Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Pilkington

For once Smudger is right.If he signs, you really think we''ll start with Bennett right and Pilkington left and adopt a 4-4-2 that we haven''t adopted, apart from one off games, since the days of Gunn? Pilkington is just trying to put himself in the shop window, plus we shouldn''t be interested just because Wolves and Stoke are. I''d be extremely disappointed to buy another decent League One player. Why would Pilkington automatically be assigned to set pieces because he takes them for Huddersfield? Christ, give Lappin a chance left-midfield! Premier League teams aren''t made up of match winners.

[quote user="Smudger"]haha if only life and football was as simple as drawing up basic stats like that and drawing conclusions.

[/quote]You mean like you did here.....

"Simeon''s goal ratio for the number of minutes he actually spent on the pitch was actually pretty good"

If stats like these are unreliable, why use them?

[quote user="Carra Rud"]For once Smudger is right.

Smudger has been right many times, I just can''t see why he is so averse to this (rumoured) move.

If he signs, you really think we''ll start with Bennett right and Pilkington left and adopt a 4-4-2 that we haven''t adopted, apart from one off games, since the days of Gunn?

No, it''s quite obvious that PL is building a squad capable of adopting to many formations, with players comfortable playing in different positions.

Pilkington is just trying to put himself in the shop window, plus we shouldn''t be interested just because Wolves and Stoke are.

We are not interested just because they are, a bit of homework shows that.

I''d be extremely disappointed to buy another decent League One player. Why would Pilkington automatically be assigned to set pieces because he takes them for Huddersfield?

Why would he? Did anyone say that he would automatically get first choice? It''s another option.

Christ, give Lappin a chance left-midfield! Premier League teams aren''t made up of match winners.

Oh please... he''s a reasonable player but how many appearances do you actually think he will make this coming season?
[/quote]

Cheers for clearing that up, Joanna.Fortunatley it is only a rumour. He''s not really another option though because he brings nothing new to the squad. In that case, you can compensate the signing of anyone as ''another option''.Why not give Lappin a chance? I agree, he''ll barely play at all this season but he''s earnt it more than Pilkington - who didn''t even get out of League One this season. He''s not even proven in the Championship! McNamee has more about him and I don''t even rate the guy.

Just for the record Huddersfield wouldn''t owe Stockport anything in terms of a sell on clause. When Stockport were in financial problems last season, Huddersfield saw an opportunity and sensibly bought out his 25% sell on clause. It should earn them some extra money in the long term. I don''t get why people are placing Bennett and Pilkington in direct competition with each other. If we want to play 4-4-2 then both would need to start to give us balance.

While I don''t think he was good enough for the championship I think what has contributed to McNamee being a slight disappointment is not only that he has been played out of position on the right but also the fact that when we have gone 4-4-2 he has been the only genuine winger operating. So the opposition are able to double up on him, knowing that there was little threat from the other side.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Cheers for clearing that up, Joanna.

Fortunatley it is only a rumour. He''s not really another option though because he brings nothing new to the squad. In that case, you can compensate the signing of anyone as ''another option''.

Last time I looked, and that was before Bennett arrived I don''t think we were exactly over-flowing with goal-scoring wingers who could get pin-point crosses into the box.

Why not give Lappin a chance? I agree, he''ll barely play at all this season but he''s earnt it more than Pilkington - who didn''t even get out of League One this season. He''s not even proven in the Championship!

Why not get Gill and Askou back then? Or how about cancelling Morison''s and Vaughan''s contracts and letting Oli and Daley have a crack at the Premiership?

McNamee has more about him and I don''t even rate the guy.

Now I know you''re on a wind-up.

[/quote]

Also I am concerned we are considering spending around £2 million on a guy with a very serious injury. He has only just started sprinting and kicking a ball again. Will he necessarily be the same player again? Will he has that same burst of pace? What about the mental aspect of it as well? If a defender kicks him and singles him out for some rough treatment will he be bold enough to pick himself up and keep going?

Such a shallow view of football. Cross = Goal. Is that Tony Pulis? I wouldn''t call Pilkington a goal-scoring winger. More of a left/right midfield who could put in a decent shift.For arguments sake, Lappin played alot in League One and quite abit last season. The others haven''t.Finally someone else sees some sense.

According to Sky Sports, Leicester now in for him:

"Skysports.com understands Leicester have entered the race for Huddersfield winger Anthony Pilkington.

The 23-year-old is regarded as one of the best young talents in the Football League after impressing at Huddersfield during the last few seasons.

Pilkington looks set to quit Huddersfield after expressing his desire to leave the Galpharm Stadium.

