Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1st XI and 7 subs ,as it stands?........

Where does everyone think we stand at the moment with this following our latest signing today?

I''ll take a stab at,

Ruddy

Martin    Barnett   Ward   Tierney

Fox

Crofts               Surman

Hoolahan

Holt                    Morison

subs, Rudd,De Laet,Whitbread,Johnson,Bennett,Vaughan,Jackson.

what it does show, unless anyone else disagrees is that we have only improved our first XI by one player thus far. Not neccesarily a bad thing as this may just be a confirmation that we have a very good team and that the budget that Lambert has been given simply doesn''t buy players who are better than those already here??

RuddyR Martin   De Laet     Barnett    Tierney               Fox            CroftsBennett        Hoolahan         Vaughan                     HoltSubs: Rudd, Whitbread, Ward, Johnson, Surman, Jackson, Morison

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Wizard"]                         Ruddy
R Martin   De Laet     Barnett    Tierney
               Fox            Crofts
Bennett        Hoolahan         Vaughan
                     Holt

Subs: Rudd, Whitbread, Ward, Johnson, Surman, Jackson, Morison

[/quote][Y]

Ruddy

R.Martin         De Laet      Whitbread    Tierney

Crofts

Bennett                                      Surman

Hoolahan

Holt                      Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, Ward, Barnett, Johnson, Fox, Morison, Jackson                         

I would be surprised if De Laet was in the team ahead of any of Ward/Whitbread/Barnett.

[quote user="GJP"]I would be surprised if De Laet was in the team ahead of any of Ward/Whitbread/Barnett.[/quote]

I just put him in because he is known for pace, and not sure for Barnett will be ready for start of season or not? He might need a few reserve games under his belt. Anyone know how he''s getting on?

Ruddy

R.Martin Barnett Whitbread Tierney

Fox

Crofts Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, De Laet, Ward, Johnson, Bennett, Morison, Jackson

Reckon Barnett should have had plenty of time to recover by the start of the season.

Much will depend on the pre-season period, but I would suspect that De Laet will be one of the CBs, and probably with Whitbread - most constructive, or with Barnett to give us two quick defenders.

(I would not expect Ward to figure very much, as he lacks pace.)

Otherwise your selection could be about right - any two strikers from Vaughan, Morison, Holt and Jackson. Sentiment, if nothing else, suggests that Holt will be captain and pencilled in first, but who his fellow striker will be is difficult to forecast, and will depend on evaluation of performance in the pre-season games and training.

That squad will give cover everywhere except RB, and Korey may struggle to get on the bench, even.

From previous years one or two players have picked up knocks in training and pre-season games, so we may be surprised.

Ruddy

RMartin, Barnett, Whitbread, Tierney

Crofts, Fox, Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Vaughan

Subs Rudd, De Laet, Johnson, Bennett, Jackson, Morrison, C.Martin

Ruddy,

Martin, Barnett, Ward, De Leat,

Crofts, Johnson,

Bennett, Hoolahan, Surman,

Holt,

Subs: Ruddy, Whitbread, Tierney, Jackson, Morison, Vaughan & Smith or Fox or Martin or ANO

I am a tad surprised that three posters can only see one of what is at the moment five new signings making it into the starting eleven.

" am a tad surprised that three posters can only see one of what is at the moment five new signings making it into the starting eleven."

Can''t say I am. I think Lambert will start with what is, after all, a very settled side rather than make wholesale changes from the off.

My guess is that things will change gradually over the season, and that all the newbies will end up making a good number of appearances. Especially with De Laet, Johnson and Bennett being so versatile.

[quote user="Salopian"]Much will depend on the pre-season period, but I would suspect that De Laet will be one of the CBs, and probably with Whitbread - most constructive, or with Barnett to give us two quick defenders. (I would not expect Ward to figure very much, as he lacks pace.)  [/quote]

Whitbread is no quicker than Ward and Ward is just as good with the ball at his feet, infact Ward is probably better with the ball because he can play with both feet.

For some bizarre reason he just doesn''t get as much praise on here.

I''m not sure I inderstand the clamour to select a defender who was playing at full back for Preston and Portsmouth last season, at centre half ahead of defenders who were part of a team who finished runners-up ?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m not sure I inderstand the clamour to select a defender who was playing at full back for Preston and Portsmouth last season, at centre half ahead of defenders who were part of a team who finished runners-up ?!?[/quote]Ambrose plays for Palace but he would get into our starting 11. So would Sharp, Nugent, Gunarrson etc. Crap teams can have good players. Also don''t forget he got player of the season for Man U reserves which is something and Fergie rates him or we would have bought him.

RuddyMartin,  Barnett,  De Laet,  Tierny                       FoxBennet                              Surman                    Hoolahoop                 Holt      Morrisonsubs, Rudd,Ward,Whitbread,Johnson,Bennett,Vaughan,JacksonI think we need to improve left back get an experienced CB. We conceded 58 goals, & playing attacking football is gonna leave us even more exposed at the back at Prem level, some teams are gonna put away every chance they get.Also if Lambo loaned De Laet he is in his first 11 plans.

