman

Holt

Subs: Rudd, De Laet, Ward, Johnson, Vaughan, Jackson, Morrison

Can''t see it being too different to the end of last season - Lambert has always shown faith in players and Wigan is a good game to give those who proved their worth in the Championship a chance to perform.

Only difference is Barnett - has to be in the first X1 as the best centre back we have.....

....and Bennett for Jackson - unlucky on Jackson here but balance will be needed.

However, I expect the team to be evolving and those player on the bench will get their chance....

Personally I''d like to see

----------------------------Ruddy----------------------------

Russ---------Ward----------------Whitbread--Tierny

----------------Johnson-------------Crofts----------------

Bennett---------------Hoolahan----------Pilkington

----------------------------Holt-------------------------------

Morison, Vaughan, De Laet, Barnett, Fox, Surman and a new GK as subs.

Ruddy

Martin Barnett Whitbread Tierney

Crofts

Bennett Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Jackson

Subs: Rudd, Drury, De Laet, Fox, Johnson, Morison, Vaughan.

I''ve chosen Jackson because he helped us fire into this league. I think as it stands Lambert is the type to use Jackson, because, I think that it would be unfair that the man who got us here has been dropped down the pecking order for no reason other than opinion. I dropped Fox because I don''t think that Lambert can see us being able to play our passing game, so I think he''ll go for Crofts has he provides alot more bite.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]tin hat on....RuddyR MartinTierneyDe LaetWhitbreadCroftsBennettJohnsonSurmanJackson Vaughan4-1-3-2subs Rudd, Holt, Whitbread, Ward, Morrison, hoolahan, foxlike it or not the Premiership is about pace,.. the one thing blackpool lacked last season (campbell apart) and the one thing Wigan had...Bennett, Surman, Jackson and Vaughan all have pace... Holt sadly doesnt, neither does fox. I have a feeling experienced premiership defenders are going to have Wes in their pocket unless he either gets a more physical aspect to his game or learns to use his right foot quickly.[/quote]Surman doesnt have pace, which is why his game is about his interaction, link up play, technique on the ball and assists/goals - if he had pace he''d be one hell of a player!With Hoolahan im not sure what will happen, he will certainly get his chance and more than likely be in the starting 11 for the first game though how long the diamond is stuck with depends how effective it is. In League 1 once oppositions worked it out, Wes was pretty annonymous for a lot of games in the latter stages of the season however in the championship for some reason he had a lot more success and it was sustained throughout the season. Will premiership clubs really give that much respect to our diamond and choose one player to man-mark Wes out of the game? and with the pace of players like Vaughan/Bennett/Jackson even if he was we would be able to exploit the space.

RuddyMartin      Barnett   Whitbread   Tierney                         Johnson               Crofts              Surman                         Hoolahan                Holt                 MorisonSubs - Rudd, De Laet, Fox, Bennett, Lappin, Vaughan, JacksonI think we will go with the diamond initially as PL has stuck with it from almost Day 1 - plus most prem teams won''t have faced us playing it. Morison has been the most costly of all our signings so think he will go with him and Holt. Bennett won''t play in a diamond system from the start. Johnson has a bit more bite defensively than Fox so might get the vote. De Laet & Lappin make the bench on account of their versatility - a bit harsh on Ward & Drury perhaps...

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]do you really think we''d have just spent £5.5m on two new strikers to switch to playing just one up front ?![/quote]Honestly - yep.Think there is a concern over how lightweight our midfield would be in the Prem.........Lambert has always been one for fire power on the bench.....

Ruddy

Martin Barnett Ward Tierney

Fox

Crofts Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Morison

subs, Rudd,De Laet,Whitbread,Johnson,Bennett,Vaughan,Pilkington

I''m still sticking with my OP as the starting XI, but the signing of Pilkington together with Bennett now make it a high probability of a change of formation??

Interesting to see how many people are overlooking Fox at the base of the diamond - his range of passing will be crucial in the prem!

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Interesting to see how many people are overlooking Fox at the base of the diamond - his range of passing will be crucial in the prem![/quote]I''d agree AJ. I''m not anti Johnson but why should he waltz in and take a place?

[quote user="Barnett is King"][quote user="AJ Wizard"]Interesting to see how many people are overlooking Fox at the base of the diamond - his range of passing will be crucial in the prem![/quote]I''d agree AJ. I''m not anti Johnson but why should he waltz in and take a place? [/quote]Because ultimately, Fox offers a cultured playmaker but not the protection the back four will require on occasion. I can see Fox playing against the Wigans of the word, but not the Manchester Utds where we''ll need more protection and fight.