Norwich are thought to be chasing the former Stockport man as they prepare for life in the Premier League, but Leicester are hoping to win the race for Pilkington''s services.

Ambitious Leicester are in talks with Huddersfield as they look to thrash out a deal to bring Pilkington to the Walkers Stadium.

Foxes boss Sven Goran Eriksson is keen to build a side capable of winning promotion from the Championship next season and he sees Pilkington as a key addition to his squad.

If Eriksson is successful in his pursuit of Pilkington he could become the second Huddersfield player to join Leicester following the arrival of Lee Peltier earlier this summer."

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Such a shallow view of football. Cross = Goal. Is that Tony Pulis? I wouldn''t call Pilkington a goal-scoring winger. More of a left/right midfield who could put in a decent shift.

For arguments sake, Lappin played alot in League One and quite abit last season. The others haven''t.

Finally someone else sees some sense.
[/quote]

I''m calling game over on this one, there''s a certain point that you can take a wind-up to, good effort though.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Such a shallow view of football. Cross = Goal. Is that Tony Pulis? I wouldn''t call Pilkington a goal-scoring winger. More of a left/right midfield who could put in a decent shift.For arguments sake, Lappin played alot in League One and quite abit last season. The others haven''t.Finally someone else sees some sense.[/quote]

I''m calling game over on this one, there''s a certain point that you can take a wind-up to, good effort though.

[/quote]Touché.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]haha if only life and football was as simple as drawing up basic stats like that and drawing conclusions.

[/quote]You mean like you did here.....

"Simeon''s goal ratio for the number of minutes he actually spent on the pitch was actually pretty good"

If stats like these are unreliable, why use them?

[/quote]Because people like you use them all the time.  However when you do you seem to leave out some of the stats just to in an attempt to give your majority view some credibility.We would still have Cody McDonald upfront, the Doc at centre half and Simon Lappin on the wing if you were manager Lapps.After all we replaced two of those players with the crap Simeon Jackson and the useless Elliot Ward didn''t we???

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Cheers for clearing that up, Joanna.Fortunatley it is only a rumour. He''s not really another option though because he brings nothing new to the squad. In that case, you can compensate the signing of anyone as ''another option''.Why not give Lappin a chance? I agree, he''ll barely play at all this season but he''s earnt it more than Pilkington - who didn''t even get out of League One this season. He''s not even proven in the Championship! McNamee has more about him and I don''t even rate the guy.[/quote]Oh dear, I am so glad that I didn''t say that given the majority view of him on here.  I hope you have found your tin hat???

I am starting to think that Pilkington is no longer on our wanted list, but that he will get harped on about by many until he signs for somebody else.  Maybe a Championship team like Leicester/West Ham/Brum et la Craig Mackail-Smith.

[quote user="Smudger"]However when you do you seem to leave out some of the stats just to in an attempt to give your majority view some credibility.

Oh dear, I am so glad that I didn''t say that given the majority view of him on here.

[/quote]Is that a new word you''ve learned today smudger?

Reading your recent rantings and ramblings on here makes me wish you were one of Bly''s "silent majority".

Yes, you have stated exactly what is concerning me. If Pilkington had not suffered that injury then I would be all for us signing him. BUT, that injury he suffered is a very nasty one. Look up a picture of it on the net, his ankle looks really fucked. Notman''s career was ended by a far less serious looking injury than this. £500k for Pilkington is worth the gamble but not for the £2 million fee being quoted.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]I wouldn''t call Pilkington a goal-scoring winger. More of a left/right midfield who could put in a decent shift.[/quote]Considering he plays on the wing of a front 3, I would say he''s more of a winger then a wide midfielder.And I''d say 1 in 3 last season for a winger is good, so therefore I would call him a goal-scoring winger.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"].

£500k for Pilkington is worth the gamble but not for the £2 million fee being quoted.
[/quote]

But the deal may be structured in such a way that a large portion of the £2m is in the form of add ons related to appearance milestones

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]Was it the mirror that broke the gunn being sacked story? One newspaper was definitely ahead of the game, just can''t remember which.[/quote]

One of the Mirror''s sport journalists is a Norwich supporter and seems to have some kind of links within the club. So you may be right in thinking it was them.