[quote user="Crispy"                     RuddyMartin,  Barnett,  De Laet,  Tierny                       FoxBennet                              Surman                    Hoolahoop                 Holt      Morrisonsubs, Rudd,Ward,Whitbread,Johnson,Bennett,Vaughan,JacksonI think we need to improve left back get an experienced CB. We conceded 58 goals, & playing attacking football is gonna leave us even more exposed at the back at Prem level, some teams are gonna put away every chance they get.Also if Lambo loaned De Laet he is in his first 11 plans.quote]

[quote user="Crispy"                     RuddyMartin,  Barnett,  De Laet,  Tierny                       FoxBennet                              Surman                    Hoolahoop                 Holt      Morrisonsubs, Rudd,Ward,Whitbread,Johnson,Bennett,Vaughan,JacksonI think we need to improve left back get an experienced CB. We conceded 58 goals, & playing attacking football is gonna leave us even more exposed at the back at Prem level, some teams are gonna put away every chance they get.Also if Lambo loaned De Laet he is in his first 11 plans.quote]

Come on Crispy, you''re not even going to have Crofty on the bench????

Ruddy

Martin De Laet Barnett Tierney

Johnson Fox

Vaughan Hoolahan Surman

Holt

Subs

Rudd Lappin Ward Crofts Bennett Morison Jackson/Martin

Ruddy

Martin Barnett Whitbread De Laet

Crofts Fox

Bennett Hoolahan Surman

Holt

Subs: Rudd, Tierney, Ward, Johnson, Vaughan, Jackson, Morrison

Ruddy

R.Martin         Barnett      Whitbread      Tierney

Fox

Crofts             Surman

Hoolahan

Holt                  Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, De Laet, Ward, Johnson, Bennett, Morison, Jackson.

Thats the team I think will start the first game but maybe with the exception of the centre backs because I reckon Lambert is going to buy a real experienced centre back who will start from the off.  I think this team and formation will be very different come the end of the season though.  If you look at our League One team and Championship team then they are very different.  I think we may end up going 4-4-2 because when you play the diamond against good wingers then we will get torn apart.  If we play 4-4-2 though it could mean dropping Hoolahan which I don''t think Lambert will be scared to do because he''s done it before.  Also out of the midfield I have put above I think Crofts could actually be the one who struggles to make the step up the most.  I also expect De Laet to become a regular a long with the other centre back we will buy.  I think our team could end up looking like this;

Ruddy

R.Martin     New signing      De Laet      Tierney

Bennett             Fox         Johnson      Pilkington*

Holt            Vaughan

*obviously thats only IF Pilkington signs.

I have just read my post again and obviously my second team could be completely wrong but if it did become true then I am doubting whether or not that team will be able to survive.

I''m quite surprised at how few people have put Morison in their 1st XI. A club like Norwich doesn''t spend £2.1-£2.8m on a player to leave on the bench??....infact, with 20 goals in the championship last season, the more I think about it ,I believe he''s more likely to start than Vaughan ?

Hate doing this considering we don''t know who else is coming in etc but this would be my starting 11 right now

Ruddy

R Martin Barnett Whitbread Tierney

Fox

Surman Crofts

Hoolahan

Holt Morison

SUBS: Rudd, Ward, De Laet, Johnson, Surman, Vaughan, Jackson

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m quite surprised at how few people have put Morison in their 1st XI. A club like Norwich doesn''t spend £2.1-£2.8m on a player to leave on the bench??....infact, with 20 goals in the championship last season, the more I think about it ,I believe he''s more likely to start than Vaughan ?[/quote]

I''m quite surprised at how many people have left out Elliott Ward.

If anyone wants to know who our most underrated player is I think the answer must be him.

Pretty sure all his doubters are going to find out that the manager rates him considerably higher than they do.

tin hat on....RuddyR MartinTierneyDe LaetWhitbreadCroftsBennettJohnsonSurmanJackson Vaughan4-1-3-2subs Rudd, Holt, Whitbread, Ward, Morrison, hoolahan, foxlike it or not the Premiership is about pace,.. the one thing blackpool lacked last season (campbell apart) and the one thing Wigan had...Bennett, Surman, Jackson and Vaughan all have pace... Holt sadly doesnt, neither does fox. I have a feeling experienced premiership defenders are going to have Wes in their pocket unless he either gets a more physical aspect to his game or learns to use his right foot quickly.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]tin hat on....RuddyR MartinTierneyDe LaetWhitbreadCroftsBennettJohnsonSurmanJackson Vaughan4-1-3-2subs Rudd, Holt, Whitbread, Ward, Morrison, hoolahan, foxlike it or not the Premiership is about pace,.. the one thing blackpool lacked last season (campbell apart) and the one thing Wigan had...Bennett, Surman, Jackson and Vaughan all have pace... Holt sadly doesnt, neither does fox. I have a feeling experienced premiership defenders are going to have Wes in their pocket unless he either gets a more physical aspect to his game or learns to use his right foot quickly.[/quote]Barnett should be in the first teamm for whitbread by the way. a typo!

I would imagine Hoolahan and Holt will be the first names on the team sheet?

It''s a hard one as however well people played last year, Lambo always plays his new signings.

Ruddy

Martin Barnett De Laet Tierney

Johnson

Bennett Surman

Hoolahan

Vaughan/Morrison Holt

Subs: Rudd, Whitbread, Ward, Fox, Crofts, Jackson, Vaughan/Morrison

Poor Druzza and Korey aren''t going to get a look in!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I have a feeling experienced premiership defenders are going to have Wes in their pocket unless he either gets a more physical aspect to his game or learns to use his right foot quickly.
[/quote]

I reckon there will be quite a lot of experienced Premier League players who struggle to get to grips with Wes. He''s no more dependent on his left foot than most right footed players are on their right foot.

Something that seems to be overlooked about Wes because of his size is that he is actually very good at shielding the ball and you rarely see him give the ball away just by being muscled off it.

He''s going to cause teams a lot of problems.