[quote user="Adam NCFC"][quote user="LeJuge"]"He''s decent but should we be spending millions on another league 1 player?"It annoys me when people offer a thinly veiled criticism but offer no alternative options.We have a right winger, and now need a left winger to enable Lambert to play a 4-4-2. McNamee will stay as an emmergency winger as he can play left or right.Seeing as that we now need a left winger, and you seem to object to us signing one from League One, who is it exactly that you propose we buy instead? The best left winger in The Championship, Kris Commons, went to Celtic 6 months ago. I look forward to seeing your long list of options for what is the hardest position to fill in world football. For a team to have two decent left wingers within a decade (e.g. Eadie and Huckerby) is in itself a massive rarity. We were clearly priced out of Snodgrass, whilst Scott Sinclair got promoted. There is nothing wrong with being critical, or critiquing, if you offer alternatives..... but if you don''t come up with alternatives it can really dent your credibility. In fact, not sure why I even wasted the energy on this post. [/quote]Well after that essay I think you should feel a bit silly that he plays on the right wing. [/quote]Perhaps you should be feeling a little silly after your own literary masterpiece. Anthony Pilkington can play left wing, right wing, or up front. He even played numerous games on the left for Huddersfield last year, often switching from the right. It is common sense that if purchased he would feature on the left, seeing as we have Bennett on the right. The bloke is almost both footed, about 100/90, just like Darren Huckerby. Elliott Bennett is pretty one footed. That is Pilkingtons entire game, switching feet, constantly, cutting inside, cutting outside, crossing with his right, crossing with his left. He can play right, he can play left. It doesn''t matter where Huddersfield played him, Paul McVeigh wasn''t a left midfielder either when we signed him, neither was he a right midfielder, he was a striker. As was Hucks. A both footed player is a right sided player, a left sided player, and a player in the middle. I know which one will be playing on the left should we sign both, although of course it is likely that Pilkington was merely second choice to Bennett. I doubt you have seen either of them though, you don''t seem to understand what type of player Pilkington is. Here''s a question posed to Pilkington: “As a right-winger, do you have any tips on how to be as effective playing on the left?”Answer: “Always practise with your left foot if it’s weaker – I always have – because then you can mix it up: you can go down the line and cross, come inside to shoot or play one-twos with the strikers. The first couple of times you get the ball, test the full-back to see what he’s got. If he shows you down the line, you can feint to go that way and he might fall for it – then you can come inside. Or do the opposite: feint to come inside and go down the line as he’ll be off-balance at that point. But don’t always do the same thing because the defender will end up second-guessing you and you’ll become predictable. It’s all about making the right decisions at the right times. It always helps to have people running off the ball, though – your full-back or whoever. Look at Barcelona and Arsenal, who are probably the two best teams in the world at creating space at the moment. There’s so much movement off the ball that they always seem to be able to make space for the man on the ball.”Shove that up your backside, he knows how to play left, that''s from the man himself.

Just in case you need more:Pilkington, like Snodgrass, can play on both flanks, as well as being able to be deployed as a striker. Pundits have been impressed by the Huddersfield star`s crossing ability and set pieces, with the player being comfortable with both feet scoring 10 goals in 31 league appearances last season.

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=244919#ixzz1R60caHQD
That''s from the 20th June. Do an f''in Google search before presenting yourself as a know it all twot.

I am sure he will be a good squad addition PROVIDED the leg is sound . I suffered a Double fracture dislocation of my Right leg/ankle years ago and it took a year + before I could walk properly. I know things have moved on medically in the last 20 years but He only broke the leg in MARCH !!  I do wonder what his fitness will be like at the start of the season even if the leg is healed or healing well .

Without seeing, and being unqualified to understand his medical report findings, this seems like a well dodgy signing imo.

But if Lamberrts happy with it we should be too.

From what i''ve seen of this guy and heard of him in the last few seasons this could be a very canny signing. The obvious doubt is the injury but frankly its worth taking a punt and in today''s super inflated market £2 million is not that much money. He certainly looks better value that Snodgrass at £8m or Wickham at £13m!

I do think we need to bring in some experience but I guess the areas where experience is less improtant are the wide attacking areas where pace and a bit of flair goes a long way. We now have genuinely pacey options left and right and as well a 3 or 4 really creative players. I guess we may even see Surman play in the middle occasionally next season as well now we have some genuine wingers.

If Pilkington signs then i think that will be it for us in terms of attacking players. I would then want to see a GK, CB and defensive midfielder brought in with the latter two being experienced prem players.

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]Was it the mirror that broke the gunn being sacked story? One newspaper was definitely ahead of the game, just can''t remember which.[/quote]

It was the Mirror.

http://www.htafc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10312~2386355,00.html

That''s the latest from our chairman. Someone has posted on our forum that he has signed for you for £2.3m rising to £2.8m

You are getting a quality player if this is true. He''s right footed naturally but equally as comfortable on his left. Great shot on him and a great crosser of the ball.

There is an element of risk with the injury, however, it was the same as Antonio Valencia''s and he saw the same surgeon...Valencia came back the same, so if Pilks does you''ve got a gem!